• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Prefabs in Queens Road, Yardley

datadave

proper brummie kid
As a child I remember being taken to visit a friend of my aunt's who lived in a prefab on Queens Road, Yardley B26. This row of prefabs backed on to what we called 'Yardley Park'. I would imagine that these prefabs were removed many years ago and new houses built. Does anyone know when they were demolished - and importantly, when they were built? Is it possible to find out what numbers in Queens Road that these prefabs had?

datadave

Here is a map from the 1950s which covers queens road by the park. The prefabs were I assume only temporary and not replaced. The buildings are numbered

map c1950s Queens road recreation ground (park).jpg

That looks like prefabs from the tennis club in the west around to the School Lane footpath and also around the western and northern boundaries of the sports ground, Queens Road/Sedgemere Road.
That's interesting because the wood fence around the sports ground has the look of being there 'forever'.

A Google Earth then and now
Late 1940s
QueensRdThen.jpg

Now
QueensRdNow.jpg

and a link to the forum's Prefab thread below .... unfortunately does not have pics of these prefabs but lot of other information and pics about the 'prefab era' ... :)

Last edited:
In 1950's I would go along Queens Road on almost a daily basis, I lived in Garretts Green and this was the route to the Ring o' Bells and to Marlboro cricket club where I spent many a summer evening. I can confirm that there were prefabs either side of the road backing on to Yardley Park on the one side and on to the BCS sports ground on the other. However I don't remember them being built nor being demolished.

Last edited:
The OS Sheet 131 1950-1959 shows houses on the bend of Queens Road that aren't there now.
View attachment 166336
Many thanks for that, Spargone. That is certainly the site of the prefabs. If I remember, there were also prefabs in Hobs Moor Road, roughly opposite to Clements Road where I lived. They also backed onto a park - can't remember what it was called - we used to just call it 'The Rec'. The interesting point to me as a kid was the concrete bases that were still extant as you walked along the path to the Church Road entrance to the Rec. I remember my parents telling me that they were the bases for anti-aircraft guns which were removed to the South Coast later in WW2.

Hi,

I remember walking down Queens Road one evening in the early 1960s, and
a motorcyclist trying to take that bend much too fast didn't succeed.

He hit the lamp post on the pavement on the inside of the bend, and wrecked the
bike and his leg. He wasn't concerned about his leg, only the bike, - a BSA Shooting Star.

A friend who was with me said "I told you so - Shooters are unlucky"
Tt was quite a widely held belief, because they were green!

Kind regards
Dave

Here is a map from the 1950s which covers queens road by the park. The prefabs were I assume only temporary and not replaced. The buildings are numbered

View attachment 166337
Thanks for your response Mikejee. The house numbers appear to be 102 to 140. That narrows the field and eliminates one potential address I had.
That looks like prefabs from the tennis club in the west around to the School Lane footpath and also around the western and northern boundaries of the sports ground, Queens Road/Sedgemere Road.
That's interesting because the wood fence around the sports ground has the look of being there 'forever'.
You may be right about the prefabs in Sedgemere Road, Spargone. I can't be sure from memory although I passed that way regularly regularly, both to my aunt's/grandfather's house in Partridge Road and to the house of a friend who lived in Sedgemere Road, who was a fellow motorcycle enthusiast. My sister used to go that way on her daily travel to Cockshut Hill School.
Hi,

I remember walking down Queens Road one evening in the early 1960s, and
a motorcyclist trying to take that bend much too fast didn't succeed.

He hit the lamp post on the pavement on the inside of the bend, and wrecked the
bike and his leg. He wasn't concerned about his leg, only the bike, - a BSA Shooting Star.

A friend who was with me said "I told you so - Shooters are unlucky"
Tt was quite a widely held belief, because they were green!

Kind regards
Dave
Well, Dave89 I fully empathise with your friend who said that Shooting Stars are unlucky. The 4th motorbike - and the 3rd BSA I owned - was a Shooting Star. It was nothing but trouble from the day I bought it. I spent a lot of time and money rebuilding the engine but could never get it to run evenly without burning loads of oil. I nearly lost a finger when I was fitting new rings (again) and my soon-to-be brother in law decided to kick it over. The piston nearly guillotined my finger as it descended. It wasn't until about 35 years later that I found out that the basic cause of the problem was uneven cam lobes on the magneto cam ring! I got rid of it by part-exchanging it for a Bond Minicar - but that's a story in its own right!
datadave

If my memory serves me correctly,
If my memory serves me correctly, the 'ground' with the pavilion bordered by Queens and Sedgemere Roads belonged to the 'City Officials Sports Club', individuals who worked for the City of Birmingham Corporation. Two of my maternal uncles played rugby there for the 'Officials' way into their 50's. Although rugby football was the boys' winter sport at my school, I never responded to my uncle's invitation to 'get my kit' and join the Saturday games there.

datadave

In 1950's I would go along Queens Road on almost a daily basis, I lived in Garretts Green and this was the route to the Ring o' Bells and to Marlboro cricket club where I spent many a summer evening. I can confirm that there were prefabs either side of the road backing on to Yardley Park on the one side and on to the BCS sports ground on the other. However I don't remember them being built nor being demolished.
I remember the Ring o' Bells well! One of the first pubs I went to when I was old enough. Others included the Blakesley, at the corner of Blakesey and Clements Road, the Richmond, Bordesley Green, the Yew Tree; of course the Swan, Coventry Road and the Bull, Coventry Road ?Small Heath.

I remember the Ring o' Bells well! One of the first pubs I went to when I was old enough. Others included the Blakesley, at the corner of Blakesey and Clements Road, the Richmond, Bordesley Green, the Yew Tree; of course the Swan, Coventry Road and the Bull, Coventry Road ?Small Heath.
The Prefabs were built after the WW2 and the last ones on the Queens Park Road side were knocked down approx 1970 .

The Prefabs were built after the WW2 and the last ones on the Queens Park Road side were knocked down approx 1970 .
Do you have a name for the person? Some erolls are online for these properties. 1950, 1955 and 1957
Spot on 102 was the prefab next to the Queens Road entrance and the other side of the entrance was Yardley LawnTennis Club.
If my memory serves me correctly,

If my memory serves me correctly, the 'ground' with the pavilion bordered by Queens and Sedgemere Roads belonged to the 'City Officials Sports Club', individuals who worked for the City of Birmingham Corporation. Two of my maternal uncles played rugby there for the 'Officials' way into their 50's. Although rugby football was the boys' winter sport at my school, I never responded to my uncle's invitation to 'get my kit' and join the Saturday games there.

datadave
Yes entrance was in Sedgemere Road had a clubhouse and football pitches possibly a cricket and hockey pitch.

There was an application to demolish 102-164 in 1982. They were technically in the Yardley Conservation Area.

Attachments

• Document-78CD7687D54B95CE66371D1C244F631B.pdf
    64 KB · Views: 16
  • Document-42BB3129F2E276F0738658BE8B79D3E0.pdf
    15.1 KB · Views: 12
A Google Earth then and now
Late 1940s
View attachment 166339

Now
View attachment 166340

and a link to the forum's Prefab thread below .... unfortunately does not have pics of these prefabs but lot of other information and pics about the 'prefab era' ... :)
There are still some standing and occupied in the Yardley wood area not far from Sarehole Mill.

Back