• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My First Car

My first car ( apart from army ones ) was a Austin mini, reg 899 UP. As usual with British cars ( remember them ) the engine was ok but the bodywork soon deteriated into rust. I seem to remember the piston damper in the carburettor had to be topped up quite frequently. I now drive a Seat Ateca 2 ltr diesel automatic 50mpg & not a ha`poth of bother. I`m due to change it soon & can`t make up my mind to get a Golf, Audi or Beamer, that way i don`t have to bother about speed limits or driving sensibly !!

My first car was an Austin A35, 948 cc A Series engine. Had it off my uncle who had it new on the employee's scheme. He was a tinsmith in the Austin West Works from 1934 until his retirement in 1975. After 58 years of driving - countless cars and motorbikes, I'm back to a 1 litre again. Toyota now, and incredible what they can now achieve with that small three pot engine.

It seems a pity that we are going to have to sacrifice the internal combustion engine on the alter of green technology.

My first car was an Austin A35, 948 cc A Series engine. Had it off my uncle who had it new on the employee's scheme. He was a tinsmith in the Austin West Works from 1934 until his retirement in 1975. After 58 years of driving - countless cars and motorbikes, I'm back to a 1 litre again. Toyota now, and incredible what they can now achieve with that small three pot engine.

It seems a pity that we are going to have to sacrifice the internal combustion engine on the alter of green technology.
yer and me now its brill. 998cc. i did have a A35 van once that liked lying on its side on corners:(

A couple of cars in, I bought a Ford Zephyr Mk2 (£30, 3 speed column change, bench seats :D ). Over a lot of cars, and years, that was my biggest engine. That record was finally broken by my first Classic Range Rover at 3.5 litres, and then a short time later by another Rangie at 4.2 litres. Since then, the cc have been downwards, but not by too much. I think the smallest engine was in a Standard 8. Andrew.

A couple of cars in, I bought a Ford Zephyr Mk2 (£30, 3 speed column change, bench seats :D ). Over a lot of cars, and years, that was my biggest engine. That record was finally broken by my first Classic Range Rover at 3.5 litres, and then a short time later by another Rangie at 4.2 litres. Since then, the cc have been downwards, but not by too much. I think the smallest engine was in a Standard 8. Andrew.
Love Range Rovers remember when they first came out in 1970. All these years later to me still the best luxury 4x4 in the world that can go anywhere.

My first car was an Austin 1100 smooth ride just like the Maxi Austin 1800 . All made in Brum and in those days 3rd party fire and theft motor insurance. Also if you had a loan you had to have Fully Comprehensive.

I mis remembered my Classic Rangie 4.2, it was actually 3.9. (Maybe the bores were worn out to 4.2) ! It was the soft dash version, automatic box, and my wife loved driving it. I even got the chance to drive it sometimes. The current Landcruiser is capable and comfortable, but just misses that je ne sais quoi that the Rangies had.
Also in my long list was an Austin Maxi. Fine car apart from the cable driven gear change, which added its own piquancy to the driving experience. Andrew.

I mis remembered my Classic Rangie 4.2, it was actually 3.9. (Maybe the bores were worn out to 4.2) ! It was the soft dash version, automatic box, and my wife loved driving it. I even got the chance to drive it sometimes. The current Landcruiser is capable and comfortable, but just misses that je ne sais quoi that the Rangies had.
Also in my long list was an Austin Maxi. Fine car apart from the cable driven gear change, which added its own piquancy to the driving experience. Andrew.
Range Rovers Rule in my book the V8 petrol sound was great . The Maxi was a big roomy car and the 1750 HL was great . Iam sure they changed from cable change to rod on the later models. The Range Rover is i think on peoples wish lists to own it is mine.

Never been a "petrol-head". Often went without a car, there are buses and when younger bikes. My car story, approx. never kept diaries. 1959, Morris 10/4,right nail! never got the steering sorted, we were going to go down to Woolacombe, but three teenagers hired an A40 from a place in Northfield instead, I'd passed my test three days before. Up Porlock and Lynmouth Hills, cars really did go up backwards to use the lower gear. Next was a Wolseley NF, loved that car, used it as a team-bus for a boys soccer team from Balsall Heath to Daisy Farm. Starter motor used to jam but I could get it off and back on in minutes. Bought it because I was getting too wet walking home from Solihull to Garretts Green. Still had it in'63 to go to "OldBrummies" farewell party when he went to Aussie. By now I was driving BFBC Land Rovers, monthly trips to Snowdonia etc. annual trips to Pyrenees and the like. Was invited to take a trip to Abu Simbul but opted out. Then I had a 100/4 Healey, road-trip to Athens. Use to take it down to Rissington in Cotswolds to drive on an old airfield. Nothing of note since, a couple of Lada Rivas could get, hay in the back. A couple of years ago got treated to a "red letter" day driving Aston Martin DB8 and a Porsche.

Last edited:
Back