• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Philip Reeves

Maid

Philip Reeves born Birmingham 1823, father Philip Reeves mother Sarah Eames married in St.Martins Birmingham 1/2/1814. Philip Reeves snr. was born in Egham 1787. Philip the son was sent to Australia as a convict exile, he was there until 1862, did he return to the Uk after his sentence was served? His sister Elizabeth married a John Cutter. Do you know of this family? Regards Maid

Tricky. There are a couple of deaths in England registered later in the century that have ages at death in the right time frame but it doesn't appear either of them are him.

Is that him who married Sarah Ames in 1845? What happened to her?

Hi Maid, I am interested in your story. I am descended from a William Ames and Sarah Standley who are my Great Great Grandparents, I believe the Sarah Ames that married Philip Reeves is the sister of William Ames. I have some Ancestry DNA matches that confirms this but I am struggling to find the name of her mother other than it is a Mary married to another William Ames. Wondered if you could share any light on this?

Hi Maid, I am interested in your story. I am descended from a William Ames and Sarah Standley who are my Great Great Grandparents, I believe the Sarah Ames that married Philip Reeves is the sister of William Ames. I have some Ancestry DNA matches that confirms this but I am struggling to find the name of her mother other than it is a Mary married to another William Ames. Wondered if you could share any light on this?
Hi Mike, sorry I cannot help. Sarah Ames m. Philip Reeves in 1845. He was arrested at her father's house according to the Old Bailey trial records, 1847, unfortunately I did not make a record of this or the father's name. It was in Wolverhampton. Philip was sentenced to 15 yrs. and transportation for stealing from a lodging house. with his brother George Smith. A witness stated that the wife seemed a good deal older than Phillip. My direct relative is George Smith aka William Reeves. The latter was given a conditional pardon, while Philip served his time. I have a record of him as a timber cutter in 1862 making a fair sum during this time. I did wonder if he returned to the Uk, but 15 years away would be a long time especially in those days. Best of Luck with your research, Sincerely, Maid.

Philip Reeves married Sarah Ames , 14th August 1845, St Peter and St. Paul, Aston.both full age
his father given as Philip her father William.

Mike there are entries for 1841 census (note ages on 1841( often 'extremely approximate)

Bell Lane, Erdington,( enumeration notes in schedule make it somewhere in the Lichfield road, Gravelly hill area.)

William Ames b 1811, Brickmaker
Sarah b 1821.

Birches Green , (enumerators notes in schedule have it between wood End and Gravelly hill)

William Ames b 1782 Brickmaker
Mary b 1781

Last edited:
Philip Reeves married Sarah Ames , 14th August 1845, St Peter and St. Paul, Aston.both full age
his father given as Philip her father William.

Mike there are entries for 1841 census (note ages on 1841( often 'extremely approximate)

Bell Lane, Erdington,( enumeration notes in schedule make it somewhere in the Lichfield road, Gravelly hill area.)

William Ames b 1811, Brickmaker
Sarah b 1821.

Birches Green , (enumerators notes in schedule have it between wood End and Gravelly hill)

William Ames b 1782 Brickmaker
Mary b 1781
Hi Alberta

Thank you for your response and information.

The William Ames (b.1811) you mentioned is my great great grandfather married to Sarah Standley. As you pint out they lived in Bell lane which is now I believe Orphanage Road, Erdington.

You also include William Ames b.1782 and Mary B. 1781 believed to be the above’s parents. It is his mother, Mary that I am struggling to put a maiden name to. I was hoping MAID may shed some light on to it.

I also believe Gravelly lane was known as Brick Kiln lane where Sarah Ames nee Standley lived for a while and between there and Lichfield as the Brickworks where a number of Ames worked.
Hi Mike, sorry I cannot help. Sarah Ames m. Philip Reeves in 1845. He was arrested at her father's house according to the Old Bailey trial records, 1847, unfortunately I did not make a record of this or the father's name. It was in Wolverhampton. Philip was sentenced to 15 yrs. and transportation for stealing from a lodging house. with his brother George Smith. A witness stated that the wife seemed a good deal older than Phillip. My direct relative is George Smith aka William Reeves. The latter was given a conditional pardon, while Philip served his time. I have a record of him as a timber cutter in 1862 making a fair sum during this time. I did wonder if he returned to the Uk, but 15 years away would be a long time especially in those days. Best of Luck with your research, Sincerely, Maid.

Thank you so much for the information every bit if information is useful.

Mike

Hi MAID

I hope you find this interesting and perhaps will answer your question.

Thank you for the information. I looked up the court proceedings in the hope of an address and name (see attached) but in this document there is no mention of being arrested at his wife’s fathers house unless I am missing something (I often do).

You have prompted me to look at this a little bit more. I subscribe to a number of ancestry sites and have done a few DNA tests. With Ancestry the DNA comes up with shared matches (biologically related) many of whom have trees. A Joan Barry has a tree and is descended from a William aka George Reeves who married an Ann Maher though their son called George. I also have a Fiona Hardy (from Queensland Aus.) who is also descended from George R. A. Smith, though his daughter Sarah Jane Reeves.

Note the attached Grave stone and profile below taken from a DNA match tree:

William aka George Reeves
B:
13/8/1824 Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
D:23/3/1875 Stanthorpe, Queensland, Australia

There are a number of these DNA matches I have and it looks very much to me like we are related, probably a 5th cousin. I have attached an example screen shot of one of them, not all seems right with this though. The Sarah Ames married to Philip Reeves was born about 1812, hence 10 years older which tallies with the court proceedings.

Take a look and see what you think.
Mike

Attachments

• George Reeves Grave.pdf
    946.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Reeves_Court Procedings.pdf
    146 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot - Reeves.JPG
    Screen Shot - Reeves.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 5
Hi MAID

I hope you find this interesting and perhaps will answer your question.

Thank you for the information. I looked up the court proceedings in the hope of an address and name (see attached) but in this document there is no mention of being arrested at his wife’s fathers house unless I am missing something (I often do).

You have prompted me to look at this a little bit more. I subscribe to a number of ancestry sites and have done a few DNA tests. With Ancestry the DNA comes up with shared matches (biologically related) many of whom have trees. A Joan Barry has a tree and is descended from a William aka George Reeves who married an Ann Maher though their son called George. I also have a Fiona Hardy (from Queensland Aus.) who is also descended from George R. A. Smith, though his daughter Sarah Jane Reeves.

Note the attached Grave stone and profile below taken from a DNA match tree:

William aka George Reeves
B:
13/8/1824 Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
D:23/3/1875 Stanthorpe, Queensland, Australia

There are a number of these DNA matches I have and it looks very much to me like we are related, probably a 5th cousin. I have attached an example screen shot of one of them, not all seems right with this though. The Sarah Ames married to Philip Reeves was born about 1812, hence 10 years older which tallies with the court proceedings.

Take a look and see what you think.
Mike
Hi there, I found this in the British Newspaper archive, not the Old Bailey report "John Clever, Worchester Police force deposed to apprehending the prisoner Philip on the 9th instant at the house of a man called. Ames".
Maid

Back