• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hobbies 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is one of the first paintings I completed, in Northern Nigeria while serving in the RAF in 1950, it was our living quarters at Enugu, I bought it home with me and framed it for my Nan who liked it Rather amateurish now but did not seem so at the time

Attachments

• giddah, Enugu Nigeria.JPG
    giddah, Enugu Nigeria.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
Old stoves and lanterns I was a very keen collector but sold off most now because I'm getting older and the kids are not interested in them. I've kept a few and make brew in the man cave/radio shack most nights.

LKwN4hJ.jpg

Old stoves and lanterns I was a very keen collector but sold off most now because I'm getting older and the kids are not interested in them. I've kept a few and make brew in the man cave/radio shack most nights.

LKwN4hJ.jpg
That looks like the perfect brew up set up. I love stuff like this too. What make it the lamp and stove?

Saw a lovely one a huge one recently at the Coast Guard pub at St Margarets at Cliff, near Folkestone. Not sure what it was made of but it looked like a ship's funnel.

Good morning , I had watched and seen experts do it, I had mentioned briefly I'd like a go at that , lo and behold for my last birthday my wife bought me a Pyrography iron electric of course now I can do my own designs on wood . If anything comes up to the mark I'll put it on BHF. Pyrography is the art of burning designs onto wood

My hobby is BIKES I love old English racing bikes like I rode and raced in the 1940s 1950s this 1953 Rotrax is just that in 2015 when I was 81 going on 82 in June I rode 82 very hard miles on it at Eroica California Paso Robles California USA The bike did a lot better than me.

Attachments

• 186472673_4443865595641260_8378386205641653265_n.jpg
    186472673_4443865595641260_8378386205641653265_n.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 10
My hobby is BIKES I love old English racing bikes like I rode and raced in the 1940s 1950s this 1953 Rotrax is just that in 2015 when I was 81 going on 82 in June I rode 82 very hard miles on it at Eroica California Paso Robles California USA The bike did a lot better than me.
oldbrit, looks great, lamp bracket and all!

Hi oldbrit

I'm very proud of the fact that my late uncle, Tom Dilkes (RIP) won the Scarborough road race back in the 1930s. I still have an Imperial Petrel cycle built, I believe, in Sparkbrook in the 30s and owned by him. Very light frame; so light, in fact that the tubes were very easily dented. I have ridden it comparatively recently with a fixed wheel which I fitted back in about 1963 when still at school. I lent it to one or two school friends and they rode it without much experience of a fixed wheel and found the experience "interesting".

Bizarrely, my mother used to use it for CTC Southern Family section runs back in about 1952-3, but she could never get the hang of the Sturmey Archer 3-speed gear with which it was then fitted! You can imagine how she got on with driving lessons!

Terry D

That looks like the perfect brew up set up. I love stuff like this too. What make it the lamp and stove?
The lantern is an ex army Bialaddin paraffin pressure lamp and the stove is an Optimus No99. The lantern is date stamped 1954, Optimus did not date stamp (unlike Primus) but I'd guess mine is late 60s - early 70s

This stove (Veritas brand - Falk, Stadelmann & Co Ltd) was made in brum this one from the late 40s

1633913606446.jpeg

Hi oldbrit

I'm very proud of the fact that my late uncle, Tom Dilkes (RIP) won the Scarborough road race back in the 1930s. I still have an Imperial Petrel cycle built, I believe, in Sparkbrook in the 30s and owned by him. Very light frame; so light, in fact that the tubes were very easily dented. I have ridden it comparatively recently with a fixed wheel which I fitted back in about 1963 when still at school. I lent it to one or two school friends and they rode it without much experience of a fixed wheel and found the experience "interesting".

Bizarrely, my mother used to use it for CTC Southern Family section runs back in about 1952-3, but she could never get the hang of the Sturmey Archer 3-speed gear with which it was then fitted! You can imagine how she got on with driving lessons!

