• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Victoria Square

Bob, any idea what the vintage of the photo is?
In 1950 When I worked for William Bloye the sculptor, I carved the inscription on the plinth, not sure if it is the same plinth now as then. Bloye also recast the statue of Queen Vic she was missing her spectershe held at one time

A view not often represented of Victoria Square. This is John Bright arriving at the Council House in 1883. There seem to be trees around Christ Church to the left. A cluster of signatories paying homage in front of the Town Hall while policemen are holding back the enthusiastic crowd on the opposite side of the road. Viv.

9E9AAED1-FE5A-4974-A33A-DCF24CD21DD6.jpeg

Last edited:
I think it could be, but on looking more closely on the scene in the distance on the opposite side of the road, I wonder whether the "trees" are the artist's attempt to represent lots of people , as this is similar there and definitely serves that purpose there

Back