• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pinfold Road Yardley

N

Neville Philpott

Found Pinfold Road on the 1881 Birmingham census but it does not appear
on any of the current maps.

Would anyone on here be able to pinpoint where it used to be?

thank you
Neville..

Hi Neville,

If ever I come across a road on the cencus that I cannot find, I go to the 'View description of enumeration district', and that describes the roads covered by that district. In other words you will be able to see which roads Pinfold was close to and which part of Yardley it was located in. At that time Yardley was larger and covered places like Balsall Heath. So click on the original image, and at the top it will show Worcestershire Yardley and the District No. Click on Yardley and then go to 'view description of enumeration district' for the no. district you wish to view.

Hope this helps.

Ann

I've just looked at the 1883 Kelly's Directory and find no Pinfold Road listed, but there is an entry:
Pinfold Buildings, Yardley Road, Acocks Green.
The usual house-by-house listing is not given for the outer suburbs like Acocks Green, and there are only a residential list covering freeholders only, and a commercial list covering all businesses. Pinfold Buildings does not appear in either list.
The same applies to the 1904 directory, but by 1921, after Acocks and Yardley Green was absorbed into the City of Birmingham, There is a house-to-house list along Yardley Road. Unfortunately, there is no entry for Pinfold Buildings in that.
So there's no result for you, I'm afraid - at least I tried.
Peter

there is another thread running regards pinfold farm/house, my guess is the two are connected in some way, the pinfold farm/house is/was om mansfield road, near yardley cemetry

It looks as though Pinfold Road ran from the Coventry Road and on through
to Claremont Street, wherever that was.

On the 1881 census the road is shown as being near to two inns namely
New Inn and Sevan Inn both located on Coventry Road.

I wonder whether Pinfold Road was swept away under an early housing
development in the area. I see that there is also a Pinfold house in the
locality on Mansfield Road.

Could it be 'Swan Inn'? on an old 1890 map there is a New Inn and a Swan Inn on, what is now, the Coventry Rd. Pinfold House is/was in the area of the Yardley rd , by Yardley cemetry going towards Acocks Green. Could Yardley rd have been called Pinfold rd? There is a pinfold farm on this map too. The site is Old maps.co.uk https://www.old-maps.co.uk/IndexMapPage2.aspx I searched for Yardley

Swan Inn mis-transcribed at Sevan Inn, that seems logical to me and if i
recall New Inn was further along the Coventry Road.

Pinfold Road could have been the old name for Yardley Road i think,
i expect the name was changed when the farm itself was sold to
make way for new housing.

thank you everyone..

This is view of Waterloo Rd it was short distance from Yardley Cementery off Stockfield Rd and joined the Coventry Rd via Forest Rd by the old Hay Mills Police Station, some of the shops have been converted to houses now. Len.

Pinfold Rd is now Mansfield Rd. Pinfold House still stands at thel Yardley Rd end.
My great, great granndfathers sister married Mr Mansfield, who owned much of the land. After he died she moved into Pinfold House and renamed it Mansfield House. She built an off licence and Brewed ale in the attached buildings.
A pinfold was where stray livestock were taken and reclaimed, for a lfee, by the farmer.
My great great granddad Alfred was her farm bailiff until her son wasi old enough and lived in Waterloo farm on Waterloo Road. Virtually next door. His son, my Great Grandfather also called Alfred but known as Fred, took on Wash Mill farm, currently the site of Kestral Avenue.

Pinfold Rd is now Mansfield Rd. Pinfold House still stands at thel Yardley Rd end.
My great, great granndfathers sister married Mr Mansfield, who owned much of the land. After he died she moved into Pinfold House and renamed it Mansfield House. She built an off licence and Brewed ale in the attached buildings.
A pinfold was where stray livestock were taken and reclaimed, for a lfee, by the farmer.
My great great granddad Alfred was her farm bailiff until her son wasi old enough and lived in Waterloo farm on Waterloo Road. Virtually next door. His son, my Great Grandfather also called Alfred but known as Fred, took on Wash Mill farm, currently the site of Kestral Avenue.
Thanks for reviving this old thread. I regularly caught the No11 bus on the bridge near Pinfold House in early 1970's. and before that worked in Amington Rd and lived in Stockfield Rd so could visualize the area. I even recall a birthday party at a house in Kilmorie Rd as long ago as 1948! Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot (407).png
    Screenshot (407).png
    917.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back