• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Steam Locos

It is very pleasing to hear the comment about standards of safety, and I shall take comfort from that next time I am sitting in a Mk3 doing 85mph down the WCML behind a type 40!
I note the comments about keeping up with other traffic but it has been shown on many occasions that it is delays in day to day traffic that have held up many a rail tour

I note the comments about keeping up with other traffic but it has been shown on many occasions that it is delays in day to day traffic that have held up many a rail tour
Could it possibly be that the "custodians" of our rail network have slimmed down the network to such an extent that there is no slack (spare capacity/sidings/loops) anywhere to permit dealing with problems. The train in front has broken down and we can't get past! Durrh! I rest my case, because I have been there.

If you want to go on an interesting train journey, go on the Portsmouth to Waverley Edinburgh on a Sunday. I think it stops at every station. The once I had to do it on a work journey a naval officer was travelling to Faslane. Only two of us in the carriage, he said have you done this journey before. I said no, he got out two tumblers from his bag and a litre of Whisky then said join me you will need this.

Hi,

Surely the train in the last photo is actually alongside platform 3.
I can never remember which side of the bridge 1A and 1B and 2A
and 2B were.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi Spargone,

Many thanks for info. I was pretty certain it had to be platform 3 as there was no through line
between platform. 1 and 2.

As the last time I used New St Station was in the early 60s, I remember the WH Smith booth
where you could cross between platforms 1 +2 and 1A +2A. Not that I bought much there, -
just passing it on the way to that nice old Bar.

A great picture of that lovely old loco, I suppose the nearest to it that I saw at that platform
were Midland Compounds!

Kind regards
Dave

I am surprised how indistinct the head lamps are in #489 and #494. My memory of more moden versions was that their bodies were big and white so that they could be easily seen as headcodes in the daytime.

Our ancestors must have either had very good vision or a lot of luck when one considers the poor view from a steam locomotive and then add in the obstructions of steam, smoke and the inevitable grime on windows of loco and signalbox.

My cousin Keith drives the 6024 and they have set up a preservation society it is the King Edward . I am led to believe this is one of the biggest series of engines ever made.
We are very fortunate that there are 3 preserved members of the King class surviving, 6000, 6023 & 6024 out of the original class of 30. I remember seeing them at Snow Hill before they were summarily withdrawn in 1962.

They were certainly the largest 4-6-0 locomotives in this country (at 89 tons+) although there were many larger pacifics which ran on British metals.

Very atmospheric and a happy reminder of spotting at New Street in the 1950s. This is the "Midland side" and was always quieter than the "North Western" side, which always seemed to have something happening.

Walking into old New Street from Stephenson Place past the "Moss Gears" display and onto the footbridge always thrilled me with a sense of anticipation. There always seemed to be something happening, the sound of a steam loco, station announcements, even the little tractors towing a small train of parcels trailers along the platform.

Happy days with a band of spotters at the "fish dock" at the south east end of the station. It was the place where you could see the activity on both sides of the station. It always amused me that everyone referred to locos by their "old" LMS numbers; e.g. 44968 was always "forty nine sixty eight" etc.

Very atmospheric and a happy reminder of spotting at New Street in the 1950s. This is the "Midland side" and was always quieter than the "North Western" side, which always seemed to have something happening.

Walking into old New Street from Stephenson Place past the "Moss Gears" display and onto the footbridge always thrilled me with a sense of anticipation. There always seemed to be something happening, the sound of a steam loco, station announcements, even the little tractors towing a small train of parcels trailers along the platform.

Happy days with a band of spotters at the "fish dock" at the south east end of the station. It was the place where you could see the activity on both sides of the station. It always amused me that everyone referred to locos by their "old" LMS numbers; e.g. 44968 was always "forty nine sixty eight" etc.
Yes you've taken me back as well.......

Back