• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fishing

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
its sat morning 5 am dad shakes me and says rise and shine i get out of bed,
go down stairs and have a wash etc, we start out, the first stop is jordons news agent and dad gets 2 packets of woodbines
for the bloke who owns and lets us fish on is property .then get the 43 bus to town.stopping at the old square. we walk through
the church yard to snow hill station, meet the rest of the gang under the clock,and down to the train on platform 12,half way down a voice shout "come on cant you get up in the mornings"it is the loco driver. off we go to wooten wawen.when we arrive i am not looking farward to the walk,it is a long way to the river. along the rd we stop at the post office/store that i like,becouse i
get a bottle of arden mineral waters pop and a packet of spangles. further on we turn up into the lane by the canel aquaduct me stopping to pic up some wind falls,that was by the hedge row. when we get to the farmers cottage the
lady gives us a cuppa,and dad has a chin wag for a while,gives him his fags and we go to the gate to the field, the mist is all over the field,and all you can see are the heads of the cows,it looks very Eerie,and i am a bit frightend of them
i am only 6 years old. slowly we walk through the cows down to the river. when we are at our pitch we clear some nettles and tackle up,and get fishing. the time is around 12 now so dad gets the tommy cooker out and we have a brew. i open my sarnies,they are corn beef
with a big lump of spanish onion, while we are chomping there are lots of what i thought was rats appear. but dad said they were water vole after the bread. the sun was getting very hot now,so i walked down to a part where i have a paddle. its around 6pm now it was time to head back to the station so off we went.just before the station was a bungalow that sold food etc.you had to
knock on the door.i did,and got a packet of smiths crips the ones with a blue bag of salt in there. on the platform we waited and a steam loco was heard in the distance coming, but it was a straight threw to snow hill as it come through the station shook.
then our train arrived.we got on board. when we got to snowhill it was all quiet now,the shops were closed.and it was getting dark, i watched the thousands of starlings flying around ready to nest for he night. well the 43 bus come and we got on,and was soon home again,i sure am ready for my bed. good night all

its sat morning 5 am dad shakes me and says rise and shine i get out of bed,
go down stairs and have a wash etc, we start out, the first stop is jordons news agent and dad gets 2 packets of woodbines
for the bloke who owns and lets us fish on is property .then get the 43 bus to town.stopping at the old square. we walk through
the church yard to snow hill station, meet the rest of the gang under the clock,and down to the train on platform 12,half way down a voice shout "come on cant you get up in the mornings"it is the loco driver. off we go to wooten wawen.when we arrive i am not looking farward to the walk,it is a long way to the river. along the rd we stop at the post office/store that i like,becouse i
get a bottle of arden mineral waters pop and a packet of spangles. further on we turn up into the lane by the canel aquaduct me stopping to pic up some wind falls,that was by the hedge row. when we get to the farmers cottage the
lady gives us a cuppa,and dad has a chin wag for a while,gives him his fags and we go to the gate to the field, the mist is all over the field,and all you can see are the heads of the cows,it looks very Eerie,and i am a bit frightend of them
i am only 6 years old. slowly we walk through the cows down to the river. when we are at our pitch we clear some nettles and tackle up,and get fishing. the time is around 12 now so dad gets the tommy cooker out and we have a brew. i open my sarnies,they are corn beef
with a big lump of spanish onion, while we are chomping there are lots of what i thought was rats appear. but dad said they were water vole after the bread. the sun was getting very hot now,so i walked down to a part where i have a paddle. its around 6pm now it was time to head back to the station so off we went.just before the station was a bungalow that sold food etc.you had to
knock on the door.i did,and got a packet of smiths crips the ones with a blue bag of salt in there. on the platform we waited and a steam loco was heard in the distance coming, but it was a straight threw to snow hill as it come through the station shook.
then our train arrived.we got on board. when we got to snowhill it was all quiet now,the shops were closed.and it was getting dark, i watched the thousands of starlings flying around ready to nest for he night. well the 43 bus come and we got on,and was soon home again,i sure am ready for my bed. good night all
Thank you, thank you for bringing back memories of my trips with Dad to Hampton Loade. Fields covered in frost and hot tea and toast from the pub on the river bank. Was it yesterday,,,,,,, no seventy years ago. Alf.

Thank you, thank you for bringing back memories of my trips with Dad to Hampton Loade. Fields covered in frost and hot tea and toast from the pub on the river bank. Was it yesterday,,,,,,, no seventy years ago. Alf.
your welcome. Alf. glad it brought back some good times. and bad like the day we went spinning on the cut and i got to close to dad when he cast. i got a spinner in my faceo_O

Thanks for bringing back memories of my childhood. My Dad used to take me with him to all his contests, they used to be in all sorts of obscure places ! You've reminded me of how we used to go on his motor bike to Evesham too. Those misty mornings you've mentioned. We used to fish near Huxley's ferry, it was quiet there then, seventy-odd years ago.

Thanks for bringing back memories of my childhood. My Dad used to take me with him to all his contests, they used to be in all sorts of obscure places ! You've reminded me of how we used to go on his motor bike to Evesham too. Those misty mornings you've mentioned. We used to fish near Huxley's ferry, it was quiet there then, seventy-odd years ago.
BAA contests. :grinning:my dad got a scooter, put a rack on the back of it.the creels were tied on the back and rods between the legs. now you would get nicked riding like that

we went to sligo ireland for a week fishing. it pored all the while. one day we went to lock gill.and hired a rowing boat it cost 2/6 for all day. i just about remember dad rowing like hell to get to the bank when the heavens opend we slowly started to sink.
:grinning:

Also good fishing on the canal at Wootten Warwen.
yer it was before they dredged it and got rid of the weeds and wild irises that grew in the mud by the bank. and re oppend the locks. there were lots of huge pike in there. as i said we made tea on a tommy cooker ,the water was from a stream by the cut.we done that for years. one day the british waterways where digging i asked about the stream were it had gone it was a leak from the cut.:eek:

was there a pub close by with a auto playing piano? you just put a penny in it and away it went:grinning:
There were two pubs as I recall. The River and Rail that was a hotel with a bar but later became a pub serving food. Quite a nice place that we would call into when canoeing. I understand that it is (pre covid) still trading.

There was also the White Lion that had the rudest landlord imaginable. He would go out of his way just to be difficult and awkward.

There were two pubs as I recall. The River and Rail that was a hotel with a bar but later became a pub serving food. Quite a nice place that we would call into when canoeing. I understand that it is (pre covid) still trading.

There was also the White Lion that had the rudest landlord imaginable. He would go out of his way just to be difficult and awkward.
ta mort. thats not good, a pub landlord has to be like the 1640527562767.png i was told when we had a pub

Back