• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

myton house

tinagwilliam

Has anyone heard of Myton House Warwick?
It is now a school but never used to be, my maternal grandmothr who we never knew is down on my mum's birth certificate as a domestic servant at Myton?
Any info anyone please!!:)

Hi Tina - I`m afraid I can`t be of much help but your post stood out for me as I grew up on Myton Road, Warwick in the 1960s. I see from Google that there is a Myton House in Claverdon which isn`t in Warwick itself - I wonder if you mean this. I don`t remember anywhere called Myton House but there were quite a few large houses along Myton Road. It`s probably best known for being where Warwick School is - it`s a very long established public school. Back in the 60s there were 2 more schools - modern buildings - and also 2 children`s homes. Barnadoes was in a house called Myton Gables, and there was also another home - I think a National Children`s Home - which was a collection of family houses - the site is where Myton Hospice now is. As I said - there were also several large regency style houses - perhaps you might be able to locate Myton House if you got hold of an old map?
These days it is very developed with housing - I hardly recognise it. But back in your Grandmother`s time it would have been a lovely place to live - easy to walk along the river towards Warwick Castle and the town, and in the other direction easy to walk into Leamington (I`m getting all nostalgic now!). All of this won`t be of interest to you at all if you actually mean the one in Claverdon!!

Kind regards jane

My 15yr old Grandson goes to Myton School which is the other side of St Nicholas's park from the main Warwick/Leamington road. My Daughter won't consider moving house until he finishes 6th form as it is considered to be an excellent School.

There is also Myton House Hospice towards Rugby.
Tinagwilliam, have you found your gran on a census, that would give you more idea of exactly which Myton House is reffered to, if you put details up , will look on Ancestry for you if you don't have access - either post here or pm me.
Sue

What is the year of the birth certificate ? it would help with trying to find it in trade/street directories

The only references i can find to Myton House iin directories are:
1850 Parker Mrs M., Myton house, Warwick
1902 Smith-Turberville H.Esq., FRGS, Myton house, Warwick; New Club (?)
1924 Starkey Col. John Henry, Myton house, Warwick (he has moved to Radway Grange by 1928)

Has anyone heard of Myton House Warwick?
It is now a school but never used to be, my maternal grandmothr who we never knew is down on my mum's birth certificate as a domestic servant at Myton?
Any info anyone please!!:)
Hi Tina.
This is 10 yrs from your inquiry, but I have only ran across this posting.
In 1968 my Father was transferred to the UK to take on a position with Roots motors in Coventry,taken over by Chrysler US.
We rented a large home on Myton rd, set on 8 acres backing onto the Avon River.
The home was Georgian style.
It had been sold to a contractor who's plans were to develop the property into a housing estate. We left the home in 1971
And to my knowledge it was torn down within two years.
It's location is where Ashley Cresent is off
Myton rd.
The home was purchased from a family called Gates, Mr. Gates was a Roots motor dealer from Birmingham.
The Home at one time had been 3 stories
But had been dropped to two stories 100 yrs earlier. Very regal beautiful gardens,
In ground pool,tennis courts, stable, and
Gardeners cottage.
I do have pictures, should you wish to contact me. Hope this helps.

Back