• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hairdressing & barbering

Dave,

I hate having my hair cut, but the guy that cut my hair in Elounda for many years could do the whole job from start to finish in 3 minutes flat without trying to engage me in conversation! Being deaf and having to take hearing aids out and then having the hairdresser try to engage you in conversation seemed to me to be the height of stupidity. But the Elounda guy and I would chat away quite happily if he wasn't doing my hair.

Maurice :cool:

In the early 60’s there were quite a lot of men’s hairdresser shops, all of them working full time. My local was Lanes on the corner of Turfpits Land and Perry Common Road, opposite the Golden Cross. These shops would do clipper style cuts all day long and the occasional shave. Lanes had three fulltime hairdressers whereas a young boy, whatever the style of haircut I asked for, I always ended up with a short back and sides.

The barber would spray it with water and Btylcreem and squeeze a little quiff on the firing. The hairs down the back of your neck would irritate you for the rest of the day. With the popularity of the Beatles, I popped in one days and asked for a Beatles cut. I ended up with short back and sides. I am sure my mate’s mom sent him back one day for not cutting it shout enough, so can understand why the barber would scalp you.

As the fashion for long hair grew, the barbers’ shops declined. Lanes Barbers took up permeant residence at Highcroft Hall Hospital cutting patents hair. The shops that survived were the once who adopted to the longer hairstyles, a good one was Brian’s on Stockland Green, he had a place above the ladies shop on Slade Road and then subsequently move to a shop on Marsh Lane opposite the Plaza.

Today, I go to the Turkish Barber in Moseley and have the full works. Head, beard and eyebrows followed by a hot towel wet shave. It quite a teat.
When I was a kid I always had my hair cut at Lanes in Turfpits Lane.
Short back & side & it cost 2/6d if I remember.
I remember before it was Lanes Barbers it was a Fish & Chip shop & when we were kids Dad used to buy scallops for us & we'd go into the grounds of the Golden Cross to eat them.........be about late 50's I guess.

The grounds of the Golden Cross were quite spectacular. Bowling green, pavilion, greenhouses we loved going in there as kids.

My other half used to have one of those plastic bag things with a flexible pipe to a shoulder hung dryer unit. Allowed her to walk about and do other things. (Within the mains lead length of course :oops:).

Whenever one of those 60's pop programmes come on, she loves the long hair styles that the boys used to have. Oh dear, I will have to look round the charity shops for a wig :(.

I remember the first time Dad took me to the barbers, I screamed the place down so much that the attempt was abandoned, I think it was the noise of the electric clippers.

Andrew.

My Mother used to go to the hairdressing school that was situated on the first floor of a building on Corporation Street. Close to Yate’s Wine Lodge. About 1960. It had low prices because they were trainee stylists. She also went to the Salon in Lewis’s store. The first hair product I remember was Amami which was used to set waves.

Last edited:
Ah, the basin cut, a classic hairstyle. I asked my grandad to do me a Beatlets cut once and ended up with a basin cut. I looked like Friar Tuck. I had to go to Lanes Barbers who scalped me the classic short back and sides.

the basin cut, i looked like one of the 3 stoogies. since the lockdown in 2020 i have shaved my head, have saved a few quid not going to the barbers:grinning:

Last edited:
Ah, the basin cut, a classic hairstyle. I asked my grandad to do me a Beatlets cut once and ended up with a basin cut. I looked like Friar Tuck. I had to go to Lanes Barbers who scalped me the classic short back and sides.
My first on my own haircut at 12 was at Burmac near Bainses on Lozzells Rd. My father used to take me. Every time I went there I got short back and sides no matter what I asked for. I think my dad put the word in. Finally I went somewhere else!

How much is a haircut these days? (Mens) I always cut my own so would be interesting to know how much i`m saving.
In all fairness it depends on who you go to and what you have done. Some of the Turkish barbers do the full works, fit for a sultan as they say. Haircut, beard trim, nose wax, hot towel shave including all the lotions, potions, and aftershaves. Set fire to your ear hair too. All in for £22.

How much is a haircut these days? (Mens) I always cut my own so would be interesting to know how much i`m saving.
On Wednesday I went to the local barbers and asked for a "No 2" all over. Hair cut, eyebrows trimmed, ears tidied up £3.50.

Back