• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lewis's Department Store

Lewis,s had been in Birmingham since the late 1800,s and it is said that David Lewis the founder of the empire stood on all the street corners until he found the busiest and that ,s wher he built the store.

The roof garden I can remeber going to as a child and I belive it was closed when someone committed suicide.

I also worked at Lewis,s from 1968 to 1976 and staff were allowed onto the roof during break times.

As a child we had our school uniforms bought from Lewis,s and the nnaula trip included a meal in the resturant where we had fish (cod ) and chips and bread and tea. A great treat .

I can remember seeing father Christmas there too as a child and uncle Holly .

When I worked there running the grotto was one of the jobs I had and thee year I was there we had a father Christams who had the same name as me .He was a student at bham uni and kept pet rats.
One of which he brought into work and kept inside his father xmas outfit It pooped out one day and casused a bit of a rukus . so wasnt alowed again.

In the early days of the store the basement was flooded and turned into a miniture venice for a promotion .and during the war it became a temporary hospital.

We had continual bomb scares during the early 1970s .

A friend from school, father died falling down a lift shaft (he was a lift engineer)

We used to have great staff parties One was at the " Locano" opposite where Toys rus is now.
Hello Colin,

I hope I haven't asked you previously but I am trying to find as much information about my Birth Mother who apparen'tly worked at Lewis's in the 60s or 70s in the Women's clothing department. I just wondered if you ever came across her.Her name was Gladys Davis when she got married in 1961 she became Gladys Jenkins.

Best regards,

Barry

Lewis's store

Hi All,
it was great reading about Lewis's department store, I worked there from about 1957 to 1965,Starting on the Luggage department under Mr Smith in "A" block ending up as assistant Manager on the Do It Yourself Dept under Paul Whitfield in "B" block. During my training I worked for Miss Carter on the China Dept, but most of my time was spent on the Gardening Dept which Mr John Smith also managed. I also did some part time lift driving when the gardening dept wasn't busy around christmas time, I had to run the express lift from the 5th floor toy department down to the ground floor to help clear the crowds. I used to put the lights out and fly back up from the ground non stop much to the disgust of people waiting on the other floors when I stopped on the 5th and opened the gates you nearly got killed in the stampede. I stood outside untill the rush died down, then you had to put a few of the people off because they had left no room to operate the car or to shut the gates. You put the handle over and the car dropped like a stone, and as you applied the brake as you passed the first floor everyone went ooohhh, as the hung onto their stomachs, I used to say "Hope you've got strong elastic ladies" and laugh. I remember taking my lift driving test and it was one of the engineers who tested me John I think, some times Mr Stokes the chief engineer used to pass you out and give you your licence which I still have. I was always facinated by the lifts and when I first started I used to get on well with the 2 lady lift drivers on the "A" block side, Mrs Batchelor and Mrs Attenborough, (Batch & Atty) we called them, and they used to let me have a go and I stood behind them and operated the car so that Frank Wilson the supervisor couldn't see me, Albert the staff lift driver was always a bit rude and miserable to most people. Joe the senior driver on the "B" block was a character always laughing and joking. Originally I had the lift driving licence because I had to stop behind at night when I was on the gardening dept and take the plants up to a small roof area (not the main roof) and give them a watering and bring them down in the morning before the store opened. I remember having to take a load of counters up to the 6th floor with the porter before the General Managers inpection ( Mr Mountford I think) and the lift was full of them, as I passed the 5th floor I went to half speed, nothing happened, then shut off nothing happened much, it only slowed slightly, thankfully we were carrying some weight which slowed us down, then crash we hit the roof of the shaft, it was like being on a ship wreck, counters all over the place, the car bounced down to half way between the 5th and 6th floors, so I just touched the handle over and the car drifted to the 6th and we got out and went back down in another car and reported the fault to the engineers. The Assistant General Manager was Mr Andrews, he was a gent and I got on very well with him. Mr Cashin was the basement Floor Manager, he helped me a lot to further my career, Mr Smith Gardening and Luggage Manager, Mr Leamington Paint & Wall, paper, Mr Hogg Turnery, Mr England tools, Mr T*** was the Assistant Manager on the luggage, I didn't get on very well with him, today he would be accused of being a bully. Mr Goldsmith was the Counting house Manager, always looked a bit miserable, Mr Harris personnel Manager, Miss Hill Personnel, Mr Newcombe parcels delivery office, Mr Fields House Superintendant, Miss Carter China, Miss Irving cash office, Was it Mr Proudfoot in charge of the receiving room ? Then you had all the part time firemen who did the portering and supplemented the lift driving staff, Ginger Jones, Scooter Coombs, leading fireman Bill Carrington lived out towards Sutton. I met my wife there, she was a "Mobile" ( had to work wherever there was a shortage of staff) she was only 5ft and 1/2 inch and is, now 4foot 11 plus, and couldn't reach the big brown tills on the gardening dept so I got her a daffodil crate to stand on, and we got told off because someone reported us for having a kiss and canoodle in our lunch break on the roof.Miss ? and Lynne were in staff training. Joe Carney wrote the display tickets out free hand with a paint brush. Stan & Horace were 2 of the comissionaires. Len Ashman operated the paper and cardboard press in the sub basement somewhere by the clocking in clocks. Fred ? was in the part where you had to hand in your parcels and bags etc', The Luggage department stock room was part of the old lampson tube room, and the tubes were just cut off clean to the wall.They were good days I used to go on day release and night school to get my certificates, and then I left and went into a factory for a couple of years to get some money for a deposit on a house and get married. Remember the Tyburn Depot in Eachelhurst Road, Mr Sydney Lemmon on the despatch (Pronounced Le Mon not as the fruit)
and the Furniture Depository in Hockley.
I Must stop there probably finish off in another posting, that is if you are not fed up already
Regards Chris B
Hello Chris,
Do you remember a Gladys Davis or Gladys Jenkins working group in the Women's Clothing Department by any chance.The reason I ask is that I am trying to find out some much as I can about her because she was my real Birth Mom.

