• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newhall Street unique house of Dr Melson

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
A house once stood at the junction of Newhall and Lionel Streets built with unusually large bricks, Pity it’s no longer there as it was a rare example of bricks tax evasion. Viv.

15315F52-B2DB-4CDB-8E5B-635571B64C2D.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

Viv, I was wondering if your unique house is on this photo? The caption gives it as 'Dental Hospital 1890 on the corner of Newhall Street'.

I thought the dental hospital started life somewhere around The Priory and was opened in the 1850's.

I always thought that this photo showed Newhall Street / Lionel Street and that the building on the corner with the steps was a maternity hospital. However, in the back of my mind I also remember a Baptist Chapel in the same location. Not sure which is right. The Baptist Chapel belonged to the Particular Baptists.

You can see the spire of St Paul's behind the house but I'm not sure what the 'television aerial' on top of the building could be.

Any ideas please?scan0004.jpg

The dental hospital was on the corner of Gt Charles St. Dr Melson was in no 68 on the corner of Lionel St. This became no 98 between the 1879 and 1880 Kellys. The position is shown in red on the c1889 map. The Baptist church was on the opposite corner

map c1889 showing98 Newhall ST,, earlier was no 68.jpg

You can see the spire of St Paul's behind the house but I'm not sure what the 'television aerial' on top of the building could be.

Any ideas please?

A close up shows numerous cable going in different directions, either they are to hold the thing up or I wonder if it's the early days of telephonesroof.jpg

Last edited:
Back