• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old tram routes in birmingham

I don't remember trams in Park Lane and old maps don't show tram tracks. There were certainly trams in Park Road as shown below in the Electric Trams thread ... :)
Tram 631 on Park Road Aston. The 3X route closed in 1949 and buildings in this pic were demolished to make way for the Aston Expressway. Note ... I added colour to this image
index.php

OuterCircleBus, the 3X tram was replaced by the 39 bus (see attached painting), the 78 Short Heath tram was replaced by the 65 bus (which I used to use when I lived of Slade Road, as you say the 64 bus replaced the Erdington No. 2 tram, I forgot which bus replaced the No. 79 Pype Hayes tram. Eric
The service no, 66 bus route replaced the 79 tram route. The was another, 67 route, which went to Castle Vale - introduced in 1967.

This is heart wrenching to watch...so many memories and now trams have made a come back, seems so pointless.
Dave A

i agree it is sad but also very vital to have ...without footage like this the history of our trams is lost forever...enjoyed watching it and i even managed to spot a few locations as the tram was going on its journey....the model of no 616 is splendid...

ashamed to say i dont know so could anyone confirm where the last tram is now...surely it was preserved

lyn

Tramcar 395 is preserved and located at the Think Tank. It was forerly kept ai the Science Museum in Newhall Strret.

I don't remember trams in Park Lane and old maps don't show tram tracks. There were certainly trams in Park Road as shown below in the Electric Trams thread ... :)
A map of old(1940) Brum tram routes.

Attachments

• Screenshot (421).png
    Screenshot (421).png
    140 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot (422).png
    Screenshot (422).png
    86.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Trams from Witton Garage used this route to service No 5 Lozells to Gravelly Hill route they would travel up hill and turn in to Victoria Rd at the top of the hill. Conductor and Motorman would stop traffic and change tracks to allow the tram to continue either to return to Witton Garage or come into service no. 5.

When did trams stop running on the Bristol Road ? I think (?) I remember seeing them in the middle of the road, but that could be a false memory, maybe I only saw the tracks before they were ripped up / buried. Thanks
Andrew.

When did trams stop running on the Bristol Road ? I think (?) I remember seeing them in the middle of the road, but that could be a false memory, maybe I only saw the tracks before they were ripped up / buried. Thanks
Andrew.
The last Bristtol Road trams ran June 1952.

395 was the only BCT tram preserved, the rest were scrapped by Birds at Stratford, in The late David Harvey's book on the scrapping of Birmingham buses, there are pictures of scrapped trams. Remember the last tram ran in 1953 just 8 years after the end of the war and the times were still quite austere and the preservation bug had not really bitten. It did, not very long after, but by then a lot that should have been preserved had been destroyed. One of the problems preserving anything from Bct was where could it be run, by whom and how? it would have needed a dedicated track, overhead wires etc and Black Country Museum, which can now supply these was not yet conceived. No trolley buses were preserved either, two were converted to diesel buses
Bob

Thanks for that. I would have been almost 2, so I will go for false memory. Possibly saw a photo in later years and it ended up in the wrong brain slot.
Andrew.

The last Bristtol Road trams ran June 1952.

395 was the only BCT tram preserved, the rest were scrapped by Birds at Stratford, in The late David Harvey's book on the scrapping of Birmingham buses, there are pictures of scrapped trams. Remember the last tram ran in 1953 just 8 years after the end of the war and the times were still quite austere and the preservation bug had not really bitten. It did, not very long after, but by then a lot that should have been preserved had been destroyed. One of the problems preserving anything from Bct was where could it be run, by whom and how? it would have needed a dedicated track, overhead wires etc and Black Country Museum, which can now supply these was not yet conceived. No trolley buses were preserved either, two were converted to diesel buses
Bob
There is also a second Birmingham tramcar in preservation - car 107 is at the Aldridge Transport Museum, although it is a long term restoration project - details on their website:-
1643095868587.png

Back