• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wretham Road Handsworth

DJRVST

master brummie
Is anyone aware of the history of the Wretham Road Church? I understand it was Protestant under the banner of New Church? Any images?
Thanks

hello

i just googled wretham road church hockley photo and there is a little info there and a picture of the interior of the church.

chris

Hi - I would be interested in this as well as when I was at school - Soho College on Soho Hill - we used to go to the Church Hall in Wretham Road for our P.E. Lessons every week. I know they also used to have dances in the hall as there was a notice saying "Pass outs not allowed" and I always thought it meant you weren't able to feel faint or pass out :D Judy

Chris
Thanks-I will try the same. I did see a photo in a book some time ago but there seems little otherwise. I have just found a reference about the Church (religion type) on an American site--I will be emailing them
Thanks
David

As said searching Google you can find out about the original church run by the Swedenborgians.

Thanks. Was the Church hall the Masonic Hall or Grand Order of Buffalos? I remember attending a wedding reception there.

Last edited:
Is anyone aware of the history of the Wretham Road Church? I understand it was Protestant under the banner of New Church? Any images?
Thanks
My father and mother where caretakers and members of the New Church in Wretham Road for over twenty years. I lived there till 1967 when my parents retired having being christened there and my sister and married at the church.At the rear of the church was the caretakers house and school buildings consisting of twenty six rooms including ballroom with sprung floor/large stage/club room. Visitors to the church/school included Shaw Taylor/Roy Rogers/Lady Chadwick.If i can be of any assistance with any futher infomation regarding the church/school/buildings or events held there i will be pleased to assist Regards Graham Taylor

My father and mother where caretakers and members of the New Church in Wretham Road for over twenty years. I lived there till 1967 when my parents retired having being christened there and my sister and married at the church.At the rear of the church was the caretakers house and school buildings consisting of twenty six rooms including ballroom with sprung floor/large stage/club room. Visitors to the church/school included Shaw Taylor/Roy Rogers/Lady Chadwick.If i can be of any assistance with any futher infomation regarding the church/school/buildings or events held there i will be pleased to assist Regards Graham Taylor

Hello Graham
Thank you for that. I was Christened there and my parents were married there. I remember going to family wedding receptions there in the 50's. Did the Buffaloes (Grand Order of) meet there? I worked around the corner until the mid 60's so remember the church then. I wondered where the Registers ended up?
David

Hi DJRVST

I'm sorry I am not familiar with this church, but is this it?

Phil

HandsworthWrethamRdChurch2.jpg

Phil.
Its a"was". Wretham Road Church was at the end of Wretham Road where it once joined Hampstead Road and Soho Hill. Demolished in the 70's I think.
David
Hi DJRVST

I'm sorry I am not familiar with this church, but is this it?

Phil

Hi David the Buffaloes held their meetings at the masonic hall located lower down Wretham Rd on the same side as the church.Regarding the registers they were proberly taken to the replacement church in Winleigh Rd Handsworth Wood (off Wellington Rd) i belive Graham

When I was at school (Soho College on Soho Hill) we didn't have facilities for P.E. and this lesson was held at a hall in Wretham Road. I wonder if it was the Masonic Hall? I remember a large hall which also used to hold functions. It was at the far end of Wretham Road (from Hampstead Road). We girls used to walk there in a crocodile for our P.E. lessons.

Judy

Hi Judy if the hall was located at the far end of Wretham Rd it would have been St Francis church hall as the Masonic Hall was half way down and the New Church at the top (nos 9 ) Graham

Thanks so much Graham. You are right and you have just brought the memories flooding back. It was indeed St Francis Church Hall - the name is now so vivid, but I had forgotten the name until you mentioned it.

Judy

This is the Church half way up Wretham Rd. St Francis Church was a catholic Church on the corner of Wretham Rd and Hunters Rd. Max

Thanks Graham
It was the Masonic Hall I am thinking of-I now remember being told that-for years as a child I thought Masonic referred to the City Council!!! There was if I recall correctly a large chair set at the end of the hall. Does the replacement church still exist? Was it a hall or a traditional church? David

Hi David the Buffaloes held their meetings at the masonic hall located lower down Wretham Rd on the same side as the church.Regarding the registers they were proberly taken to the replacement church in Winleigh Rd Handsworth Wood (off Wellington Rd) i belive Graham

Thanks Graham
It was the Masonic Hall I am thinking of-I now remember being told that-for years as a child I thought Masonic referred to the City Council!!! There was if I recall correctly a large chair set at the end of the hall. Does the replacement church still exist? Was it a hall or a traditional church? David

Hi David sorry cannot help regarding chair(was not allowed inside Masonic ) the replacment church was a large converted house ,and is still in use as"New Church" in Winleigh Road Handsworth Wood Birmingham, Graham

I used to go to Wretham Road Church for Sunday school every week. I am sure there was a gulley or something by the side of it that you could walk through and would eventually bring you around Villa Road area, but I am not quite sure.

I used to go to Wretham Road Church for Sunday school every week. I am sure there was a gulley or something by the side of it that you could walk through and would eventually bring you around Villa Road area, but I am not quite sure.

Hi Carolynn Sunday school was held in two rooms the younger children used an upstairs school room/older chiildren used a room on the ground floor.From the upper room you could leave by rear stairs into an open aera then passage way to Charville Road/Hamstead Road.From the ground floor you would leave via the main doors onto the church drive which led onto Wretham Road.ps i also attended the Sunday school.Graham

It was the Charleville Road one - we knew someone who lived there and used to visit.

Graham it wasnt until I was older that I realised why my mom and dad sent us kids out every Sunday afternoon!!

can someone help please. i am looking a photo of wrethem road handsworth. old or new..... thank you

Hi I have no photos to hand,but lived in wretham road from 1949 to mid 60s at the church towards the top of the road (soho hill/hamstead road end) which as now been demolished and replaced with flats.if I can be of any help please ask.( I belive some photos of the church/wretham rd were posted under new christrian church a couple of years ago)

I went to Sunday School at that church in the 1950's,Lived opposite the bottom of Wretham Rd in Hunters Road.
I haven't managed to find any photo's of Wretham Rd either.
Had part time job at Stubbs grocery shop at top of Wretham Rd

Hi. I also attended the sunday school from the mid 50s. belive it or not my mother also worked at stubbs packaging the loose tea and sugar etc.

I have on the 1911 census my husbands great nan living as a servant with a grocer and his wife
Tom william Sewell 1870 burton on trent
Elizabeth Sewell
Martha Cresswell 1881 Dudley Port Tipton

They are listed as living at, 35 Wratham Rd.Handworth. Can not find any reference to this street on any map or on google. I would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on where its gone to? thankyou

Have moved this thread to the Wretham Road thread. Thanks all for solving Jane’s query. Viv.

Back