• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

I am starting this photo album to record all historic and current photos of our great City, this is Warwick House, New Street. The buildings housed Marshall & Snelgrove 1900 till today.

I hope this builds the best on-line photo album of our beautifully buildings.
Do you have anything on Constitution Hill around mid 1800s at all?

Stitcher
Hyams were a mens tailoring establishmnet, but the date is a not quite correct. Apart from photography only starting around the mid 1840s, the firm was Samuel Hyam up to some time between 1855 and 1858, when it became Hyam & Co. so it would be after the mid 1850s
The Italian Renaissance style Hyam & Co. store on post No.839 was built in 1859.

Re: City Centre Photo Album

I used to work in Civic Centre in early sixties, which is behind the Hall of Memory. It was a beautiful building. I think it isnt used for Council offices now tho.
My boss from Civic Centre took me to Marshall and Snelgroves for afternoon tea once and it was like another world for me (a 16 year old from Alum Rock)! There were mannequines walking around the restaurant modelling the dresses they sold. such a shame a lovely shop like that had to close.
Wendy
I remember the Marshall & Snelgrove experience a wonderful shop. I also worked in Civic House for 2 years I wonder if we knew each other.

The Civic Centre, now known as Baskerville House, is no longer council property but I know that the Lord Mayor's Parlour is in that building while the Council House is closed.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen them close up, despite often passing them during my lunch break. Love the close-up in post #2032. They’re much bigger than I remember. Viv.

we have a thread for the golden boys

Shortie
Don't know if this larger version helps. corporation st is diagonally going across.On the photo, the road going off to the left is the minories
Mike

map_c_1889_old_square.jpg
Thank you for this map Mike. I worked in the Grand Theatre in 1961, when it was offices. My window looks straight into the Old Square and almost completely opposite the Gaumont. The Grand was demolished in 1963 when it was only 80 years old. What a waste!!!

Back