• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

computer help

Pete, maybe we could start a new thread on this if members wish to contribute.

The loss leader sales technique was pioneered by King C Gillette over 115 years ago with his safety razor. Due credit to him, he endeavoured to keep improving his designs until no further improvement was possible. The safety razor certainly gave you a good shave for your money. The body was sold quite cheaply and, in some cases, given away. You then spent a lifetime buying blades. American WWI soldiers were issued with safety razors, whereas we have cutthroats. I do have a WWI issue cutthroat.

Now we spend a fortune on replacement ink.

The loss leader sales technique was pioneered by King C Gillette over 115 years ago with his safety razor. Due credit to him, he endeavoured to keep improving his designs until no further improvement was possible. The safety razor certainly gave you a good shave for your money. The body was sold quite cheaply and, in some cases, given away. You then spent a lifetime buying blades. American WWI soldiers were issued with safety razors, whereas we have cutthroats. I do have a WWI issue cutthroat.

its up to you you:grinning:

That's interesting Pete. I had not realised the rejection was due to a message from the internet.

Exactly Mort, that’s what we have the old give you the razor and you buy the blades! In the US they basically give you the handle when you buy a pack of blades, which by the way the prices has gone way high.

Regarding my Epson XP335 resisting compatible cartridges, I rolled back the Win11 printer driver but Microsoft later updated it. I then uninstalled the printer and made Win11 forget it ever existed. I powered down the computer, restarted, reinstalled the printer and set Win 11 not to update drivers.

My Canon TS5051 was a Christmas present and came with 5 partially filled cartridges hoping I would buy new ones. The cartridges (high capacity) are currently priced as shown below. I didn't buy any
20211215_182329042_iOS.jpg
In the past I've bought printers for less than that price!

The 5 compatible cartridges I've just bought cost half that price!

Regarding my Epson XP335 resisting compatible cartridges, I rolled back the Win11 printer driver but Microsoft later updated it. I then uninstalled the printer and made Win11 forget it ever existed. I powered down the computer, restarted, reinstalled the printer and set Win 11 not to update drivers.

did you have printer probs with win xp?

That's interesting Pete. I had not realised the rejection was due to a message from the internet.
Mike, I had the same thing with an Eason printer before it gave up. I put in a third party cartridge and it would not run. I called Epson and they knew which cartridge and how much ink was in the other cartridges. After that they would send my a pop up to order ink directly from them.

Mike, I had the same thing with an Eason printer before it gave up. I put in a third party cartridge and it would not run. I called Epson and they knew which cartridge and how much ink was in the other cartridges. After that they would send my a pop up to order ink directly from them.
they can read and write to the cartridge chip.

Reply to Pete's post #68
I upgraded from XP to Windows 7 in 2009 and only have vague memories of printing with XP but would not have used compatible cartridges back then. I think printers are easier to set up these days particularly wifi models.
The image below is from an Ink Level app in my iPad. It shows 5 full cartridges in my Canon Printer which were not made by Canon .... ;)
IMG_1376.jpg

Reply to Pete's post #68
I upgraded from XP to Windows 7 in 2009 and only have vague memories of printing with XP but would not have used compatible cartridges back then. I think printers are easier to set up these days particularly wifi models.
The image below is from an Ink Level app in my iPad. It shows 5 full cartridges in my Canon Printer which were not made by Canon .... ;)
View attachment 165142
i only used 98, xp and then win 10 all was ok untill i loaded 10 m

I had to upgrade from windows XP after my laptop was stolen. I had a not too old Canon Laser printer. Not an expensive one, £70, but very useful. It would not work with Windows 7 and Canon outrightly refused to issue a new driver.