Terry D
From 1946 on all I rode for years. was a single fixed, I think that has helped my riding for the 75 years, and over half a million miles that I have ridden now, at age 88 I can still ride most days 5 miles with no problem. Photo is me and my racing bike a Billy Gameson bike built-in Small heath. Does your Petrel have the jug handle?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 12
looking forward to that thanks. i still have a load of triang/hornby. and later hornby locos:grinning:
As a railway nut, I bought a lot of Hornby's recent offerings over the years; the best ones have been the Britannias, A3s and the big Stanier & Fowler tank engines. The most disappointing have been the Duchesses and Royal Scots, the very ones I wanted to be the best! Poor traction and motor gears coming out of mesh.

Mind you, none of them compare to the many old Hornby Dublo locos (which I have scale-wheeled). These are the most robust, reliable and powerful by far, especially considering they are all about 60+ years old!

As a railway nut, I bought a lot of Hornby's recent offerings over the years; the best ones have been the Britannias, A3s and the big Stanier & Fowler tank engines. The most disappointing have been the Duchesses and Royal Scots, the very ones I wanted to be the best! Poor traction and motor gears coming out of mesh.

Mind you, none of them compare to the many old Hornby Dublo locos (which I have scale-wheeled). These are the most robust, reliable and powerful by far, especially considering they are all about 60+ years old!
yer i have just got a few dublo rolling stock and lots of triang locos they are lot stronger. these hornby are not very strong now..the latest i got is the class 37 networkrail :(.triang pannier tanks and f3 jinty's run for ever :grinning: with the xo3/xo4 motors and the wheels resized for the new tracks.

oldbrit, looks great, lamp bracket and all!
I was trying to reply to the bicycle section but it won't let me. Just to say nearly all my dad's family were all in the bicycle trade in Coventry at one time or another.. His dad was a cycle frame builder. His grandma was a saddle stitcher, one of his grandfather's was a boat builder. Such crafts people we had then.

From 1946 on all I rode for years. was a single fixed, I think that has helped my riding for the 75 years, and over half a million miles that I have ridden now, at age 88 I can still ride most days 5 miles with no problem. Photo is me and my racing bike a Billy Gameson bike built-in Small heath. Does your Petrel have the jug handle?
That's a helluva record; wish I could claim to have done anything like that!

Your reference to "jug handle" defeats me. Can you give me a clue what it means?

That's a helluva record; wish I could claim to have done anything like that!

Your reference to "jug handle" defeats me. Can you give me a clue what it means?
"Joe Cooke was the sole frame builder and produced about four to five frames each week. Some were built to the normal triangular format whereas he also produced a model known as the ‘Superigid’ which had almost semi-circular stiffening tubes between the head and down tubes and also between the seat and chain stays. This became known amongst cyclists as the ‘Jug Handle’, which was not a name recognised by Joe himself."

Scroll down to see the Jug Handles

"Joe Cooke was the sole frame builder and produced about four to five frames each week. Some were built to the normal triangular format whereas he also produced a model known as the ‘Superigid’ which had almost semi-circular stiffening tubes between the head and down tubes and also between the seat and chain stays. This became known amongst cyclists as the ‘Jug Handle’, which was not a name recognised by Joe himself."

Thanks for that information. My machine is obviously one of the "normal" models. I was a tad disappointed to find (way back then) that I had to stick to 26" wheels because 27" wheels would not fit. It's clear that mine has the original front wheel, whereas the rear wheel was replaced (sometime in the early 50s) with one with integral Sturmey archer 3 speed gears. However, I replaced that wheel with a newer one (in about 1962) with a single fixed wheel. I have an idea (trying to think back!) that I might have toyed with the possibility of fitting Deraillieur gears, but found there was insufficient clearance between the rear forks to fit a multi sprocket gear set, so I reverted to the "masochistic/hair shirt" approach of a single fixed gear. Not sure who I was trying to impress!

