• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Warwick Road

I vaguely thought I recognised it. Did you realise that photo is on earlier in the thread?
Yes that's where got it from, but I don't think the location was discussed. I think you are absolutely correct with
your location, but I still think it is hard to visualise the top left of the photo (#87) is looking across the Acocks Green island.
Attached photo taken in 1970, must have been taken from roughly the same position.

acocks green island 1970.PNG

Last edited:
I thought that it was decided that the view in #87 looking in the direction of Olten, with Station Road on the left just past the lamp post. The photograph would have been taken in the position of #94 but looking 180 degrees the opposite way
Dave

I thought that it was decided that the view in #87 looking in the direction of Olten, with Station Road on the left just past the lamp post. The photograph would have been taken in the position of #94 but looking 180 degrees the opposite way
Dave
I am pretty sure that #87 is looking in the opposite direction to Olton.
This is the view towards Olton taken in 1930's.
Note Picture Playhouse on left which was on the corner of Station Road (Payne's in a later life)

Picture Playhouse 1934.JPG

Reading the list of shops downwards goes from the centre of the green towards Olton. The cinema is on the corner of Station Road.

Hi Theresa, I went to Sunday school in the hall at the back.
I did too. Also went to Discoverers meetings with Miss Goodall and Miss Stanley. The hall at the back of St Bedes was also used for jumble sales, Whist Drives, Social Evenings too. We also had an Anniversary celebration every year in the chapel.

I did too. Also went to Discoverers meetings with Miss Goodall and Miss Stanley. The hall at the back of St Bedes was also used for jumble sales, Whist Drives, Social Evenings too. We also had an Anniversary celebration every year in the chapel.
Ah, Miss Goodhall, I remembered Miss Agnes Stanley and the Rev Griffiths plus Mr Knight the post master (lay preacher) plus the occasional visit of Rev Jackson of St Johns in Sparkbrook, under which St Bedes was covered. My time was 1950's, I used to ring the bell each Sunday and for a while was in the choir. Does anyone remember the form of heating in the church, a coke boiler which emitted heat and coke fumes through a vent in the floor. I was also involved in the youth club, run by a chap called Marcus (last name forgotten) in the late 50s, met in hall at the rear. Happy days.

A charming scene of Warwick Road at Acocks Green. Expect the boy to the right is taking in all the details of the parked car. They might even be crossing the road to take a closer look.

Viv.394D1AC7-180D-4683-BD1A-0D9E76AF0E5C.jpeg

1953 view of Warwick Road, the bank on the corner is no longer a bank.Today it looks like a well maintained building (#1101 Warwick Road). Viv.

40DDE83B-5483-4152-ABE9-CBD6B2B89FEC.jpeg42C607D0-4F3B-475A-87ED-041C1DAF4C68.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like it Pete. So good to see these old buildings with their exteriors restored to their former glory. Often they look better than on old photos after years of pollution has made them dirty and grey. Viv.

An earlier view of the same spot. It shows how the bank was a dominant building at this part of Warwick Road. Viv.

2CDB7AA2-F394-4DB6-B412-5A6E484EC727.jpeg

1953 view of Warwick Road, the bank on the corner is no longer a bank.Today it looks like a well maintained building (#1101 Warwick Road). Viv.

View attachment 174503View attachment 174502
Thanks for posting that 1953 picture Viv! Fascinating to see Lloyds Bank on the left hand side of the road along with the now demolished shops. I remember the Post Office further back from this view but no memory of the rest. Not surprising really as I was only about 1 year old at this time. Although we were 'ordered' to spend every Sunday at my Grandmothers, in Acocks Green, to ensure that we had at least one descent meal a week.
Dave

Last edited:
Difficult one Jim, I tried to place it on Streetview but no joy. Hopefully someone will recognise something to give us clues. Viv.

Difficult one Jim, I tried to place it on Streetview but no joy. Hopefully someone will recognise something to give us clues. Viv.
Acocks Green changed so much in 1930's. Downhill is always towards the village, looks too wide for the road to Tyseley, so that leaves the road to Olton, but doesn't look right.

Ah, Miss Goodhall, I remembered Miss Agnes Stanley and the Rev Griffiths plus Mr Knight the post master (lay preacher) plus the occasional visit of Rev Jackson of St Johns in Sparkbrook, under which St Bedes was covered. My time was 1950's, I used to ring the bell each Sunday and for a while was in the choir. Does anyone remember the form of heating in the church, a coke boiler which emitted heat and coke fumes through a vent in the floor. I was also involved in the youth club, run by a chap called Marcus (last name forgotten) in the late 50s, met in hall at the rear. Happy days.
Just found this photo of a group church outing. I am sure you will recognise some of the people.

Attachments

• IMG_0480.jpeg
    IMG_0480.jpeg
    955.6 KB · Views: 29
Just found this photo of a group church outing. I am sure you will recognise some of the people.
Thanks for posting the photo. I remember all the names you have mentioned, unfortunately I don’t recognise anyone in the photos though.

Have you seen the photo I have posted of a St Bede’s Sunday school trip?

Back