• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ellen Street In Hockley

Pat's shop
The photo 105293 was not taken in 1968, at that time i was still living just up the road in Coralie St.
The building I'm almost sure it was a (off licence) which then was different to an (outdoor) then pubs had (ourdoor's) and in the area it had number off licences.

The other photo 10592 could have been taken then (1968), if you look at cars in car park in other photo it was built on if I remember correctly by the Mint.

If you think I've got this wrong please come back to me.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.

The photo 105293 was not taken in 1968, at that time i was still living just up the road in Coralie St.
The building I'm almost sure it was a (off licence) which then was different to an (outdoor) then pubs had (ourdoor's) and in the area it had number off licences.

The other photo 10592 could have been taken then (1968), if you look at cars in car park in other photo it was built on if I remember correctly by the Mint.

If you think I've got this wrong please come back to me.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.
Hi, I've looked at photographs of Pat's shop on this site and they match this building. It was on the corner of Ellen Street and Hingeston Street

Hi, I've looked at photographs of Pat's shop on this site and they match this building. It was on the corner of Ellen Street and Hingeston Street
Sorry jollyjack, its on the corner of Ellen St and Prescott St, if you went up the hill you would come too Hingeston St where the 96 bus ran (now 101).
If you went along Ellen St you would also reach Hingeston St.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.

Hi Nick, still not sure, I'll have another look.
Jollyjack, i have an old A-Z in my hand.
if you travel from All Saint's Rd down Hingeston St you will cross George St west on your left and right Presscott at this junction goes down the Ellen St to your left on right Presscott goes up to Coralie St (where i lived) going down Hingeston St the next on the left and right is Ellen St the next crossing is Icknield St the Mint would be on your left.

Hope this helps.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️

Last edited:
Jollyjack, i have an old A-Z in my hand.
if you travel from All Saint's Rd down Hingeston St you will cross George St west on your left and right Presscott at this junction goes down the Ellen St to your left on right Presscott goes up to Coralie St (where i lived) going down Hingeston St the next on the left and right is Ellen St the next crossing is Icknield St the Mint would be on your left.

Hope this helps.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️
Hi Nick, thanks for that. My Grandparents lived at 1/78 Ellen Street I visited them many times and remember it very well. As you passed Ellen St on the right as you travelled down Hingeston St travelling toward Icknield St there was a shop on each corner. The first was I think Pat's shop as shown on the site. The one opposite sold greengrocery. Pat's shop has a wider wall above the door than the one we were discussing. I think that may have been an outdoor due to the wooden frame fitted to it, similar to the one on The Mint. I have another book, arriving today hopefully, that contains old street maps etc. I have a Wakelins guide but that doesn't tell you much except where streets started and ran to.
Regards Jack.

Hi Nick, thanks for that. My Grandparents lived at 1/78 Ellen Street I visited them many times and remember it very well. As you passed Ellen St on the right as you travelled down Hingeston St travelling toward Icknield St there was a shop on each corner. The first was I think Pat's shop as shown on the site. The one opposite sold greengrocery. Pat's shop has a wider wall above the door than the one we were discussing. I think that may have been an outdoor due to the wooden frame fitted to it, similar to the one on The Mint. I have another book, arriving today hopefully, that contains old street maps etc. I have a Wakelins guide but that doesn't tell you much except where streets started and ran to.
Regards Jack.
Jollyjack, we are looking at history and at times its difficult to put building into place. Using old maps helps, the way I described going from All Sants Rd - Ellen St. Puts the streets into place.
I was at Brookfields (Ellen) St School from 1957-1963, and played with then my school mates who I'm unable name some fifty-eight later.
Were your grandparents at the school?
I understand if you are unsure but would you be willing to use their surname? It possible that we may have been in that playground together. I never knew a Jollyjack!

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.

Hi Nick, I'm not sure that they did, they were born in 1890 and where the attended school is a mystery. Their name was Keen. Grandad used to drink in the Gate at the time I visited them. He did use the Vine and the Grotto and others in his time but the Gate was where I sat on the fire escape with my pop and crisps. Jollyjack is my nickname from my time in the Royal Navy, though Brum was the usual way I was addressed .

Hi Nick, I'm not sure that they did, they were born in 1890 and where the attended school is a mystery. Their name was Keen. Grandad used to drink in the Gate at the time I visited them. He did use the Vine and the Grotto and others in his time but the Gate was where I sat on the fire escape with my pop and crisps. Jollyjack is my nickname from my time in the Royal Navy, though Brum was the usual way I was addressed .
Jollyjack, I can't remember a pub callled "Gate" but in the area were a lot of pubs, Bull Ickneld St, Rose & Crown Hingeston St, Prince George Crabtree Rd / Presscott st, Mona Stores Prescott St, The Laurels Prescott St, The Mint Ickneld St. The area had a lot of pubs.

If you look up Prescott St you will find a lot of photos one of them may be Pats shop a numbers of photos look up and down Prescott St.

The name "Keen" I remember but was it junior or senior school i cant remember the next time i speak to my brother i shall ask if he remembers the name.

Nick ‍♂️.

Hi Nick, the Gate was on Icknield Street. If you turned right out of Hingeston Street it was up the road on the right, on the corner of Alfred's Place. It was a large gothic building with a turret on the corner of the building. It was built in 1888 and ceased trading in 1970 according to the history. Alfred's Place ran down the side of it. There was a shop on the other corner that sold furniture I think. Jack.

Hi Nick, the Gate was on Icknield Street. If you turned right out of Hingeston Street it was up the road on the right, on the corner of Alfred's Place. It was a large gothic building with a turret on the corner of the building. It was built in 1888 and ceased trading in 1970 according to the history. Alfred's Place ran down the side of it. There was a shop on the other corner that sold furniture I think. Jack.

Attachments

• 2FE9C2A2-A4AB-49B1-9BB9-025EC2FE930B.jpeg
    2FE9C2A2-A4AB-49B1-9BB9-025EC2FE930B.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 10
Hi Jack, many thanks for photo. Back in 1968 I would have be an 16 year old which would have been much different to 16 year old of today. My father would purchase the odd bottle of Cider which a bottle would last me all week. For Christmas he would give me a gallon bottle which had to last into the new year.
I with my mates would ride around the area on our motorbike's going no where.
So we would pass pubs with never a thought of going inside one. My parents didn't drink in area either they went out on Sundays for a drive in countryside and would stop for a drink on way home, the law then if can you "walk on a white line you were sober".

Nick S Phillips
A Hockley lad
I asked my brother if he remembered the name "Keen" like my self remembered the name but not sure where.
I hope I'm correct then we used first names rather then surnames. We are unlikely to remember your Grand dad due to age, but is it possible that if you gave us your dads first name it may jog the memory cells?

Hi Jack, many thanks for photo. Back in 1968 I would have be an 16 year old which would have been much different to 16 year old of today. My father would purchase the odd bottle of Cider which a bottle would last me all week. For Christmas he would give me a gallon bottle which had to last into the new year.
I with my mates would ride around the area on our motorbike's going no where.
So we would pass pubs with never a thought of going inside one. My parents didn't drink in area either they went out on Sundays for a drive in countryside and would stop for a drink on way home, the law then if can you "walk on a white line you were sober".

Nick S Phillips
A Hockley lad
I asked my brother if he remembered the name "Keen" like my self remembered the name but not sure where.
I hope I'm correct then we used first names rather then surnames. We are unlikely to remember your Grand dad due to age, but is it possible that if you gave us your dads first name it may jog the memory cells?
Hi Nick, my Dad's name was Henry, he was known as Harry, his brother was Ben.

Regards Jack.

Back