• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

1921 Census.

carolina

master brummie
Find My Past have announced the release date of the 1921 census - 6th January 2022. As suspected there will be a cost, £2.50 for each record transcript and £3.50 for each record image. The cost covers the cost involved transcribing the images and 12 month pro subscribers will receive a 10% discount on all 1921 census purchases. Ancestry I presume will follow later in the year

Thanks Carolina.
I think the vouchers were £5 each from the Library (The previous one) but not certain!
rosie.

I am not emtirely sure what this means but there is a suggestion that:

Anyone will be able to view the images of the 1921 census for free online at The National Archives but original census documents will not be available in the reading rooms and there are no plans to produce microfiche.

At the moment quite a number of things are free to download (as access at Kew is limited) - I wonder if that will go when the census is released?

Is that expensive? I can't remember what they did for the 1911 census.
I cant remember as I use Ancestry but the system did crash due to everyone trying to log in on the day. They have digitalised and transcribed 18,235,242 images.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I am not emtirely sure what this means but there is a suggestion that:

Anyone will be able to view the images of the 1921 census for free online at The National Archives but original census documents will not be available in the reading rooms and there are no plans to produce microfiche.

At the moment quite a number of things are free to download (as access at Kew is limited) - I wonder if that will go when the census is released?
I would assume this to means that you can view it for free on a computer screen (if they are not all occupied ) if you travel to the National Archives. I think you can do that for free there for all the censuses.

I would assume this to means that you can view it for free on a computer screen (if they are not all occupied ) if you travel to the National Archives. I think you can do that for free there for all the censuses.
I think it means on your computer at home (from "online") but you will not be able to handle the original documents at Kew.

I think it means on your computer at home (from "online") but you will not be able to handle the original documents at Kew.

My understanding is that you'll have to pay to access digital images of the census returns unless you are prepared to travel to Kew where they may be viewed for free.

I enjoyed roaming through the 1911 census during lockdown online via my local library's Ancestry account. No longer available from home unfortunately!

It seems on the face of it that you'll need a subscription to Find My Past and be prepared to pay again for each individual image you want to view.

Do we have any idea when Ancestry will get 21 census. I cant remember how long we had to wait for the 1911 one

I would think some months at least (6?) but not sure you'll find out until it nearly happens. Info here...

If people know they only have to wait a few more months on other sites it might restrict FMP hope of attracting new customers.

From TNA Website -
Anyone will be able to view the Census free of charge in digital format on site at The National Archives upon release on 6 January 2022. You will only be able to view digital copies of the records, not the originals.

Searching is free on Findmypast, but viewing will incur a pay-per-view cost (for the reasons they describe in their FAQs). But you don’t need to be a subscriber to Findmypast.

From FMP website -
This exclusivity will last for up to three years. During that time, Findmypast will be the only place online to search the 1921 Census.

When you think about how long it has taken to digitise and the number people involved, should anyone with a modicum of business nous be surprised ?

From TNA Website -
Anyone will be able to view the Census free of charge in digital format on site at The National Archives upon release on 6 January 2022. You will only be able to view digital copies of the records, not the originals.

Searching is free on Findmypast, but viewing will incur a pay-per-view cost (for the reasons they describe in their FAQs). But you don’t need to be a subscriber to Findmypast.

From FMP website -
This exclusivity will last for up to three years. During that time, Findmypast will be the only place online to search the 1921 Census.

When you think about how long it has taken to digitise and the number people involved, should anyone with a modicum of business nous be surprised ?
In the UK not surprised at all, but in other countries searching is free for their censuses

So does that mean subscriber's pay £2.25 or £3.15 per census item? if we don't subscribe we can still access but pay £2.50 or £3.50.

So does that mean subscriber's pay £2.25 or £3.15 per census item? if we don't subscribe we can still access but pay £2.50 or £3.50.

Just read the "How much will the census cost?" again and it says 12 month Pro-subscribers will get a 10% discount, which to me implies that you will probably have to subscribe (a lower package) to get access at full price. Not sure.

Will amend my previous post.

I don't think it makes it very clear so we will have to see.
FMP do operate a pay to view. I don't subscribe but bought something from them a couple of weeks ago for £2.50.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
One month today until the release - I wonder if findmypast will crash as most sites seem to on such occasions.

I've been trying to think of any big mysteries it's release might solve for me and I can't really find any. Maybe something totally unexpected will be revealed. There are a couple on trees I've done for other people, birthplaces mainly which hopefully will help to to track them and their parents down.

Less than a week until it's release and I'm surprised that I haven't seen more adverts about it. You would have thought that this is findmypast's biggest opportunity to get new subscribers.

Also surprised I haven't seen more adverts/offers from Ancestry trying to pre-empt the launch.

Sorry, for Ancestry I meant advertising offers for what they have got so people sign up for them before they realise that the 1921 is only on findmypast.

The curse of spellchecker, or as someone on another forum calls it spellcarrot
Happy and healthy New Year to you all.

I am looking forward to release of the 1921 Census on 'Find My Past' on 6th January to start to answer some family history questions.

Between Christmas and New Year I have noticed a limited number of Adverts by 'Find My Past' for launch of the 1921 Census.

Back