• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Cartland Arms

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Doe,s Any-body RecalI A Pub Called The Cartland Arms,
Which Was Along The Moneyhall Rd Kings Norton ,And The Next Pub
Up The Hill FromThe Navigation Pub At The Green KingsNorton
ItIs Now A McDonalds Burger Bar,In ItsHey Day It As Had It,s Shooting And
And Stabbing , As We Used To Call A Pub In The Trade It,s Chequered History ,Pub

If You Are Young ,With a Young Family I Would Not
Recomend The LicenceTrade ,Its A 24 HR job I Passed The Navigation ,
Pub , Yesterday Morning When Drove Into Brum ,And I Came Via; The
Lickey Hills And Down Through The Green And Passed It
And I Seen The Client Tell And I Thought Yes That As Gone That Way As Well Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cartland used to be a fine big old pub at one time, but like all the rest as business begins to fall away it seems they get a little less particular about their customers, now its gone the way of most of the larger pubs. It seems that its only the small houses that are surviving in the outlying area's of the City, as you hear of the bigger ones closing evey week.

I drank in a few pubs round that quarter, most of them have changed, not all for the better. The Navigation as Astonian mentioned. The Bulls Head on the Green, and what was the name of the one up Camp Lane, was it the Railway or something like that?

Phil

KingsNortonCartlandArms.jpg

When I was a school kid in the 50's I used to take bets for people who lived in the prefabs down druids lane to the bookies runner based there, he used to stand just inside the front main doors, sometimes he would tell me to go away as the police would be in unmarked cars in the car park watching.

Then in the 60's the betting act came out and bookies shops opened, that stopped my little earner.
Being turned in to a macdonalds at least it kept the building intact.

When I was a school kid in the 50's I used to take bets for people who lived in the prefabs down druids lane to the bookies runner based there, he used to stand just inside the front main doors, sometimes he would tell me to go away as the police would be in unmarked cars in the car park watching.

Then in the 60's the betting act came out and bookies shops opened, that stopped my little earner.
Being turned in to a macdonalds at least it kept the building intact.

Did you live in the prefabs, riverboy ?
I was a paper kid at Westwoods, up the Maypole, in the 50s.
I might've delivered your "Mail" !

I have drunk in both the Cartland Arms and the navigation in my time, I don't remember any shooting though, only the one in the "Ivy Bush" Hagley Road, sixty's I think.
paul

hi paul;
yes yo can rest assured there was a shooting in the cartland arms many years ago i tink it was back in the late sixtys or the seventys
hw i knw for several reasons because i sed to used that pub myself ; and it was also printed in the news papers it was a week end job ;
in fact it was saturday night shootings and and also i was a pub manager on the circuit ;and all our or most gaffers know each other
and also he guy whom pub it was left because of the situation ;with his family so the brewery moved him around

have a good day paul ; and a merry christmas and a healthy and prosperous new year to you ;
best wishes alan ;; astonian;;

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you live in the prefabs, riverboy ?
I was a paper kid at Westwoods, up the Maypole, in the 50s.
I might've delivered your "Mail" !
Yes I lived near the shops in winterbourne crescent, also delivered papers for westwoods, to the farms in druids lane the cottages and some prefabs this was around 1959-1962, also delivered around the maypole area highters heath lane etc, grand days.
also helped blacksmith in his forge at maypole, also went to bells lane school.

I went to a stag-night at The Cartland Arms about 35 years ago. It was rough even in those days, and quite a few of us only stayed for an hour, as things were hotting up. I was always wary of these big 'estate' pubs, which to me always seemed much more dangerous than even places like Summer Lane. The smaller the pub, the less people you can get in, so maybe less cause for trouble.

We used to go to live music nights at The Red Lion in Kings Heath, but very pricey now.

G

I agree with you Big Gee, the only estate pup I frequented which I never saw trouble of any kind was the "Rowley Rag" Rowley Regis.
paul

Yes I lived near the shops in winterbourne crescent, also delivered papers for westwoods, to the farms in druids lane the cottages and some prefabs this was around 1959-1962, also delivered around the maypole area highters heath lane etc, grand days.
also helped blacksmith in his forge at maypole, also went to bells lane school.

Ah, I'm a bit older than you, I started at Westwoods in '54, (I had to pay the installments on my new bike !). You may have delivered "'round our end" then, I lived in Sladepool Farm Rd.
Im glad you mentioned the blacksmith's, one of my earliest memories is my mother letting me look inside while a horse was being shoed. I can still recall that burning smell.

On the subject of "fisticuffs" in your local, that's what it used to be. Two blokes, half **sd throwing wild swings at one another, next morning making up and sharing a drink together. Most "locals" were the same, nothing really violent just a slight falling out, more than likely between good friends. Nowdays you are likely to get yourself shot or stabbed.
jimbo

Ah, I'm a bit older than you, I started at Westwoods in '54, (I had to pay the installments on my new bike !). You may have delivered "'round our end" then, I lived in Sladepool Farm Rd.
Im glad you mentioned the blacksmith's, one of my earliest memories is my mother letting me look inside while a horse was being shoed. I can still recall that burning smell.
When I lived at The Maypole I called into the Smiths for a length of metal to make up a bracket.

Opening Ad.
Looks like 1937 written in pencil. Do we know the actual Date? My Nan was there serving the nobility. Nora Astley, she lived 53, Broadmeadow Lane. and often spoke of what a posh do it was, when she met Lord and Lady Cartland and Barbara.

The building is still there but is now a McDonalds. I have driven by many times but didn't realise it used to be the Cartland Arms
It was also called The Sporting Parson

Last edited:
The building is still there but is now a McDonalds. I have driven by many times but didn't realise it used to be the Cartland Arms
quite odd really but i went past the cartland today...i only recognised it because of the photo posted on this thread which i was reading yesterday

lyn

Back