• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

348 Stratford Road 1974, a mixed variety of shops from Newsagent behind the bus shelter, to the restaurant, bay windows on first floor and attic windows , interesting brickwork on the right. Golden Virginia sign on the newsagent and a rack of the latest newspapers .

View attachment 168429
My guide was the doorway just behind the shelter on the right.

Attachments

• 348 Stratford Rd -2021.JPG
    348 Stratford Rd -2021.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 18
My how styles and taste changes, at the risk of offending someone did we really have units like that in our homes?. Old style telephone number and rolls of carpet stacked outside. knitwear cash and carry which is wholesale only, next an empty shop and the old red and white roadwork barriers. Rear end of a Ford Cortina and sash windows at first floor level.

View attachment 168430
Nightingale Knitwear is now Oasis Supermarket. Plus and old phone number.

Attachments

• 350 Soho Road - Hands. - 2021.JPG
    350 Soho Road - Hands. - 2021.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 350 Soho Road - Hands. -phone.JPG
    350 Soho Road - Hands. -phone.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 14
Last one for tonight, Enoch's Exchange and Mart 809-811 Washwood Heath Road, they dont make them like this any more !! Shop sign looks a bit big for the frontage and seems to have poles holding it up. Trailer on its side and a sideboard on the right , can only make out a guitar through the windows though, oh and a Cortina on the left(?)

View attachment 168431
As has already been posted only one is a shop now. Post #2756

Attachments

• 809-811 Washwood Heath Road-2020.JPG
    809-811 Washwood Heath Road-2020.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 14
Two for the price of one next - 312 Tile Cross Road in 1969, quite a variety of items outside this shop, telephone box, postbox and stamp machine, and over to the right are wire milk crates and Midland counties Ice-cream bin and up the corner some weighing scales. Interesting shop fronts too, a door to a hairdressers with barbers pole, a window of fashion clothing backed by tin foil? and the Supermarket / newsagent come post office. On the left the nose of an old van

View attachment 168427
Look at the little girl, on the first floor. Perhaps watching the cameraman. Could be the daughter of the Hairdresser. Sue

This the start of the shops above New Street station, but this slide is more about what is and isn't there. No ramp but a large fascade of old buildings, the office block on the corner is just been built, go top right and there are no flats or buildings, and move across the top edge the vista is much changed to that of today, coming down a fraction and there is a hole next to the Albany Hotel, and from that gap moving right there is another lack of buildings, regeneration of the city centre is just underway

Test463 1.jpg

This is the city centre end of Broad street and while recognizable there are some buildings missing. Surprising number of car parks including the sloping car park at the back of Baskerville House, the great black wall of the Copthorne Hotel and the other building has yet to block the view. Some industrial buildings back of the Theatre and a garage seems to be on the site of the Hyatt hotel. from this view it also makes you thing who thought it was a good idea to build that big white link from the library to the old buildings at the back.

Test465 1.jpg

Next up we have a church all on its own in a wide expanse of waste land, I am sure someone will know the location, there is a street sign but i cannot make it out. On the road to the left are a couple of nice old cars. In front of the church is an old road sign with a red triangle on top, and the buildings on the right look interesting.

Test242 1.jpg

Yes, it does at first glance look like Holy Trinity, but Holy Trinity doesn't have the small, castellated building on the left. Also, the road layout is all wrong

yes indeed mort its st georges church newtown...mom and dad married there in 1950 and my brother was christened there...the building you see to the right of the church is the original st georges school showing the gt russell st entrance...the st running across is unett st and its gt hampton row where the trees are on the left of the photo..churchyard with headstones still in the churchyard along with the tomb of thomas rickman who designed the church.. i believe the church was sadly demolished in 1960...there is also a ww1 memorial in the churchyard showing the names of men of st georges who lost their lives

lyn

Last edited:
Good afternoon seems I have been neglecting you of late, I found a few more pictures, street views, a number of pictures around NewHall Mill, Photos from Four Oaks Estate, and 4 from Walmley so have been scanning those in . Also on of those tins in the back of the cupboard at your parents full of old picture fortunatly mom had written who they all are ( don't worry shes still around) and the negative to the pictures I had spent ages scanning !! Dont you love them !!
I have decided to work through the slides and shops starting at No 1 or A I seems to have got lost thinking thats nice etc so as well as a sweep there may be the occasional duplicate - apologies.