Best regards,

Barry

That's good to know - perhaps customers act more consideratly in the nice new branch!
I certainly wasn't blaming staff, I know customers just throw items around in my small local London branch and staff are continuously tidying up.
They have improved security too, so that probably why customers have changed, also a lot more space between rails & shelves.

If you have not already seen them, the aerial images below might interest you.
Lewis's from the east in 1950. Corporation St on the left.
View attachment 129825

Another view which brings back a few memories for me. It was taken in 1951 and shows members of the public on the roof. In the early 1950s we used to go to town on Saturday mornings and most times went on the roof.
View attachment 129826
images source 'britainfromabove'
Very good to see these images of the roof gardens at Lewis's. I had vague memories of being taken there when I was little in the early 50s, but memories are often unreliable.

I don’t think this was ever agreed, well at least I can’t remember Lewis’s ever having a pub. It would have been the only one in England. However in more recent years I think there is now a pub on the premises. Viv.

Attachments

• A749089A-AECC-45B0-849C-90D236539733.jpeg
    A749089A-AECC-45B0-849C-90D236539733.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 15
Shopping in town during the early 1980s, I remember this view of Lewis's as we walked up Bull Street to usually pop in there on the way back to the car park in Snow Hill.
View attachment 162936

This is town as I remember it. Getting off the 14 before the Old Square, walking through the market and down the ramp to High St and beyond. It always seemed busy but it's a bit of a backwater now as town goes.

Don't seem to see as many 80s pictures compared to earlier decades.

I don’t think this was ever agreed, well at least I can’t remember Lewis’s ever having a pub. It would have been the only one in England. However in more recent years I think there is now a pub on the premises. Viv.
The Square Peg, A pub/restaurant along the Corporation Street frontage. Most of the rest of that block now HM Courts Service.

The Square Peg, A pub/restaurant along the Corporation Street frontage. Most of the rest of that block now HM Courts Service.
Yes, you are correct Vivienne14 & David Grain. I lived in Birmingham most of my 67 years, & never saw a pub as part of the Lewis's store until it's closure & now has a pub/restaurant with HM Courts being in one section. I for one would have prefered Lewis's to still be there as it was a brilliant store to enter.

In recent years House of Fraser had a bar on the first floor which I have used a few times. Sandwiches and light meals were available. I think the store is still open from comments on the Rackhams thread but I have not been in for years

Shopping in town during the early 1980s, I remember this view of Lewis's as we walked up Bull Street to usually pop in there on the way back to the car park in Snow Hill.
View attachment 162936
just caught up with this photo...its wonderful..full of hussle and bustle..that same spot now is nothing more than bland..lifeless and has no soul at all and personally i now find most of the city centre depressing so i avoid it

lyn

just caught up with this photo...its wonderful..full of hussle and bustle..that same spot now is nothing more than bland..lifeless and has no soul at all and personally i now find most of the city centre depressing so i avoid it

lyn
I totally agree Lynn. Birmingham is getting depressing, but still love visiting the Bullring ect.

The recollections sent into the Sunday Mercury published on the 23rd and 30th March I thought were interesting, then on closer examination I noticed that one of the letters had been written by my work colleague and mentor within the Display Department at Lewis's Birmingham! Norman H Taylor, Horace to the team in Display was a legend, he worked his whole life in the stores Display Department "man and boy" 'til he retired and moved to Llandudno. He took me under his wing when I started as a junior window dresser, my first job after leaving school, (1973 ish!).
When Horace and Elsie moved to North Wales we kept in touch, Lindsay (my wife) and I visited them on several occasions when ever we visited the area, he still wanted all the Store news and gossip!
Anyway, what a fabulously random piece of luck coming across this cutting, I am made up! Thank you for posting this

fantastic photos col...what a wonderful building newburys was with its at least 3 domes...so sad it was destroyed

i have always maintained that although the written word is great the photograph is greater and has much more pulling power and without them we can only imagine what birmingham once looked like...thanks so much

lyn

Last edited:
Back