• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Will - William Maybury/Mayberry/Maebury etc.

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Does everyone have to have wills or probate? I'm searching for one for William Maybury, born in West Bromwich in 1741 and the most likely death is 1801 in Birmingham. His last child Jabez was born in this city. There's quite a lot of documentation about his wife Jane (nee Jackson) including her will but nothing for William.

Any ideas or hints would be most welcome please.

Can't help with that Lady P but my boss at Brooklyn Garage in Great Barr was a John Mayberry, his family owned most of the farmland around the area including the site of Brooklyn Tech..

Can't help with that Lady P but my boss at Brooklyn Garage in Great Barr was a John Mayberry, his family owned most of the farmland around the area including the site of Brooklyn Tech..
Is that your tree on Ancestry? It shows William's father as Salvanous Mebuary. William was buried in St. Philips, Birmingham on 1 June 1801

My first mother in law Daisy Maybury was born in Farm street 1905, her father William born 1865, his father Jabez Silvanus Maybury b 1835 son of William Maybury b 1811

Last edited:
Is that your tree on Ancestry? It shows William's father as Salvanous Mebuary. William was buried in St. Philips, Birmingham on 1 June 1801
Thank you but I don't have a tree on Ancestry Sue, although that is my husband's family. I'm looking into several properties in Erdington/Sutton Coldfield which belonged to Sylvanus b.1770 at West Bromwich so at the moment I'm trying to find wills belonging to the family. The problem with wills is that they rarely state names or exact places, just 'land at' or something similar.

My first mother in law Daisy Maybury was born in Farm street 1905, her father James born 1865, his father Jabez Silvanus Maybury b 1835 son of William Maybury b 1811
Thanks Alberta. As I explained to Sue the Maybury's are my husband's family and luckily, in 1993 his two cousins, Margaret and Eileen, produced a family history for the Mayburys. This was done the hard way with visits to the library etc. as much more is on line now as you know.

I belong to a Sutton research group and had been looking into three properties in this town. When I got back to the time of the enclosures a name leaped out at me - Sylvanus Maybury - and thanks to the cousins and such a distinctive name I knew I had his will and the family history. Strangely, three pieces of land that he owned in the early 1800's are the ones that I'm looking into. Is he trying to tell me something!!

My husband Graham's grandmother was Nellie Maybury (1895-1986) who, in the 1940's managed the Eagle Pub in Park Lane, Aston with her husband Alfred. She was the eldest daughter of William Jabez Maybury and his wife Harriett Saville Barratt.

I'm having to keep referring back to the family history as there are so many name repeats I lose track. However, I think that James (b. 1835), Daisy's father was Nell's father William Jabez's (b.1863) younger brother.

What do you think?

Back