• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Valor Heating

I was there then, it was certainly an unusual place to work, but, there was a lot of heritage.

When I worked at Esso Bromford lane I was able to buy a fire direct from Valor at a very good price, there was some link between Esso and Valor that allowed employees of Esso to get discount.

Yes I worked in the spares dept in the late 60's, I can't remember any names now unfortunately, but I do remember it was a nice place to work, as I was in a group at the time we tried to style ourselves as 'the move' lookalikes, management did a lot of tut touting so I left

When I worked at Esso Bromford lane I was able to buy a fire direct from Valor at a very good price, there was some link between Esso and Valor that allowed employees of Esso to get discount.
I think the link was that the stoves used the fuel that Essie sold. It was a win win!

I think the link was that the stoves used the fuel that Essie sold. It was a win win!
In our case it was a gas fire which they manufactured in the days before natural gas, I certainly take your point though. Unlike Shell Esso would also give employees discount on heating oils, during my 26 years with Shell I can honestly say we never got discount on anything but, of course, their answer was we were well enough
paid as it was.

In our case it was a gas fire which they manufactured in the days before natural gas, I certainly take your point though. Unlike Shell Esso would also give employees discount on heating oils, during my 26 years with Shell I can honestly say we never got discount on anything but, of course, their answer was we were well enough
paid as it was.
WOW! I think someone at Shell missed the point! It’s really about getting employees to buy into the company. I guess they did alright.

WOW! I think someone at Shell missed the point! It’s really about getting employees to buy into the company. I guess they did alright.
We had the share option scheme which was very favourable but having a young family resulted in no spare cash at the time.

We had the share option scheme which was very favourable but having a young family resulted in no spare cash at the time.
Nick, understand! The key I think is a discount on something you need and can use. The share option scheme is good if you have the money. I worked for Purolator for about 20 years and one of the things we made were automotive fuel, oil air and transmission filters. We had a really good share option but 50% off manufacturing cost on filters. One of our cars was a BMW 2002Tii and the air filters from the dealer(which we supplied) were equivalent to about $100 USD, our manufacturing cost was less than $10.00!

Hi....and greetings from Perth, Western Australia.

Wonder if you could help......just doing some historical research of the Valor company....am trying to get a FIRM date when the VALOR 56R KEROSENE HEATER was first made??

I do not have much information on the web after extensive research.

Next step, any info would be appreciated of a timeline when kerosene heaters were first mass produced in Birmingham UK during the early 1900's??....I have pin pinpointed to 1929?

Quite a number of Valor kero heaters have been circulating throughout Australia and I have owned a few.

Marvellous antiques deserving....and preserving some sort of history information.

Any info would be much appreciated!
Kind regards,
Phil

Attachments

• IMG_7679.JPG
    IMG_7679.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Welcome to the forum.

Have you seen these two sites?

Last edited:
Back