Glad to see the reference to Joe Cooke; his name is on the badge on the front of the "headset". Is that the right term?

Thanks for that information. My machine is obviously one of the "normal" models. I was a tad disappointed to find (way back then) that I had to stick to 26" wheels because 27" wheels would not fit. It's clear that mine has the original front wheel, whereas the rear wheel was replaced (sometime in the early 50s) with one with integral Sturmey archer 3 speed gears. However, I replaced that wheel with a newer one (in about 1962) with a single fixed wheel. I have an idea (trying to think back!) that I might have toyed with the possibility of fitting Deraillieur gears, but found there was insufficient clearance between the rear forks to fit a multi sprocket gear set, so I reverted to the "masochistic/hair shirt" approach of a single fixed gear. Not sure who I was trying to impress!

Glad to see the reference to Joe Cooke; his name is on the badge on the front of the "headset". Is that the right term?
All of this brings me to a serious exercise in nostalgia. I lived in Birmingham until late 1954, when we moved with my father's work to Kidderminster. Up till then we had been regular members of the CTC Southern Section (Family), but my parent's interest in cycling waned. Nevertheless we continued to keep in touch with old friends and whenever there was an event "out west" we would be called upon to do some marshalling for them.

I have several happy memories of various events, but one sticks in my memory. There is a village in Shropshire called Farlow, and it is approached from the north by a very steep hill with a bend in the middle. I think 1 in 3 or even steeper! My father was called upon to judge the climbing talents of various competitors and we thought we had seen some epic climbs, until a chap climbed this hill on a fixed wheel machine and didn't even get out of the saddle! Dad just said to him "If I could give you 15 out of 10 for that, I would!" I can only marvel at his muscular strength and think that he must have been making full use of his toe-clips.

RobT, some pretty interesting designs there. Some quite refined and others a little crude but very interesting!

"A new TV series will be going behind the scenes at Hornby.

The 10-part series will air on Monday nights at 9pm on Yesterday, from October 11 and all episodes will be available for catch-up on UKTV Play.

Hornby opens it doors to show the lengths its team of designers and engineers go to in scaling down locomotives, cars, aircraft and more to produce replica models as near perfect as possible."

Watched the first episode of the Hornby programme and found it very interesting. It followed the design of a die cast metal, limited edition (500,) of the General Steam Navigation (35011), a locomotive of the Merchant Navy class.

Also the restoration of that locomotive at Blunsdon in Wiltshire.

In the second episode the programme follows the design of the Bristol Fighter biplane from WWI. Also a model of Bexhill in the winter of 1940.

I’ve been sailing racing dinghies since 1960, and I still am not Ben Ainslee, or even Uffa Fox. Have I been wasting my time?
John, no h no!

I have been a sailor since 1969. Took lessons from a fellow that sailed the Bermuda Race, Transpac and Atlantic. He was a great instructor (tough I thought) but learned so much. I called him Captain Bligh! My boats have been Sunfish, Celebrity, O'day 16 (an Uffa Fox design) and Hobie 16. looking know for a Rhodes 19. Every time I go out which is not enough I learn what I did not know. What I did learn well was how to manage heavy & light weather, which keeps me safe and gets me back.

I was presented with a Hornby Mallard Pullman set Christmas 2019 , My plywood for the base was delivered a month ago , I've had a model on the go, in a stop start fashion over a year which is coming to an end shortly . Then it will be to assemble the base and start the scratch building . Terry and Pete do either of you scratch build ?

I have been a sailor since 1969. Took lessons from a fellow that sailed the Bermuda Race, Transpac and Atlantic. He was a great instructor (tough I thought) but learned so much. I called him Captain Bligh! My boats have been Sunfish, Celebrity, O'day 16 (an Uffa Fox design) and Hobie 16. looking know for a Rhodes 19. Every time I go out which is not enough I learn what I did not know. What I did learn well was how to manage heavy & light weather, which keeps me safe and gets me back.
was or are you a member of the RYA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back