• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fishing

OK, I do recall seeing bream for sale in the fish shop on Stratford Road
poached no license as in stealing, not cooking Stealing fish is contrary to section 1 of the Theft Act 1968. The Act also creates poaching offences to cover situations where wild fish are taken. Taking wild fish from a river is poaching, but removing a dead fish from a fisherman's car boot is theft.

I have loved reading this thread.

My husbands family have always loved fishing, his grandfather won the BAA 'Big un' in 1934 and his 2 sons won in later years.
I love the description of the rods and creels, took me back to sitting on the bank at Arley waiting for my husband to land a big Barbel.

My husband still fishes but my son is in to it in a really big way 'a bit obsessed' match fisherman, but the tackle they carry or transport on their trolleys compared with years ago is ridiculous, rods , poles, umbrellas and a seat box almost too heavy to lift., and the fees to fish seem to go up and up.

I loved the thought of giving a bloke a packet of cigs to fish his water.

Alberta.

OK, I do recall seeing bream for sale in the fish shop on Stratford Road
Sea Bream were on sale at the City Centre fish market, but as you say freshwater bream could be very earthy.

I remember camping at Arley and night fishing for eels. We soaked them in salted water for some hours and then tried to cook them. Waited till the old man came and he loved them, so we then tucked in, and put several lines out the next night.

Sea Bream were on sale at the City Centre fish market, but as you say freshwater bream could be very earthy.

I remember camping at Arley and night fishing for eels. We soaked them in salted water for some hours and then tried to cook them. Waited till the old man came and he loved them, so we then tucked in, and put several lines out the next night.
i got a eye infection off eels. through angling i mean handling them and touching my eye.

Alberta. all for 20 woodbines and we got a cuppa and bacon sarnie as well. i remember fishing at salford park,all i had was a home made rod.it was a cane,safety pins cut to make rings and a 2/6 reel from woolies i was pulliing them out, a bloke come with everyting even the sink and sat by me and never cought a thing, :grinning:
my dad was a Character,one day we went sea fishing.on the way home i said "Dad you stink of fish. he said could be this,and got some smelly mackerels wrapped in newspaper out his inside pocket we had used as bait.
anther time we was at stourport all of a sudden there was a crash and spashing noise then %^%$£"Q . i never heard so many swearwords:( the wooden base had collapsed and he fell in the river

The only time I ever caught fish was on a two week camping holiday way back in 1954 when six of us decided to go to Combe Martin in Devon. After a week we were low on money so decided to catch and cook some fish. We bought fishing lines, hired two rowing boats and rowed out to sea ... you could do that in those days.

Some distance out we stopped, put mussel bait on the lines, lowered them into the sea and immediately felt tugs on the lines. We pulled the lines up to see fish about 12" long on the hooks and after catching eight we rowed back to the beach. Walking back to camp someone told us the fish were 'whitings' and also how to fillet and cook them over a camp fire.

We were not allowed to have fires on the site so cooked the fish on sticks over a primus stove for a tasty enjoyable meal. We rowed out the next day but there was a heavy swell on the sea and soon discovered it was possible to feel sea-sick in rowing boats as they went up and down on the swell. One lad did become sick as we quickly rowed back to the beach.

Our camp site with table made from branches ... :)
Combe Martin teatime.jpg Ted Bill Cliff Phil.jpg

The only time I ever caught fish was on a two week camping holiday way back in 1954 when six of us decided to go to Combe Martin in Devon. After a week we were low on money so decided to catch and cook some fish. We bought fishing lines, hired two rowing boats and rowed out to sea ... you could do that in those days.

Some distance out we stopped, put mussel bait on the lines, lowered them into the sea and immediately felt tugs on the lines. We pulled the lines up to see fish about 12" long on the hooks and after catching eight we rowed back to the beach. Walking back to camp someone told us the fish were 'whitings' and also how to fillet and cook them over a camp fire.
i fish of the rocks now after getting very sea sick. i thought i was dying.the smaller the craft the worse it is.
well one night i was fishing just as the tide was coming in. like you i felt the line go struck we are in i thought. when i lifted the fish out the water it was croaking like a frog and flapping it frightend me, i thought what the eck is this thing
Red Gurnard Fishgurnard.jpg

Last edited:
poached no license as in stealing, not cooking Stealing fish is contrary to section 1 of the Theft Act 1968. The Act also creates poaching offences to cover situations where wild fish are taken. Taking wild fish from a river is poaching, but removing a dead fish from a fisherman's car boot is theft.
Pete, i used to fish with a couple of mates by the weir in Worcester. One lad caught a lovely salmon which he took home, which begs the question, is that stealing? I know if i caught a salmon (fat chance ) i wouldn`t throw it back.

Pete, i used to fish with a couple of mates by the weir in Worcester. One lad caught a lovely salmon which he took home, which begs the question, is that stealing? I know if i caught a salmon (fat chance ) i wouldn`t throw it back.
and we did plenty of eels to be caught.
i dont think you would be stealing if you had the appropriate license and stuck uk gov guidelines

What sort of fishing licence do I need? - Lines on the Water

Freshwater rod fishing rules - GOV.UK

things are gona change

River Severn: Is a new law needed to help salmon? - BBC News

Last edited:
I went mackeral fishing many years ago in Borth. I caught a red gurnard and yes they do squeal!! I had to wrap it in a towel to get it off the hook and throw it back. The fish went"off" on the way home, it was a hot day.
I had taken seasick tablets just in case but I was OK.
rosie.

My father would take me fishing quite often on Sundays. The first thing he would do when we were on the bank was to tie a length of washing line round my waist and tie the other end to a sturdy wooden peg that he had hammered into the ground. No chance of me falling in.

I went mackeral fishing many years ago in Borth. I caught a red gurnard and yes they do squeal!! I had to wrap it in a towel to get it off the hook and throw it back. The fish went"off" on the way home, it was a hot day.
I had taken seasick tablets just in case but I was OK.
rosie.
Borth we went fishing there every year untill 1986. the river leri had some great mullet.and trout. i once swung a wrasse in and grabbed it "wat a mistaka to maka" it had spines that was like blackthorn:oops:

Back