• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham buses

Bus number 2533 was a Guy 'Arab' III Special with a Gardner 6LW 8.4 litre engine and a Metro-Cammell body. It was one of a hundred Guy 'Arab' III Special's operated by Birmingham Corporation Transport. It entered service in the period July 1950 to May 1951 and, from the photo, appears to have been withdrawn from service on the 28 October 1977. Four of the Guy 'Arab' III buses survived to operate on the last day of rear platform bus operation in Birmingham on the 31 October 1977.
(Information source: David Harvey's 'Birmingham Buses at Work Part 2, 1942-69', 2006.)

Crossley of 1950, JOJ 489 (2489) is going to Wythall. The owning group. after the death of David Harvey, reluctantly decided that this was the best course for the bus. David Harvey was well known for his books on BCT and Midland Red. He wrote on other matters besides transport.

Hi Roy,
I was doing some Trolleybus research recently (what else in 'lockdown) and came across the 'Mail' article you referred to. Hope this helps
I was surprised that no one pointed out that the photograph in the newspaper article on post #1,944 seemed to show the driver opening the door of a LHD bus! That's the newspapers for you. Here's a corrected version.

Attachments

• Doc1 copy.jpg
    Doc1 copy.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 28
For anyone interested a book is available from`Wythall which covers the Midland Red's works at Bearwood and Carlisle Works.

Price £5 + p&p

Just found these old pictures of the BMMO Carlyle Works. They are courtesy of STILLTIME. Thought bus fans might be interested to see them. Gerry
That is most interesting! A few years ago, 5 or 6 I was working with companies in Europe and the US that were building up Volvo chassis into single decker buses. While the automation was quite different (robots , welders etc) the subframe structures were quite similar.

Friend of mine worked there then Leyland Motors Oldbury. Not sure which one but when they arrived for work their own clothes were hoisted upto the roof until home time :)

I recall back in 1957, I was in Conductor Training upstairs at Midland RED Sheepcote Street, off Broad Street, and we all had to go on a visit to the works.

Simms Motor Units Limited | Science Museum Group Collection

Rare photo of Simms’s Motor Scout, June 1899. Source

A one and a half horsepower Simms’ Patent Automatic Petrol Motor with Simms magneto-electric ignition was fitted and the standard tank carried enough fuel for 120 miles. The Motor Scout was convertible to a two-seated quadricycle. The quadricycle was also available without the gun for non-military purposes as a two-seated vehicle for £120. Simms acquired some of the foreign patent rights to the petrol engine.

Attachments

• 1632293296436.png
    1632293296436.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • 1632293704353.png
    1632293704353.png
    526.4 KB · Views: 15

A one and a half horsepower Simms’ Patent Automatic Petrol Motor with Simms magneto-electric ignition was fitted and the standard tank carried enough fuel for 120 miles. The Motor Scout was convertible to a two-seated quadricycle. The quadricycle was also available without the gun for non-military purposes as a two-seated vehicle for £120. Simms acquired some of the foreign patent rights to the petrol engine.
I remember the Minimec injection pumps fitted on all our coaches. One day when out on test the rack broke at the end so putting the engine in to max revs and unable to stop. Luckily I was passenger at the time so managed to loosen one of the fuel lines and stop the engine. We made our way back to the garage with me controlling the rack after taking the cover off the side of the pump, exciting times.

I remember the Minimec injection pumps fitted on all our coaches. One day when out on test the rack broke at the end so putting the engine in to max revs and unable to stop. Luckily I was passenger at the time so managed to loosen one of the fuel lines and stop the engine. We made our way back to the garage with me controlling the rack after taking the cover off the side of the pump, exciting times.
safer than the ventury control pumps i saw a engine max rev no stopping it, till it blew apart when a ventury pipe rusted through, it ran on engine oil from the sump after the fuel line was cut.
iu

Just for a laugh. About 30 years ago I was working at a company when one of the young women in my department came back into the office having been on an errand through the factory and told us that a muscular young man had spoken to her saying "I hear your boyfriend is a bodybuilder", to which she replied "Yes he builds mini bus bodies at Carlyle Works".

Pete, thank you for that!
I did look them up and saw a tie to CAV. Based upon the attached are article and what I found mostly in the US (where I looked) that the Simms name and brand are alive and well in the reman market. I was surprised that there are two or three companies that remanufacture the Simms products for current sale.
The reman market is a very large market for heavy vehicle and diesel applications. Most manufacturers of diesel engines have an entire business dedicated to reman.

safer than the ventury control pumps i saw a engine max rev no stopping it, till it blew apart when a ventury pipe rusted through, it ran on engine oil from the sump after the fuel line was cut.
iu
Mechanical govenors saved our later Ford engined coaches from engine siezures as our Drivers had worked out that removing the air cleaner hose off the venturi increased the engine revs way above the governed speed. Only seen one engine runaway and that was in a workshop when a mechanic had somehow crossed the venturi pipes over, foreman came over and stuffed a lump of rag in the intake.

Busses

I Used To Go To Icknield Stret Hockley Brook On The Bus,s
Around On The No,8 From Aston Cross In Rocky Lane
We Was So Poor Mom Got A Load Of Plastic Tokens From The Education Dept , Some Was Grren And Some Was Red Ones
And They Was Thevalue Of 1 Penny Other Wise We Couldnt Get To School And Also Old Man Kitchener Wouldappearat The Front Door
Asking Why Ain,t We Are In School
Blimy They Was The Days
Diid Any Body Else Get These Tokens ,? .
Best Wishes Astonian ,;;

Mechanical govenors saved our later Ford engined coaches from engine siezures as our Drivers had worked out that removing the air cleaner hose off the venturi increased the engine revs way above the governed speed. Only seen one engine runaway and that was in a workshop when a mechanic had somehow crossed the venturi pipes over, foreman came over and stuffed a lump of rag in the intake.
Smart foreman!

I to miss Alan a lot Carolina, always so interesting, and his old knowledge of Brum from so many area's, he would always answer your questions to, he sent me an email not long before he passed, telling me he was ill, yes greatly missed by me at least, but I suspect quite a few others to.

Back