• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Radio

as i posted i bought one off ebay ended up with 3. i listen to MW at 5am every morning on my walk, i have to hold the radio and turn it as i walk to get a signal just like the old days. remembering having to hold one to my lughole to listen to radio caroline in the 60s. good old. I still like using Amplitude Modulation
:grinning:
At this moment I'm listening to an AM radio as I watch FR24 on my laptop. BAW98 has just reported to London Brecon on it's way to LHR ... :rolleyes:

I am going to see if I can listen on a catch up my mate told me over Christmas. Virginia McKenna on Radio 2.

I used to have a little 2 band transistor radio, medium wave and aircraft band, (118 - 136). In those days, aircraft used AM like medium and long wave, so the technical challenge was not too great to extend the frequency coverage of the tuner. Interesting, but not as good as Radio Luxembourg.

Andrew.

"aviation still use am" the reason for Amplitude modulation, or AM radio, transmission is not subject to the capture effect. ( capture effect, that is, two FM signals with the same or close frequency, only the stronger signals are mediated. This is one reason that the aviation industry has chosen to use AM for communications rather than FM, allowing multiple signals to be broadcast on the same channel.

I used to have a little 2 band transistor radio, medium wave and aircraft band, (118 - 136). In those days, aircraft used AM like medium and long wave, so the technical challenge was not too great to extend the frequency coverage of the tuner. Interesting, but not as good as Radio Luxembourg.

Andrew.
My laptop and the radio I use. Flightradar24 on screen ... 9649 aircraft in flight across the world ... RAF are training over North Wales.
sIMG_1158.JPG
Keeps me interested in these wintery Covid times ... I don't do it every day ! ....... :grinning:

Despite living in Edgbaston my Dad loved the shipping forecast and listened to it avidly. To my knowledge the only time he was near the sea was crossing the Channel to go to war and again on the way back. His twin was in the Royal Navy perhaps they were in sympathy with each other.
Or maybe he was checking for foul weather over in the Rezza!!!!:D:D

NoddKD

Despite living in Edgbaston my Dad loved the shipping forecast and listened to it avidly. To my knowledge the only time he was near the sea was crossing the Channel to go to war and again on the way back. His twin was in the Royal Navy perhaps they were in sympathy with each other.
Or maybe he was checking for foul weather over in the Rezza!!!!:D:D

NoddKD
My dad also. But then my partner always listens to the traffic news when we are not going anywhere. She is very god with road numbers, unlike me. As a chid I would play with the tuner and imagine I was hearing coded messages and I loved making it whistle. I have picked up what I thought were police messages. I would be told to put that right before dad got back from work.

Does anyone remember a comedy show? Now, I can't remember the title even, but they did a spoof of a soprano singing, "I Could Have Danced All Night.?
They were having trouble with holding the radio station frequency, and kept losing her amidst badly tuned whistles crackles and bleeps.
I will resurrect it from memory.....

I could have bleeped all night, I could have bleeped all night, and still have begged for more!
I could have spread my bleeps, and done a thousand bleeps I'd never done before,
I'll never know what made it so exciting,
When all at once my bleep took flight,
I only know, when he,
Began to bleep, with me,
I could have whistle, crackle bleeped, all night!

If you look on ebay you can pick up an old Grundig radio for @£25 and they have pretty good speaks and the radio is quite signal sensitive.

Does anyone remember a comedy show? Now, I can't remember the title even, but they did a spoof of a soprano singing, "I Could Have Danced All Night.?
They were having trouble with holding the radio station frequency, and kept losing her amidst badly tuned whistles crackles and bleeps.
I will resurrect it from memory.....

I could have bleeped all night, I could have bleeped all night, and still have begged for more!
I could have spread my bleeps, and done a thousand bleeps I'd never done before,
I'll never know what made it so exciting,
When all at once my bleep took flight,
I only know, when he,
Began to bleep, with me,
I could have whistle, crackle bleeped, all night!
I recall a similar joke in which a newly arrived African in England speaks but with various clicks and whistles interposed in his otherwise perfect RP English. The punch line was that he had learned his English from the BBC World Service on the short wave band.

When I was in the Juniors we had one lesson a week from the headmaster. It could be anything from poetry, a current topic, the moon landing, graphs, decimalisiation or describing one of our classmates, he said we would make useless witnesses in court, and we were all terrified of him. One week he picked me out, I would never have volunteered, to describe a room in my house. I mentioned the wireless so he stopped me and said, why do I call it a wireless. Because that's what is is called I replied. But why a wireless he asked. Titters from the class. He went on, it has a wire in a plug to make it work and if you remove the back, it's full of wires. He never explained it either though.

When I was in the Juniors we had one lesson a week from the headmaster. It could be anything from poetry, a current topic, the moon landing, graphs, decimalisiation or describing one of our classmates, he said we would make useless witnesses in court, and we were all terrified of him. One week he picked me out, I would never have volunteered, to describe a room in my house. I mentioned the wireless so he stopped me and said, why do I call it a wireless. Because that's what is is called I replied. But why a wireless he asked. Titters from the class. He went on, it has a wire in a plug to make it work and if you remove the back, it's full of wires. He never explained it either though.
if you removed one it would be a wire less:grinning:

I mentioned the wireless so he stopped me and said, why do I call it a wireless. Because that's what is is called I replied. But why a wireless he asked. Titters from the class. He went on, it has a wire in a plug to make it work and if you remove the back, it's full of wires. He never explained it either though.
The 'wireless' is an abbreviation for 'Wireless Telegraphy', a term still used as in The Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006, the law that obliges TV watchers to have a licence.

Isn't it strange though how post-war, possibly as a result of American influence, 'wireless' came to be thought old-fashioned, rather like the gramophone became a record player, yet 'Wi-Fi' is now the way to connect up computers?

Back