• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moor Street Station

Interesting to see that photo, Thanks. I was never on that part of Moor Street Station in the old days as I never got past the ticket barriers. I did, of course, catch glimpses of it as we went past it into the tunnel to Snow Hill. Also I have never before seen the goods platform and buildings on the left hand side.

DMU's, buses with metal wheels. ;) I see then if I am in Paignton by the level crossing in the town centre. Bone shakers which are a pain in the proverbial to road users and pedestrians. :eek:

The Pacers which have now been withdrawn were actually Leyland Nationals on railway bogies but all other DMUs are properly designed heavy rail coaches. If they are bone-shakers blame the track not the trains.

You have more modern trains I believe in the West Midlands, David. The local lines (GW) had old rattle cans here. Maybe since lockdown - I haven't been in Paignton since February this year - there is newer stock.

You have more modern trains I believe in the West Midlands, David. The local lines (GW) had old rattle cans here. Maybe since lockdown - I haven't been in Paignton since February this year - there is newer stock.
In North Devon our old uncomfortable two car rattlers are gone, we have 3 car class 158 and 17 trains a day on a weekday.

Bob

Class 116 DMU at Stratford-Upon-Avon.

On midsummers day, 21st June 1986, a pair of Tyseley allocated Class 116 3-car DMU sets, with 53872 leading, are seen at Stratford-Upon-Avon with a late evening service to Birmingham. Within a few years this familiar scene would vanish as Class 150s took over local services in the West Midlands area. In 2011, the 150s are being replaced by new Derby built Class 172 DMUs.

1594820216381.png

Class 116 DMU at Stratford-Upon-Avon.

On midsummers day, 21st June 1986, a pair of Tyseley allocated Class 116 3-car DMU sets, with 53872 leading, are seen at Stratford-Upon-Avon with a late evening service to Birmingham. Within a few years this familiar scene would vanish as Class 150s took over local services in the West Midlands area. In 2011, the 150s are being replaced by new Derby built Class 172 DMUs.

View attachment 146717
i am sad Lloyd i know but l like dmus. ever since i had a go at the controls of one with my brother in law
60 years ago.:grinning:

Great pictures of Moor Street Station! It brings back memories! I used to travel into & out off Moor Street in the 1970's from Acocks Green station most nights of the week for light refreshments in Brum town centre. Journey time 10 minutes & trains were always dead on time. Last train back home was 11.15pm,

DaveH

I wonder Does anyone remember the traverser that was there in the station ???? I wonder how many photos of that exist in someone's collection ??

I wonder Does anyone remember the traverser that was there in the station ???? I wonder how many photos of that exist in someone's collection ??
I do. I frequently walked to Shirley Station to catch a train to Moor Street in the early 1950's. I always bought a single ticket as I usually returned home by bus BCT or Midland Red, depending on how much money I had left as Midland Red were more expensive and as a teenager I din;t mind walking.

Last edited:
I do. I frequently walked to Shirley Station to catch a train to Moor Street in the early 1850's. I always bought a single ticket as I usually returned home by bus BCT or Midland Red, depending on how much money I had left as Midland Red were more expensive and as a teenager I din;t mind walking.
:grinning:

Last edited:
Overview. A transfer table, also known as a traverser, consists of a single length of track that can be moved from side to side, in a direction perpendicular to the track. There are often multiple tracks on one side of the table and a single or multiple track(s) on the other

Back