• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham newspapers

Paulo76

master brummie
Hi all,
Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place but wondered if any of you could guide me how to search a specific historic edition of the Birmingham Mail from January 1910?
Thank you in advance,
Paul

There are some editions of the Birmingham Mail on findmypast. You can use the filters to narrow them down to a specific date or you can just search for a term or name in all or a date range.

There are a few members who have access to Birmingham newspapers online. What was the exact date, and on what subject ?

There are a few members who have access to Birmingham newspapers online. What was the exact date, and on what subject ?
Thanks for the reply. Below is a cutting from the B'ham Mail, 8th Jan 1910. My great grandfather was named Herbert Barham and lived in the Aston area. As shown below, someone of his name was in trouble with the law for stealing some pork but his name had been misprinted. The article is from 08/01/1910 which I believe was a Saturday and the misprint is from the previous Wednesdays edition so I need to search for Herbert Barbour (as per the misprint) on that date, 5th Jan 1910. Hopefully some details in the article will confirm if the miscreant was my relative.

...Cutting from Birmingham Mail Jan 1910.JPG

Thank you so much for looking that up. Unfortunately, I can't confirm that's my relative without details of his age. I don't have record of him living at that address but his family seemed to move very frequently in the Lozells, Handsworth and Aston Manor area so I can't rule it out. In 1908 he was working as a "Coachman Domestic Servant", could be a groom?

Last edited:
Back