Test164 1.jpg

First up is the demoltition of the old library I posted a few images from the interior but not sure if I posted this image .
As with all slides I dont have a date but the hstorians will fill you in. The council house clock and the nacked top of the post office tower are in the background. Love the arched ironwork and plasterwork too

So this is the Post office corner , Victoria Square Post office and to the right Is that the sorting office? Old buss stop in the foreground , busses used to go in front of the council house then round into New Street ( I know you know its for the kids!!)
The demonstrations is presumably about testing and not forgetting Hiroshima , Queen Victoria looking worse for wear

Test173 1.jpg

Next as a summer scene by The Kennedy Memorial, a very fine image and all the more as it is made as a mosaic. Looks quite pleasant doesn't look like its in the middle of a traffic island. Sorry about the quality of the image as you are aware this is a scan provided to me I have some originals to scan and it looks like they have been handled by everyone!
Varied selection of buildings in the background but always had a soft spot for the red brick triange shaped building with the tower on the top

Test174 1.jpg

This is the junction of Suffolk Street, Smallbrook Ringway, fountain now replaced by Mr Yips pagoda, this is ( Hebe) water goddess, ( Thanks for the correction Tinpot - see post 2783 below) , a look down the left side of the road sees a few building have not been built yet, and I imagine the view in the distance is quite different today.

Test181 1.jpg

Last edited:
Classic view of the Bull Ring Market, with the time honored background of the Co op and Times furniture adverts, on the right you can just make out Nelson and the roundabout, the row of shops on the balcony and the stalls all spread out below. A winter shot so no leaves on the trees and everyone in their big coats clutching their shopping bags.

Test183 1.jpg

Well dependent on where you lived this is a view many would not have seen, living in the north I used to get of the 90/91 in Snow Hill and only later, when on a walk through the indoor market went through the doors marked Bus station and came across this exhaust filled space , it seemed not many people and rather down at heel. Long gone and this style of busses too. A corporation rear access bus on the right and not much else.

Test186 1.jpg

This is the junction of Suffolk Street, Smallbrook Ringway, fountain now replaced by Mr Yips pagoda, this is ( Isis) water goddess, I believe, a look down the left side of the road sees a few building have not been built yet, and I imagine the view in the distance is quite different today.

View attachment 168961
I’ve read the statue is Hebe and she now lies somewhere in Corporation Street?

So a few shops now ,312 Tile Cross Road, 1969, seem to recall the location but not the lorry in front, fine selection of street furniture, Barbers pole , cigarette machines, post box, telephone box and a stamp machine. A fine selection of pushchairs in front of the Post Office. Bedford Lorry on the road and a few adverts for the hairdressers around the building

312 Tile Cross Road -69.jpg

Next up 390 Coventry Road in 1968, and there is a television rental shop, can you imagine paying to hire a large black and white TV with a suspect image and only three channels, they are advertising the Olympics and colour tvs too. Next door is Marley with lino and carpets and Sketchleys dry cleaners - are they still going?

390 Coventry Road - 68.jpg

Well dependent on where you lived this is a view many would not have seen, living in the north I used to get of the 90/91 in Snow Hill and only later, when on a walk through the indoor market went through the doors marked Bus station and came across this exhaust filled space , it seemed not many people and rather down at heel. Long gone and this style of busses too. A corporation rear access bus on the right and not much else.

View attachment 168963
My regular bus home involved using this fume filled space, if the weather was at all reasonable I would walk round to Horsefair, near Hebe, where the air appeared less polluted and there was a chippy, Skipper's ? Sadly I understand that the guy who controlled the bus station died of lung cancer perhaps related to the buses standing, idling belching out diesel fumes.

So a few shops now ,312 Tile Cross Road, 1969, seem to recall the location but not the lorry in front, fine selection of street furniture, Barbers pole , cigarette machines, post box, telephone box and a stamp machine. A fine selection of pushchairs in front of the Post Office. Bedford Lorry on the road and a few adverts for the hairdressers around the building

View attachment 168964
Was this just along from the White Hart?

Next up 390 Coventry Road in 1968, and there is a television rental shop, can you imagine paying to hire a large black and white TV with a suspect image and only three channels, they are advertising the Olympics and colour tvs too. Next door is Marley with lino and carpets and Sketchleys dry cleaners - are they still going?

View attachment 168965
Is that the ghost of Marley I see?

395 Soho Road from 1975, first a property dark blue painted bus shelter, none of these plastic ones, Bingo hall off to the right , and a fine brick built gable and wall Five Oaks has a couple of window styles upstairs one sash and a little bay, love the little arched window frames. Clean and tidy pavement too.

395 Soho Road - 75.jpg

This view is 580 Coventry Road in 1981, Park View school of dance advert in the C & G window upstairs, an advert for Old Holborn on the end wall on the left and a lovely Cast iron street sign. A drapers on the left - do they have those any more , and on the right judging by the blinds down the boxes and the van its a green grocers. In the Middle Cheltenham and Gloucester Building society , not a full office but a desk in the estate agents I believe.

580 Coventry Road -81.jpg

Back