• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Restaurants In Birmingham 1960s

The Light of Asia was above the chemist store.
This was recently ‘The Boston Tea Party‘ restaurant, it may still be. Looking at the Light Of Asia Picture, the wooden cover over the door and windows has been removed to reveal ‘Court Restaurant’.
anyone know about the Court Restaurant ?

Attachments

• 65B7D248-94D9-413B-942A-EF1DBFA92F46.jpeg
    65B7D248-94D9-413B-942A-EF1DBFA92F46.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 25
Does anyone remember the Cherry Blossom Chinese restaurant in Acocks Green back in the 1960s? It was quite a small affair above a shop in Westley Road roughly opposite what was then known as the Warwick Cinema and Bowl. Can't seem to find any reference to it although I went there on a number of occasions and it wasn't bad.

Does anyone remember the Cherry Blossom Chinese restaurant in Acocks Green back in the 1960s? It was quite a small affair above a shop in Westley Road roughly opposite what was then known as the Warwick Cinema and Bowl. Can't seem to find any reference to it although I went there on a number of occasions and it wasn't bad.
Before we were married my then fiancee, now my wife, and I used to go there regularly for lunch. They used to do a "Businessman's Lunch" , a three course meal for, I think, 3/9d. Not big portions but certainly value for money and good food.

Last edited:
Just reading through these memories with interest. Slow Boat in Digbeth opposite St.Martin's , together with Heaven's Bridge both Chinese restaurants were owned by my best friend's Dad. Dr. S.S. Chang. He and his wife had fled China at the time of cultural change, & come over to UK in the 1950's by freight boat ( banana boat I think I was told. They arrived in Scotland, but soon moved down to England).
Dr.Chang's main job was working for Lucas in his professional capacity as a doctor of engineering. He was very much an entrepreneur, inventor and had an interest in all sorts of businesses. I remember he was once on ATV today launching an invention of his - my friend was embarrassed at his being on TV,I don't remember what that was now.
As well as the two restaurants, he had a Chinese take away called the Happy Gathering, and then wing yip supermarket, which I think was not far to the rear of the Slow Boat.
Old man Chang ( as my Dad used to call him) with his wife and family used to treat us to occasional meals with our family there. I remember my Dad being offered the head of the large cooked fish as a delicacy, at the start of our meal. My Dad was well travelled with work, he had worked with Chinese people abroad and knew it was a great courtesy to be offered it. He accepted and enjoyed it, which delighted old man Chang.My Dad was always happy to try street food wherever he went and lived the chance to soak in the local culture eg. In 1960's Persia- not something my Mum would have begun to try!
My friend and I used to go to help to cash up at the end of the evening, at Slowboat,we were both still at Grammar school so we enjoyed that. Bit like playing at shops. I remember it seemed very grand inside either with very wide steps up to the first floor or possibly even an escalator.
It seems a lifetime ago now. Dr Chang's wife died in the late 1970's and his children were all university age, so he sold up and went to be head of department at Hong Kong polytechnic. He met a new lady out there, who became his wife. They eventually settled in the USA. He died a couple of few years ago in his 90's.
Happy days. I think they set up the restaurants and take aways / supermarket to fill a void in the market being Chinese themselves. They didn't ever work in the kitchens just ran the businesses from a distance.

I also remember Mum used to take my sister and I to the Ceylon Tea house after a long day shopping in town ( Birmingham). I remember being transfixed by the wonderful enlarged black and white photos of tea being picked. It gave me a lifelong desire to visit these areas, which I eventually did about 50 years later. The tea was so refreshing, we were probably desperately thirsty after a whole day around town. Our feet were always sore too from all the walking, which seemed endless. It would be the last thing we did before catching the bus back home.
I remember Mum would sometimes say could we just pop into Days to have a look at shoes on the way to the bus( probably the first thing for her rather than things for the house or us) and my sister and I would grumble that we were too tired. We were young, and I hope not spoilt, but wish now I could turn back the clock and go in there with her. Mum was a wonderful Mum.
Occasionally we would go into the Kardomah tea rooms instead ( or was it called coffee shop). I know Mum used to go in there for her lunch during the war years sometimes. She worked as an auditor for J.W. Hinks and Co. Accountants , Waterloo Street, Birmingham.

I remember the Ceylon Tea house had clear glass cups, saucers and teapots, ( pyrex I suppose now , but seemed very grand at the time- wonderful to see the golden brown colour of the tea). The whole café was very modern, pine and open plan inside, on more than one level just slightly, I suppose a raised area, and big full length glass windows, unusual for the 1960's. I don't think it was far from the wonderful Gaumont cinema. Where we saw the Sound of Music and all the other greats of the 1960's. Usually went for a cup of tea afterwards before the bus home, we were really lucky.

