• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Black Country Museum

Black Country Museum, Worker’s Institute….Part of the new additions [not new see post 335, but still there.]

“The Heritage Lottery Fund has awarded a £1.535m grant to the Black Country Living Museum, towards the reconstruction of the Cradley Heath Workers' Institute…”

Last edited:
Black Country Museum, Worker’s Institute….Part of the new additions

“The Heritage Lottery Fund has awarded a £1.535m grant to the Black Country Living Museum, towards the reconstruction of the Cradley Heath Workers' Institute…”

It's been there years!

hi guys could you please help me out. reading through this thread you have obviously included photos in your posts, butI cant see them, not even any links to view them,??? any ideas please.

Some earlier photos were lost when the site was hacked in 2011. While many have been replaced some may still be missing as replacement depended on original posters still being members or people having copies.

Some earlier photos were lost when the site was hacked in 2011. While many have been replaced some may still be missing as replacement depended on original posters still being members or people having copies.
thanks janice, that explains why I can see the pics on the later posts. why hack a history site?? makes me mad.

The Black Country Society was formed at the start of 1967, and amongst the photos collected that year is one from 35 to 40 years previous, it is reproduced in the Birmingham Post of May 1967. Unfortunately the quality is rubbish, but here is the text describing the production of the sand from sandstone.

94D8922C-1217-4CEF-838A-A4DC543428DA.jpeg

i think i will pass on the newspaper wrapping me chips.:worried:
you have to remember that back in the Good Old Days newspaper printing ink was made of used engine oil plus black pigment although the used engine oil was pretty black anyway after a few years in an engine.
When released from the newspaper by the hot chip fat and malt vinegar this mix of oil and dirt is what used to give the Great British Chip its unique flavour.

Time warp time..... here are some photos from early 1980's of the Black Country museum in various stages of construction:-
1642590183039.png
1642590229412.png
1642590260701.png
1642590301850.png

Looks like there was a steam rally that day - note the Pat Collins Fairground organ where buildings are now:-
1642590388414.png

What a fantastic piece of kit:-
1642590442734.png
1642590468015.png

Back