• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Searching Obituaries (out of country)

Molly_MacD

master brummie
Any advice on how to search obituaries from Bham newspapers?
I have a few specific names/dates I'd like to search and then a few names but no death dates. I'm not sure if there is a central online source?
I'm located in Canada so am still learning how to navigate...
Do families even publish obits there? It's very common in Canada.

Thank you! I used up my 3 free pages already lol.
I'm looking to see if I can find any Obit's on
Dennis Robbins/Robins 1933-1989
Ronald Robbins/Robins 1932-?
Enoch Thomas Dix 1915- October 1998 (passed away in Stafford, Staffordshire
Barbara Golding (1919-? ) wife of Enoch

All born in bham in the Bromsgrove/Irving/Communication Row area (I have know clue of neighbourhood names lol)

I'm trying to figure out if I may have any relatives still alive but don't know if any of these had children.

Dix/Golding children - Edward W b1942 & David T b1945.

Dennis & Ronald appear to have had other siblings - John W & Raymond and possibly Kenneth & Ruth.

Dix/Golding children - Edward W b1942 & David T b1945.

Dennis & Ronald appear to have had other siblings - John W & Raymond and possibly Kenneth & Ruth.
Thank you! I do have a Ancestry DNA hit to what it looks like is Dennis's daughter - I've sent her a message but unfortunately she has not signed in to Ancestry in over a year, and has not responded, she is/was based in Lancashire.

I also have a hit to a lady in the USA who's Grandmother came from Bham named Katie Dix.. She doesn't have any information on her- but the DNA (obviously) and the name Katie (my g-gm was ellen Kate) fit. But I haven't been able to do much looking into that yet.

A couple more snippets of info (which you probably know already):
Enoch Dix married Barbara Golding in 1939 in Oldbury.
Enoch's mother's maiden name was Robbins.

Enoch's name was most likely fudged and he was possibly an illegitimate Dix or a Gidley/Dix though he continued to use the name Dix. Discussed here...

Enoch Thomas Dix birth reg Birmingham June qtr 1915 mmn Robbins
Enoch Thomas Dix, birthdate 7th april 1915, death 1998, sub district Stafford, register Newcastle under Lyme.

Back