• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fish & Meat paste from the 50s and 60s

I loved Masons shop. Was talking to someone today about or old shops, the smell, the sound and the cold. I think we could go in to a shop with our eyes closed and know where we were. I could anyway
Yes, I really liked them as well! I used work at a butcher on Soho Rd, there was one two doors down. On a Saturday I would go and buy a slice of cheddar cut with a wire and have it between two slices of Hovis with HP sauce!

And this from my last week's shop. They still do all the stuff we used to have as kids but I don't know who actually makes it.View attachment 169875
I worked for a while in the weighing and packaging industry. That included occasional visits to foodstuff producers. Opened my eyes a bit seeing who produces which brand labels. Sometimes there were minor ingredient changes, ( less of the expensive bits ), a lot of the time the only changes were to the roll in the label applicator.
Andrew.

I worked for a while in the weighing and packaging industry. That included occasional visits to foodstuff producers. Opened my eyes a bit seeing who produces which brand labels. Sometimes there were minor ingredient changes, ( less of the expensive bits ), a lot of the time the only changes were to the roll in the label applicator.
Andrew.
Andrew, I worked for a global US company for over 20 years. We made 33 different brands, about 5 were different the rest were the same except the label or printing! This goes on far more than we think, at least it should keep prices down but you never know!

Andrew, I worked for a global US company for over 20 years. We made 33 different brands, about 5 were different the rest were the same except the label or printing! This goes on far more than we think, at least it should keep prices down but you never know!
i noticed that in some stores a lot of items were all the same make with a different packaging

Hi,

I used to love Salmon and Shrimp Paste, but I can't seem to
find it these days. Does anyone know if you can still get it?

Kind regards
Dave

My Nan always bought Shippam's and it was just known as fish paste, regardless of what was on the label. So it all tasted the same to me. There was always a half eaten jar on the kitchen table - no fridges in those days. Would sometimes have it on a slice of Mothers Pride bread, coated with Summer County margarine. I suppose it was a poor man's pate.
Shippams.jpg summer county.jpg

I probably had the fish paste to mask the taste of the margarine:p

I remember the Shippam's shop in Chichester. It too had a smell. At the time they also made , for local consumption, a lot of fresh products, pies, sausages etc. One thing I did find a little peculiar was that they were given a royal warrant to supply meat and fish pastes to the Queen. Somehow I cannot imagine the Queen eating bloater paste sandwiches

I remember the Shippam's shop in Chichester. It too had a smell. At the time they also made , for local consumption, a lot of fresh products, pies, sausages etc. One thing I did find a little peculiar was that they were given a royal warrant to supply meat and fish pastes to the Queen. Somehow I cannot imagine the Queen eating bloater paste sandwiches
i hope HRH dont read that SHE WILL NOT BE AMUSED:worried:

Andrew.
My mum's first job (Saturday job) was in Miss Cook's shop, probably Wordsley Amblecote or Stourbridge, she churned the butter then cut and weighed it on brass scales like the libra sign and patted it with wooden patters, she weighed the tea and sugar and was taught how to make air tight packets that the tea and sugar stayed in, she weighed the cheese and learned how to tie parcels. Mum was very good at wrapping presents, I used to sit spellbound , she would say lend us your finger.
Another lady had a shop in the war that sold bacon, Nan said it was rawmy and once it had flies eggs on it which the shop keeper had wiped off and washed down. They were all ill, she almost go shut down but there was a war on.

Back