• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vintage clothing and other items you still own

Brummie a long time ago

master brummie
No, not things that were worn in old paintings, but things from your own history. I am sat here doing my winter task of digitising old photo albums, and I find a photo where I am wearing the same pullover I am wearing now. That makes it 30 plus years in active use. Wondering what else I have in ‘historical’ wear. The fluorescent tie I wore playing in a band dates from end of school, so over 50 years, and still serviceable, (and eye watering). My wedding tie, tied by my best man with a Windsor knot, and still knotted ready to slip over my head at 50 years old. My Saltley blazer badge, could be stitched onto something, and is still full colour, that is at least 60 years old. My cubs leather ‘woggle ’, that will be 65 years old, and still perfectly useable to close a neckscarf. That’s about as far back as I can go with things that are still wearable. All of these items of course are not size related, keeping my romper suit would not have been useful.
Andrew.

I have some ties which must be about 60 years old. I've only worn a tie twice in the last 19 years and not one of those. Really ought to have a clearout. About 6 years ago I did give Oxfam a rather delicious multicoloured mohair sweater which I probably would not have been able getb into for many years before. The other day I was told it would be luxury fashion item today. I hope the buyer appreciated it
PS. Just corrected my original typing which said it must be 60m years old !!!

Anyone still have any of their vintage clothes from the 1960s/70s from Bus Stop (New Street) or Crowthers (Corporation Street). Would love to see photos if so. Viv.

Anyone still have any of their vintage clothes from the 1960s/70s from Bus Stop (New Street) or Crowthers (Corporation Street). Would love to see photos if so. Viv.
Sadly not - I did have some clothes from Bus Stop once.

What I do still have is my Brownie Uniform!

When I was skating at Silver Blades, I wore a very thick pair of white socks, turned over the top back over the boot. Long gone, but my lovely wife, appreciating the 'historical significance' to me, even though this was pre girlfriend and she never saw these, bought me an almost identical pair recently, to fill the hole in my memory. :heart:
you can see what our dad meant about my skating skirt lol
When she was a girlfriend (before wife status), she had a skirt that her Mum called a belt. But her Mum let her wear it when she was out with me. I wish she still had that too. (That was about the time that I came across the expression 'gownless evening strap').
Andrew.

A jacket bought from Lewis's in the 1970s and it was previously on the BHF in 2011. It is still hanging on a nail in my garage ... :rolleyes:
Hello Frank,
It's so nice to read such detailed 'inside' information about the store which I visited from childhood until it closed. It now seems like a 'golden age' of shopping and I suppose we will not see anything like it again.

Have I still got anything I bought from there ? Yes I have....a colourful jacket I bought in the early 70's, still used when I clean the car and DIY on cold days. I'm now amazed to think I actually wore it to go shopping in the 70's, but it probably looked ok with my flared trousers. The tenon saw made from Sheffield steel is still usable although it has been sharpened a few times.
Happy Memories
index.php

oldmohawk...:)

Back