• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

White Swan - Birchall Street, Deritend

Glad to hear it. I was a bit sad to see it was closed when I went past it about 2 years ago. He runs "our" Bull now as well doesn't be

this is great news....i think that in certain areas developers and investors are at last realising that there still is a need for the great british pub...shame we have lost so many but its refreshing to know that at least some are now being saved

lyn

Glad to hear it. I was a bit sad to see it was closed when I went past it about 2 years ago. He runs "our" Bull now as well doesn't be

Yes Mike. I do not know the full story of Nigel Barker but he has been involved in Birmingham pubs for decades. He was manager of the Barton's Arms many moons ago. He then kept pubs in the Bloxwich area before spearheading a real ale revival in the city centre by running The Wellington on Bennett's Hill. This became famous for stocking several thousands different guest ales. He then took on the Post Office Vaults. He has formed partnerships in his involvement with The Woodman next to Curzon Street Station and, as you mention, The Bull in the Gun Quarter. He has also published real ale magazines within Brum and has been a leading light with Bham CAMRA.

Some nice bar partitions there, presumably they’re original as is the bar itself. But I’m guessing the partitions wouldn’t have originally been glazed ? But could be wrong. Viv.

Back