• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Radio

i see the beeb has removed its internet radio stations. now you have too log in

Internet radio should be free or minimal costs. It’s digital technology which minimizes infrastructure requirements and operating costs. Thats why the phone companies shifted to digital (in part) so quickly!

BBC radio is log in free on the BBC Sounds app for phone/computer

At least we're not stuck with just four TV stations these days. Britbox is pretty good, PlutoTV on the NowTV stick/phone/computer has some good content sometimes but you have to look for it https://www.pluto.tv/en/live-tv/deadly-women-gb and its free. The only beeb content I've watched today was Around the World in Eighty Days with David Tennant starring.

Remember the days, when abroad, searching for the best place for reception of the BBC World Service to check the football results ?

i liked listening to BFBN ON A SUNDAYS
A history of the British Forces Broadcasting Service (BFBS), which reported on the major events during the Second World War. Former presenters such as Cliff Michelmore, Jean Metcalfe and Sandie Jones recall the stories and programmes, including the popular Two Way Family Favourites.

Last edited:
“1st January 1951 Radio Drama "The Archers" begins after a number of pilot episodes on the BBC Midlands Home Service the previous year. The longest running daily serial in the world.”

Was it 208 that had a long standing commercial with K - E - Y - N - S - H - A - M spelt out letter by letter? Can't remember what it was for though. Found out later where that was, (Bristol). Even been through there.
Andrew.

jennyann wrote

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.​

Staff member

Last edited:
I had a little transistor radio for my 13th birthday and took on a school camping/climbing trip and it was like a kid today walking into school with a brand new iPhone lol. Up in Snowdonia Luxembourg and Voice of America would come booming through. Still love radio today, ham radio and listening in on 'short wave' and have a couple of radios to use for that.

Back