• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Seven Stars Inn, Solihull

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
Not strictly Birmingham but I hope someone will be able to help! A contributor on a Facebook forum has queried the origins of the name of Seven Star Road in Solihull. I recollect reading (or maybe dreaming!) that there was once an inn called The Seven Stars (or similar) on Warwick Road around where the turning into Seven Star Road is now. However I can't find it on any of my old maps or locate the relevant article! Any info would be much appreciated.

There's a couple of mention of a Seven Stars Inn, Solihull in 1888. Only location given seems to be on the road from Bham to Leamington.

The road itself does not seem to appear until around 1940.
This is the 1938 survey not published as a map until 1946 (for obvious reasons). It looks as if Seven Star was planned. earlier maps have no indcation of any buildngs that might be an inn.
1651330087106.png

In the 1881 Census, (RG11; Piece: 3067; Folio: 93; Page: 9) there is Herbert M. Jackson (occ: Breeder of Thoroughbreds) and family living at
"London Road (Seven Stars)".

The entries before state Abbey Gardens and Abbey Farm - if that helps.

Edited to add that I think this refers to Coventry rather than Solihull.

On the 1921 there is a family in Solihull whose address appears to be Seven Star Cottages, Warwick Road.

Back