My friend found herself in the same position with a Canon Cool Scan slide and negative scanner. Fortunately, I was able to modify the driver and get it working with Windows 7. The Canon Cool Scan cost well over £800.00

I ran Win 98 and XP. Have you tried 'Compatibility Mode' designed for old apps and sometimes devices. It needs some Googling
I have try'd Compatibility Mode but when i load some software it says not Compatible with this ver of win...
a £2000 radio ran ok on xp.a new copy of software for it is around £40 to run it on10.....stuff it i will keep looking on fleabay
for a copy and key and will wipe the win10 off the old laptop.
:(

I have try'd Compatibility Mode but when i load some software it says not Compatible with this ver of win...
a £2000 radio ran ok on xp.a new copy of software for it is around £40 to run it on10.....stuff it i will keep looking on fleabay
for a copy and key and will wipe the win10 off the old laptop.
:(
Some Googling shows it is possible to download Windows XP from various sites. Perhaps you could download Windows XP and put it on a usb stick and use it to replace Windows 10 in your old laptop.

Some Googling shows it is possible to download Windows XP from various sites. Perhaps you could download Windows XP and put it on a usb stick and use it to replace Windows 10 in your old laptop.
i have had a mooch and got one off fleba ...sorted the pc is the face for the radio its pc controled1639648891997.png

I have a very good scanner, an Epson Perfection V100 Photo, which has excellent versatile software. Unfortunately it will not run on W10, even in compatibility mode so I have had to use my older laptop running W7.

Has anyone got a 'Mesh' setup? It appears you need a compatible router and a number of Mesh units. Question is how do the units connect to the router and do these systems work OK? Any help or advice would be appreciated

I have a very good scanner, an Epson Perfection V100 Photo, which has excellent versatile software. Unfortunately it will not run on W10, even in compatibility mode so I have had to use my older laptop running W7.
Jukebox, I have an Epson scanner running well on W10. Had a few problems in the beginning, no charge support from Epson was excellent! The machine is about 6 years old and running well.

Has anyone got a 'Mesh' setup? It appears you need a compatible router and a number of Mesh units. Question is how do the units connect to the router and do these systems work OK? Any help or advice would be appreciated
We are about to get a mesh set up. Should know how good it works. This is for a wireless security system and recommended by the Wi-Fi TV streaming provider as well as the security. Will let you know.

Curious, I have an Epson Perfection V500 her that runs on W10 using the original Epson Scan utility. According to Epson the drivers for the V100 should work if you have the latest version https://www.epson.co.uk/support?productID=1861#product_search should take you there although you might have to change something if your Windows is 32 bit rather than 64.

Thanks for that info wam. When I first contacted Epson in the early days of W10 they were no longer supporting my model but it looks as though they may have had second thoughts! Will give it a try.

Doh!!!! I reinstalled the software as per your link and it still didn't work. After a bit of fiddling around I found that the usb lead was faulty :(. (When I was connecting the scanner to my W7 laptop I was using a different lead). What a muppet!
glad you sust it:grinning:.

As a matter of interest, a couple of days ago I hd a windows update (W10), Ever since then the laptop seems to have booted up in half the time, or less , than it used to. Not sure what they have done

In the past I've had a batch of compatible cartridges rejected by the printer but they are so cheap and its so easy to buy from a different supplier I just dumped them and gone with a new batch which solves the issue. Not convinced taking the printer off line makes any difference mines wired to my main PC and the wifi is on for camera printing or whatever.

I have to ask, what do people use their printer for in this digital age? I print off bank statements from time to time (use my laser printer usually for that), I have a cousin who loves pictures of my grandchildren or long gone family members so I print off photos. Last thing I printed on my inkjet was thirty donkey tales for an upcoming birthday party and the 'pin the tail on a donkey' contest...I touch my printers more dusting them than using them these days ;)

I have an HP printer / scanner and use the instant ink service. These days they do not have to send me cartridges very often. I print mainly blood test results, which are on line as .pdf for me. My doctor prefers me to take them in rather than dig them out of his own computer, and it is easier to discuss over a piece of paper on his desk. The scanner gets much more use, I am scanning all our old photo albums which date from the year Brum and even before. That is a multi winter project. The hardest bit is cataloguing in a sensible scheme. Photo handling programs are fine on the computer, but I back up every photo as a single recoverable .jpg into a separate storage device, and that needs structure. Andrew.

Back