• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Mary's Chapel Whittall Street

Thanks Lyn for your interest. The photo you show l think is the one viewed from the end of Sand Street looking over whittall street. It does seem odd that there are few other photos in existence .

Hi all, this church was deconsecreted and the land became Birmingham Councils. They sold it to the hospital who removed as many bodies as they could find. Most went into a mass grave at Witton Cemetery except those with preserved gravestones who got new graves. Body snatchers were rife in the area especially in the 1830's and the curatr of St Marys was found guilty of selling teeth from deceased. I hunted this information down in Birmingham Library as my 4th great grandfather was buried her in 1816. I hope it helpsScreenshot_20240228_221634_Ancestry.jpg

Re: st marys chapel loveday st

thanks phil..your first thoughts were my first thoughts...in the new year i will have to make some enquiries to try to establish just what happened to those buried at st marys...many thanks phil this info is most helpful

Hi Lyn, I have posted a reply at the bottom that I hope helps. It was a devil to trace down but I hope it helps.

Hi all, this church was deconsecreted and the land became Birmingham Councils. They sold it to the hospital who removed as many bodies as they could find. Most went into a mass grave at Witton Cemetery except those with preserved gravestones who got new graves. Body snatchers were rife in the area especially in the 1830's and the curatr of St Marys was found guilty of selling teeth from deceased. I hunted this information down in Birmingham Library as my 4th great grandfather was buried her in 1816. I hope it helpsView attachment 189501
thanks charles that is very useful information....cheers

lyn

Back