Great photo Pauline. I lived not too far away from James Watt Street and did visit this restaurant with my now husband in the sixties. I often used this chemist too, when I was running errands for my parents or rellies. Although we did have a chemist nearer in Coleshill Street, (Lathbury's) the Associated Chemist was always open when you needed them. What is more poignant for me though is the entrance door to my Sunday School classes I attended in my earlier years. The old milk float is parked outside. If you look closely It says THE SALVATION ARMY on the top of the building. Thank you for the memories Pauline, one of many. I am so grateful when I see these old photos, I havent any of my own. Kind regards, Sue

Last edited:
I remember the Happy Gathering as being a restaurant. That would have been around 1970. Would that have been a different one to the one you remember
Yes, that would be the same one. It was 1969 -1976 that I was mostly involved with the family. I don't think I ate at any other than the Slowboat, they definitely regarded that as the biggest one. I seem to remember that one of the other two was in the elevated shopping area that crossed smallbrook Queensway (the main ring road) the elevated bit that joined New st station and main corporation st shopping area to St.Martin's and Rotunda/ Bullring. I remember if Dad was dropping us off by New Street station, my friend would point up at it. Could either have been Heaven's bridge or Happy Gathering that was up there.
I remember the Happy Gathering as being a restaurant. That would have been around 1970. Would that have been a different one to the one you remember

This was recently ‘The Boston Tea Party‘ restaurant, it may still be. Looking at the Light Of Asia Picture, the wooden cover over the door and windows has been removed to reveal ‘Court Restaurant’.
anyone know about the Court Restaurant ?
This photo doesn't have have the same tug of the heartstrings as #398 but thank you. Sue

Just reading through these memories with interest. Slow Boat in Digbeth opposite St.Martin's , together with Heaven's Bridge both Chinese restaurants were owned by my best friend's Dad. Dr. S.S. Chang. He and his wife had fled China at the time of cultural change, & come over to UK in the 1950's by freight boat ( banana boat I think I was told. They arrived in Scotland, but soon moved down to England).
Dr.Chang's main job was working for Lucas in his professional capacity as a doctor of engineering. He was very much an entrepreneur, inventor and had an interest in all sorts of businesses. I remember he was once on ATV today launching an invention of his - my friend was embarrassed at his being on TV,I don't remember what that was now.
As well as the two restaurants, he had a Chinese take away called the Happy Gathering, and then wing yip supermarket, which I think was not far to the rear of the Slow Boat.
Old man Chang ( as my Dad used to call him) with his wife and family used to treat us to occasional meals with our family there. I remember my Dad being offered the head of the large cooked fish as a delicacy, at the start of our meal. My Dad was well travelled with work, he had worked with Chinese people abroad and knew it was a great courtesy to be offered it. He accepted and enjoyed it, which delighted old man Chang.My Dad was always happy to try street food wherever he went and lived the chance to soak in the local culture eg. In 1960's Persia- not something my Mum would have begun to try!
My friend and I used to go to help to cash up at the end of the evening, at Slowboat,we were both still at Grammar school so we enjoyed that. Bit like playing at shops. I remember it seemed very grand inside either with very wide steps up to the first floor or possibly even an escalator.
It seems a lifetime ago now. Dr Chang's wife died in the late 1970's and his children were all university age, so he sold up and went to be head of department at Hong Kong polytechnic. He met a new lady out there, who became his wife. They eventually settled in the USA. He died a couple of few years ago in his 90's.
Happy days. I think they set up the restaurants and take aways / supermarket to fill a void in the market being Chinese themselves. They didn't ever work in the kitchens just ran the businesses from a distance.

I also remember Mum used to take my sister and I to the Ceylon Tea house after a long day shopping in town ( Birmingham). I remember being transfixed by the wonderful enlarged black and white photos of tea being picked. It gave me a lifelong desire to visit these areas, which I eventually did about 50 years later. The tea was so refreshing, we were probably desperately thirsty after a whole day around town. Our feet were always sore too from all the walking, which seemed endless. It would be the last thing we did before catching the bus back home.
I remember Mum would sometimes say could we just pop into Days to have a look at shoes on the way to the bus( probably the first thing for her rather than things for the house or us) and my sister and I would grumble that we were too tired. We were young, and I hope not spoilt, but wish now I could turn back the clock and go in there with her. Mum was a wonderful Mum.
Occasionally we would go into the Kardomah tea rooms instead ( or was it called coffee shop). I know Mum used to go in there for her lunch during the war years sometimes. She worked as an auditor for J.W. Hinks and Co. Accountants , Waterloo Street, Birmingham.
I worked at J.W. Hinks and Co. but they were in Smethwick.
I left in 1987.

I worked at J.W. Hinks and Co. but they were in Smethwick.
I left in 1987.
Yes, Mum used to go to the Christmas party always. She died last year aged 92, but she had worked for J.W.Hinks and co from about 1942. She left in 1958 ( to have me!) She worked for Joe Raybould who was the boss there. Long after she left they moved to the office in Edgbaston next door to Simpsons restaurant opposite The Highfield. Most of the people she knew had died by then, so around about 2000 she stopped going. Her contemporaries there all had knicknames, She was Topsy ( Audrey in reality) then there was Rolly ( someone Rollinson), Greavie, Johnny Anson, and Roade.
She used to accompany Joe all around the country,with having obtained permission in gentlemanly fashion from her parents, all around the country, doing the audit for various businesses. He was really good to her and nurtured her professional development. I think she was his protege.

There used to be a Berni Inn under the new street ramp in the early 1970's remember having a couple of meals there.
There was also a pancake house on new street served sweet or savoury pancakes, I always went for the fruit pancakes with ice-cream I think it was on the corner of New street and lower temple. It may have been called the Tenessee Pancake house.

I pretty sure there was a Happy Gathering and an Old Happy Gathering. I think one was in Dudley Street. It wasn't "smart" more functional but the food was superb.

Back