• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Police Horses

Hi All,

My tale of the Annual Inspection at Tally Ho. I was a constable in Chief Office at the time so did not take part in the parade. It was before the new club was built and refreshments were being supplied to VIP guests in a large marquee. With others I was serving drinks and I asked the Chief HMI what he would like. He replied "I will have a pink gin". I frantically looked for a bottle of pink gin but could not find it and reported so to the Chief Constable (Sir Edward Dodd). He scornfully replied "It is gin. Just add the bitters" Again I looked mystified and Sir Edward said "The bitters man, Angastura bitters" He could see that I did not have a clue and said, "Leave it I will do it" After this I went back to serving beer to lesser mortals. I am sure that my promotion was delayed by at least 12 months over this incident. No one was more relieved than I when Sir Edward retired and was followed by a real man - Derek Capper.

Old Boy

This photograph of mounted police appeared in the City of Birmingham Handbook for 1937. I've no idea where it was taken but somebody might recognise the buildings. Dave.
P1020533 (2).jpg

Steve , are you sure these are B'Ham police mounted, take a good look at the badge on the front of the helmet. My Dad used to do the Handsworth flower show where they did allsorts of trick riding and circle of eight at the gallop, junping and picking things at the gallop off the ground. I did not believe this and asked mom and she said Dad did it as she had seen him do it. He was a very acomplished rider and used to train the horses if they had a quirk, some of the things they did he never stopped them from doing. One was one of the horses he was on in the summer way back in the 30ies when walking along Colmore Row, passing the trams at the stop. He used to stop at an open window and put his head in as someone was eating chips, this was amusing the public so he never cured him of the little bit of entertainment he gave to the passengers.

Dave

My friends husband who saddly died recently was a mounted policeman and his last horse went to a home for retired police horses where he would visit him. His wife still carries on with re- homing dogs and cats. A true animal caring family. Her daughter is married to a vet and has rescued chickens and has adopted one of these retired horses. Jean.

Hi Joe,
Could you have a look at the photo in Post 77 and give us your opinion. I think it was certainly the police inspection but more likely in the fifties. I think the chap in charge is the late, much respected, Chief Inspector Jim Reid. I am fairly sure that he retired before 1970. He lived to be over 100 years old and, in fact, was singing with the police male voice choir at the town hall when he was 100. His medals were all awarded for his service in WW1 when he served with the Royal Derbyshire Regt.
Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Hi Chris yes l think it is Jim Reid we were not using the white gauntlets when l served it was brown leather gloves.ln the first line up the chap on the right is Ken Fisher.C.I. Mc Kensie was in charge when l served..............regards Joe

Hi Chris yes l think it is Jim Reid we were not using the white gauntlets when l served it was brown leather gloves.ln the first line up the chap on the right is Ken Fisher.C.I. Mc Kensie was in charge when l served..............regards Joe
Thank you Joe - Chris Beresford

Hi Chris it has taken me sometime to remember the mounted man at the rear on the left is Ted Cooke who was made sergeant and Inspector on the Dept........................Joe

These are the complement of Duke Street way back in the 1920-30 era. My dad is fifth from the right.
Hi Eddie. That's a great pic of the mounted unit. I'm enquiring for a friend whose grandad was in the first mounted police unit in Birmingham and based at Duke Street station. He was born in Glasgow in the 1890s, so I'm guessing he would have been in brum by the 1920s and possibly one of the officers in that pic you posted. Do you happen to know the names of the other men in the picture? My friend's grandad was called Byron Cameron.

Roger, your friends grandad was not born in Scotland but died age 52 in Birmingham in 1941.
If he wants more details you will have to message me as I cannot contact you.
As this is off topic I shall delete it later. Alberta.

Isn't terrible when you look at your previous posts and see the silly spelling mistakes, post 84, I will have to go back to school.

Hi Eddie it;s just age or the letters are in the wrong place on the computer!!!!!...............Joe 90

I remember when the mounted contingent was based in Ladywood, may have been Ladywood Road, though uncertain now so many years later, I used to stand at the entrance and watch them training and sometimes they would bring them out into the street. I would estimate the date at around 58/9, but someone on the forum will know better. Paul

I remember when the mounted contingent was based in Ladywood, may have been Ladywood Road, though uncertain now so many years later, I used to stand at the entrance and watch them training and sometimes they would bring them out into the street. I would estimate the date at around 58/9, but someone on the forum will know better. Paul
I went to Five Ways school, during the time it was an annexe to George Dixon's in City Road. The stables adjoined the school grounds but closed around then (very early 60s, I think) and moved to the Tally Ho! training centre on Pershore Road near Edgbaston Road.

You were a great sight Joe, and a credit to your unit, I served in the Foot Guards as a lad, and always admired the mounted troops and Police, my old dad was an, officer in C Div, BCP, in 40's and early fifty's. Paul

Back