• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Singer Factory Small Heath

nooneynoo

Brummie babby
There was a UB40 video in the 1980s with the former Singer/Roots/ Chryslers/Talbot/asda factory on the coventry Rd Small Heath been Knocked down in the background. does any body know the name of the song.

nooneynoo said:

There was a UB40 video in the 1980s with the former Singer/Roots/ Chryslers/Talbot/asda factory on the coventry Rd Small Heath been Knocked down in the background. does any body know the name of the song.

was it madam Madusa?​

Having chased a rugby ball all afternoon, watched while two 28 buses raced past the school, stood in the next 28 that had failed to miss the rush then been pushed to the back of the 58 queue by the stampede of Singer workers who claimed to 'have been working hard all day', your picture brings back memories.

I did get some sort of revenge when an afternoon period of chemistry gave me a hydrogen sulphide-soaked blazer and a generous space within the bus within which to stand!

Having chased a rugby ball all afternoon, watched while two 28 buses raced past the school, stood in the next 28 that had failed to miss the rush then been pushed to the back of the 58 queue by the stampede of Singer workers who claimed to 'have been working hard all day', your picture brings back memories.

I did get some sort of revenge when an afternoon period of chemistry gave me a hydrogen sulphide-soaked blazer and a generous space within the bus within which to stand!
In 1976 I worked at C H Browns grocers atHay Mills . My best job ever it was a total local green grocers so busy all week. I used to walk down Hobmoor road to my number 16 home to Whittington oval. So loved them days.​

View attachment 169842singer factory small heath

Hi,

That picture brings back an amusing memory. I was walking past at knocking off time,
and there was a security man at the gate with a watch in his hand and the other hand
raised in the air. The workers were lined up as if on starting blocks, and as he dropped
his hand they all dashed out of the gate at an unbelievable rate.
I never saw anyone run out of a works gate that fast, but perhaps they were hoping to
be able to get on the next bus!

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

That picture brings back an amusing memory. I was walking past at knocking off time,
and there was a security man at the gate with a watch in his hand and the other hand
raised in the air. The workers were lined up as if on starting blocks, and as he dropped
his hand they all dashed out of the gate at an unbelievable rate.
I never saw anyone run out of a works gate that fast, but perhaps they were hoping to
be able to get on the next bus!

Kind regards
Dave
That was a common sight around most of the factories in Birmingham, I was an apprentice electrician in the 70‘s and would work in most of the car factories and at knocking of time you see all the employees as we use to say “under starters orders” the amazing thing was the factory when from a very noisy environment to absolute silence in minutes of knocking off time

When you think of the engineering industry we had in that very small area of Birmingham in the 60’s and early 70’s. Singer / Talbot, Smiths Industries, Carter Refrigeration, Kwikform scaffold, BSA,Webster Horsefall, et al .
The whole area was thriving , sadly a lost era now

Was this 1921 aeriel view of the Armoury Road factory? (Edit, identified as the Singer factory by member mwOnjm. Thanks !)

Screenshot_20240226_184157_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back