• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birchfield rd shops Perry Barr

If you have a search on the Birmingham Libraries website, there are dozens of photos of the Perry Barr / Birchfield Road area, taken before, during and after the construction of the underpass and flyover.
I have stitched together a few of them dating from 1959 to make 2 panoramas of the Birchfield Road shops before demolition - the first is northbound before Aston Lane / Wellington Road junction:-
View attachment 165171

The second is after the junction - the original Perry Barr railway station and site of (what is now) One Stop shopping centre is on the right:-
View attachment 165172
Mark, super work with the stitching! I used to work for Bakers, butchers there & Soho rd. delivering and cutting meat for display after school for about 4 years.

1963 phone book
1650376163019.png

There are also entries for A H Field (furnished flats) and Auctioneers, valuers and estate agents but difficut to say if they are the same people.

Last edited:
Probably a good chance Janice. I vaguely remember a Field being a politician too, but again not sure if it’s the same family. Viv.

I remember a wool shop round the corner from Franchise street where Mom and Nan used to buy wool to make us all cardigans and jumpers.

This 1959 photo shows the premises to the left of those in post #64. Still standing near the junction with Willmore Road. Remember when oranges were always Jaffa’s and bananas Fyffes? Viv.C33B07D4-32D9-44A5-929A-D4E433639EF7.jpeg6523EFC2-A28D-4DB4-B8D2-1F991AC2B789.jpeg

This 1959 photo shows the premises to the left of those in post #64. Still standing near the junction with Willmore Road. Remember when oranges were always Jaffa’s and bananas Fyffes? Viv.View attachment 169822View attachment 169823
Goodness, the later picture looks like a combat zone. I remember WTBakers butchers just down to th3 right. Every night we cleaned and polished the windows and scrubbed the inside!

And a parade of shops in 1957, still there today. Viv.

View attachment 171510
Are these between the Broadway and
And a parade of shops in 1957, still there today. Viv.

View attachment 171510
Wasn't there an electrical appliance shop at the far end of this row, on the corner with the Broadway? Also, a decorating/wallpaper shop near by - "Rippolins" - and the building to the left of the bank was at one time the gas showroom?

Are these between the Broadway and

Wasn't there an electrical appliance shop at the far end of this row, on the corner with the Broadway? Also, a decorating/wallpaper shop near by - "Rippolins" - and the building to the left of the bank was at one time the gas showroom?
I remember Rippolins, not that I ever went in there but the name always stood out to me.

Back