• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hobbies 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Titebond II for my woodworking, it is amazingly strong and does grip after a few minutes.

I use Titebond II for my woodworking, it is amazingly strong and does grip after a few minutes.
Thanks i will give it a go thanks mort, there are loads of different pva glues on the market its hard to tell which is best. (THEY ALL SAY THEY ARE THE BEST):grinning:

Thanks i will give it a go thanks mort, there are loads of different pva glues on the market its hard to tell which is best. (THEY ALL SAY THEY ARE THE BEST):grinning:
Shame you are not local to Birmingham, I could give you some to try.

Many years ago when I lost my Wife I lost interest in painting so I tried my hand at wooden model making kits have attached 2 examples. Have completed about 2 dozen before my interest in painting returned. Eric

Attachments

• Wells Fargo coach.JPG
    Wells Fargo coach.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 16
  • INDEPE~7.JPG
    INDEPE~7.JPG
    484.3 KB · Views: 16
As for analogue controllers i make my own then i know me and my models are safe , simples
iu

Last edited:
Just to keep you modellers up to date once the matchstick caravan is finished , plus the train set is operational . I have another two matchstick kits to assemble one being a windmill the other is the Houses of Parliament . A note to Eric I started building a boat in 2017 it's just over a foot long , I'm doing it what you might call ad lib . I think of something then I whittle it out and add it to the carcass. So plenty of matchsticks and glue and plenty to do . So if I'm not on tomorrow I'll see you hare in 2030 ha ha

Maybe this will give all you modelmakers some ideas:

The CAN COLLECTOR
This man used to go to all the public functions, especially the picture theaters...and he always carried a sugar bag to collect empty bottles and cans.
His name was Albert (Tapper) Torney. Everyone thought he was a bit eccentric and kids would tease and hassle him. Then it was discovered that he sold the empty bottles but only some of the cans.

After he died in 1998 (aged 86) his large collection of model cars made from aluminum cans was discovered.
This goes to prove..."you shouldn't judge a book by its cover" - or a sculptor by his sugar bag.

Some of his AMAZING! collection ——

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

Dull and cloudy today so played with Windows 11 on my laptop .. :)
If you're buying a new Windows computer it will probably have Windows 11 installed and after clearing the usual bloatware it can look like this ... after some tweaking ...
1_Screenshot (732).jpg
Any photo as screen background - a few shortcut icons on screen - a taskbar at the bottom for your most used apps

Press the Windows key and the Start Menu appears
2_Screenshot (739).jpg
1) Shortcuts still visible
2) Apps and other things pinned to the Start .. it can be scrolled
3) Power buttons
4) Windows Defender ... defending

5) All apps button brings up alphabetical list and any item can be pinned to Start with right click
3_Screenshot (734).jpg

A right-click on the taskbar Window icon brings up this tech menu
4_Screenshot (735).jpg

Click the Search icon and a neat search screen appears
6_Screenshot (737).jpg

The Settings screens are neater than on Windows 10
5_Screenshot (736).jpg

I use a Xiegu G90 in the shed. 1 - 20w, SDR, perfect for digital, happy running off a 7Ah gel battery so ideal for portable use and its ATU could tune a damp lettuce leaf, its excellent.

I had hoped to have a full attic conversion done before xmas but that won't happen till next year when I'll have a 'real' shack again but (don't tell the wife) I'm a born again schoolboy in me shed with a few stoves and lanterns and that little G90. I'd been off air since we moved here in 2015 and got the G90 when we went into lockdown and I needed something to occupy the old grey matter, I'd been fettling stoves and lamps in the shed so got the G90, put up a vertical to start me off and I was back on the air. Its done me good, I'd never used FT8 etc before, I'd always been a 90% CW ham but I'm enjoying digital and enjoy seeing just how far my few watts bounce. Yesterday I got reports back from Brazil and Japan and a ham on the Falklands showed as receiving me and all that on 15W :)

You can get a linear 100w for it but its well over priced IMO and I've got a bigger lump in a box I'll use when the attic is finally done ;) 73 and good DX om

This is a photo taken this morning of local East Suffolk malthouse owned by Patrick Stead in 1842. Was he just boasting that he owned the building or does ‘Freehold Malthouse’ have some significance regarding how the business operated? He obviously went to a lot of expense to have these wall supports made as there are several of them on the building.

Attachments

• F62CD9C9-31EE-49A3-8509-F873F281A06B.jpeg
    F62CD9C9-31EE-49A3-8509-F873F281A06B.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 11
I use a Xiegu G90 in the shed. 1 - 20w, SDR, perfect for digital, happy running off a 7Ah gel battery so ideal for portable use and its ATU could tune a damp lettuce leaf, its excellent.

I had hoped to have a full attic conversion done before xmas but that won't happen till next year when I'll have a 'real' shack again but (don't tell the wife) I'm a born again schoolboy in me shed with a few stoves and lanterns and that little G90. I'd been off air since we moved here in 2015 and got the G90 when we went into lockdown and I needed something to occupy the old grey matter, I'd been fettling stoves and lamps in the shed so got the G90, put up a vertical to start me off and I was back on the air. Its done me good, I'd never used FT8 etc before, I'd always been a 90% CW ham but I'm enjoying digital and enjoy seeing just how far my few watts bounce. Yesterday I got reports back from Brazil and Japan and a ham on the Falklands showed as receiving me and all that on 15W :)

You can get a linear 100w for it but its well over priced IMO and I've got a bigger lump in a box I'll use when the attic is finally done ;) 73 and good DX om
thanks for reply i use a 570dge and a ft890.but here in the sticks vhf uhf is a no go. i have spoke to the iss when it come over.
hf is ok i loaded the the electric fence. and the barbed wire fence. lol got 5/9s. i have not used the radio for yonks i have a few baefung that we use on the range,they are brill for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back