• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rackhams Store

I don't live in Brum now but I believe Rackhams (House of Fraser) has now closed.
Nope, it’s still open! They’ve even replaced some branding on the inside back to Rackhams!

Even the lower ground, and 7th floor have removed-opened so there’s now 7 floors open out of 8. LG is bikes and 7th is Clearance and Winter Wonderland.

Nope, it’s still open! They’ve even replaced some branding on the inside back to Rackhams!

Even the lower ground, and 7th floor have removed-opened so there’s now 7 floors open out of 8. LG is bikes and 7th is Clearance and Winter Wonderland.
Thanks - that's interesting to know!

It may still be open Cameron, but it's nothing like the Rackhams that we once knew (below). Since Mike Ashley took over "House of Fraser" the store has become a pile it high, retail outlet (it seems mostly for handbags) The quality named counters on the ground floor and above (such as Chanel & MAC ), have mostly long gone (leaving just Clinique & Dior according to my wife), like the fabulous, albeit pricey lower ground floor food hall, the uniformed doormen, lift attendants and Father Christmas on the top floor. What was once Birmingham's Harrods is now sadly more like a JJB Sports outlet.

1640875996274.png 1640876071423.png 1640876195144.png

It may still be open Cameron, but it's nothing like the Rackhams that we once knew (below). Since Mike Ashley took over "House of Fraser" the store has become a pile it high, retail outlet (it seems mostly for handbags) The quality named counters on the ground floor and above (such as Chanel & MAC ), have mostly long gone (leaving just Clinique & Dior according to my wife), like the fabulous, albeit pricey lower ground floor food hall, the uniformed doormen, lift attendants and Father Christmas on the top floor. What was once Birmingham's Harrods is now sadly more like a JJB Sports outlet.

View attachment 165465 View attachment 165466 View attachment 165467
I was just sharing with the previous poster, who was wrong, that the store is open. I was just giving factual information as to how many floors are open. You have given your opinion as to how it compares to Rackhams, and that’s fine.

I am too young to remember Rackhams, but from the stories I’ve heard, and the photos I would certainly agree it’s a shadow of its former self.

Thanks for providing the information that you have done Cameron. It is a lot different now than it once was and that opinion is all that I was adding to the facts that you have so kindly provided concerning the number of floors that are currently open and what is being sold on the lower ground & 7th floors now.

I suppose everything has to change and I expect Rackham's is catering to the younger generation now. They seem to have the 'disposable income' don't they?

Always hated the ground floor the stink used to make me feel sick, still can not stop sneezing when i am close to people with to much perfume on.

Another interesting point that I don’t think has been mentioned, Legal and General (owners of the building) have put the Rackhams site up for sale.

I remember the cheese counter, well you do don’t you, just follow the aroma! But we always went to Lewis’s for our specialty cheeses.

Viv

559AC9EB-FADD-489A-A05C-8B7542A08A00.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• CDB19471-C3AF-4749-AD31-A7BAF3638822.jpeg
    CDB19471-C3AF-4749-AD31-A7BAF3638822.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 5
I worked in Birmingham in the 1980s and loved browsing round Rackhams in my lunch hour; trying to dodge the ladies on the cosmetics counters who had a tendency to squirt you with perfume as you walked past! I well remember the food hall on the lower ground floor - we always used to go there for cream cakes if it was someone's birthday.

It has been suggested, rather informally, that Mike Ashley has purchased the Rackhams Building (Freehold) back from Legal and General.

House of Fraser originally sold the building in the 1980s to British Land.

Can anyone confirm ?

It has been suggested, rather informally, that Mike Ashley has purchased the Rackhams Building (Freehold) back from Legal and General.

House of Fraser originally sold the building in the 1980s to British Land.

Can anyone confirm ?
i cant see anything online but it would not surprise me as it would be just a drop in a large ocean for mr ashley

lyn

I would think it would be necessary if he wanted to "develop" the site . There might be restrictions on the lease .

It is unlikely to be positive news, if Mike Ashley is involved, in my opinion. I'm afraid shopping at Rackhams in Birmingham and House of Fraser in Sutton, isn't near the experience that it once was, since he got his hands on these stores.

Back