• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

1921 Census.

Searching is pretty much the same as other censuses on findmypast.

Just from search results confirmed one slight mystery and found a mistake on my grandfather's entry.

Probably one of the main differences between the census of 1911 and that of 1921 is that the head of household has now a higher chance of being a woman due to her husband being killed in WW1. That certainly applies to my family with grandmother, a widow aged 35, with four children aged between 9 and 14, living in Whitehouse Street, Aston. Her husband was killed at Arras in 1916. Interestingly, the eldest son, aged 14, is already out at work. He is employed with the general printers Messrs Upton, in Cambridge Street, Birmingham. Does anyone have information on this Company? Thanks.

Edit. This query has been moved to the James Upton Printers thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great now that the 1921 census is available.

Is this the place to post any particular family queries now or should we be using the other forums?

Great now that the 1921 census is available.

Is this the place to post any particular family queries now or should we be using the other forums?
You should use the appropriate other forum for normal enquiries. If you have any particular problems or comments concerning this census then post here

Further info on Upton, printers, mentioned as the place of work in 1921 census for my 14-year old relative.

James Upton was a printer in the central Birmingham area in the 19th century. I believe the premises were in Cambridge Street, and were called Baskerville Works.

I was a compositor at James Upton in the 1960s, by which time they were in Barford Street.

As I recall they'd taken over the Martin Billings business, the only remnant of which seemed to be producing beer bottle labels for Ansells or M&B.

Probably one of the main differences between the census of 1911 and that of 1921 is that the head of household has now a higher chance of being a woman due to her husband being killed in WW1. That certainly applies to my family with grandmother, a widow aged 35, with four children aged between 9 and 14, living in Whitehouse Street, Aston. Her husband was killed at Arras in 1916. Interestingly, the eldest son, aged 14, is already out at work. He is employed with the general printers Messrs Upton, in Cambridge Street, Birmingham. Does anyone have information on this Company? Thanks.

I found a transcription error on the 1921 census. My uncle was transcribed as 8 years old rather than 8 months. It is obvious on the original copy and can be double checked on the tally of children's ages at the end of the page. It is important because this alters his date of birth on the transcript to 1913 rather than 1920. I reported it and have had an acknowledgement from Find my Past this morning. I will keep you all informed of the outcome.

Please use our Surnames section for enquiries. Note: put the Surname of interest first in your thread title followed by other names Thankyou. Viv.

For your Occupation’s information please make a request in the section given below.

Viv.

Last edited:
I found a transcription error on the 1921 census. My uncle was transcribed as 8 years old rather than 8 months. It is obvious on the original copy and can be double checked on the tally of children's ages at the end of the page. It is important because this alters his date of birth on the transcript to 1913 rather than 1920. I reported it and have had an acknowledgement from Find my Past this morning. I will keep you all informed of the outcome.
Thus highlighting the importance of not relying on transcriptions (for anything), always referring to the prime source wherever possible. Use of transcriptions only on the grounds of cost is false economy and bad research.

Just from the search results I've come across a fair few errors. Don't know if they're transcription errors or actual recording errors.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
This thread will be temporarily closed to allow for moderator tidying up. Please note specific enquiries about ancestors may be posted in the thread links listed in posts #57, 58 and 59.

Thank you.

Viv.

This thread is open again. Please post any family/place/occupation search requests to the thread dedicated to that purpose. See posts #42, 43 and 44 for quick links. Thank you.

Viv.

There does seem to be quite few errors so difficult to say if she is somewhere else and her details have been recorded incorrectly or she wasn't recorded for some reason.

Had a similar problem with my great grandparents, great grandmother and children were where I expected in Aston but without great grandfather, who I subsequently found in the Coventry workhouse.

Hopefully your grandmother will turn up (hopefully though not in a workhouse).

Hi All,

For me, I feel that access to the 1921 Census has been set at a high cost. The 1911 Census platform let us buy credits and with those credits, we could see the Census data and the document together. To pay £2.50 to see that data and then another £3.50 to view the document, a total of £6, is very wrong.

Someone at Find My Past has got the model very wrong. I agree that a number of people worked on the project to Digitalise all of the sheets from the Census. Yes Find my Past will want to claim back that cost, however, I feel Find My Past firstly have massive opportunities to obtain revenue from other directions. Some of you have mentioned other services where you are collecting data for your families. It's not difficult to work out that selling access to their data is an easy one to get good revenue back confirmed. Also did anyone at the National Archive or at Find My Past consider applying for funding from other sources, e.g. National Lottery. This may have been ruled out due to Find My Past wanting a profit. But they could have created a Non-profit company called Census1921, which could then apply for grants. Sell the data to Find My Past and others for non-profit. After all the Census belongs to the people and the people should have access to the census in a sensible cost effect way. They feel they have ticked that box by offering the service free at some libraries as well at Kew.

The model they have today is expecting people who don't care much about the cost and the hope they will make back some of their investment. However, I feel that the voice of the public needs to vote and voice their displeasure with the current platform and the current cost model. £2.50 to view the data and get the document I feel would be a fair model. I also feel that Find My Past should enough some volume discounts, i.e. £10 to view 5 records. Most of us will want to look at a large number of Census records, if the model is fair, then we will spend the money.

Please can you review the current feedback on Find My Past on the Trust Pilot Website here. Trust Pilot Feedback FMP also Trust Pilot Feedback AU FMP Please do voice your feedback on the Census service.

Also, you may like to send a formal complaint to the Nationa Achieves, who gave the contract to Find My Past. Their email address is [email protected] and the link to the complaint page is here. National Archives Complaint

The more of us that voice our concerns the more chance that Find My Past may review their platform service and consider offering a better cost model to the people who created the Census in the first place!

Thank you in advance for any support.

Dont even bother to pay £2.50 for the transcription as it appears there are lots of mistakes as it was transcribed in another country. You need the original £3.50 only. I was hoping that at some point soon Ancestry would make FMP an offer to pay a substantial amount to them so they could share the data but apparently FM have signed a contract for 3 years which allows them sole rights

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
I'd assume that at some stage the 1921 census will become part of a normal findmypast subscription.

Do you need the transcript to confirm an address or is that on the original?
Just wondering as I haven't bought anything yet.

You can search just using the full address or just part of it by using the *.

Whatever address returns a result would appear on the transcript I would think, if that corresponds to the actual address on the scan is a different question. I searched for someone on Upper Trinity Street (where I know they were) but I found them under Upper Frankley Street which I assume is an error, though would still be the address on the transcript.

Do you need the transcript to confirm an address or is that on the original?
Just wondering as I haven't bought anything yet.
The original image is just one side of the form- the back. The address is on the front which can be seen by clicking on the thumbnail "extra materials" This can only be accessed when you pay. So always make sure that you have the correct household. Double check some of the names of the family members when you search. If any of you are members of Lost Cousins the last 2 newsletters have been really helpful. I recommend you register with the site. You can get a step by step guide to accessing the census. lostcousins.com

I also found a big transcript error on a much earlier census while looking up a great great grandmother it described her as 3 years old and living alone, she was in fact 83 years old, pays to look at the transcript and the census form, though I am reluctant to pay findmypast for this info until the offer is more affordable

Many reported errors seem ridiculous. I did not see in that article any promises to refund the fees of those who have been sold incorrect data! Perhaps the transcriptions were done by Dennis the Menace (also owned by the same people)

Last edited:
Back