• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Crossroads programme

Sandor Eles, who played Paul Ross, turned up in an episode of Upstairs, Downstairs (Desirous of Change, 1973) a couple of days ago. He played an Austrian con man, and wasn't recognisable as he had long hair or more probably was wearing a wig.

Here are two of the favourite characters, Angus Lennie who played Shughie McFee and Carlos Rafael played by Anthony Morton. Angus Lennie was previously known from the war film classic 'The Great Escape' starring Steve McQueen.

My wife who appeared as an extra whilst working as a dancer at the Alexandra theatre knew him quite well, he attended a wedding by one of the pantomimes dancers.
GD767619.png

Last edited:
Hell AlanD2 Welcome to the forum , I think Newcomers was from Gosta Green studios . The reason I say that is one night walking past Lee Longlands on Broad St , George Woodbridge actor was waiting for the bus at Lee Longlands . I used to live in William St around the corner , I recognised Mr Woodbridge because of his appearances in Stryker of The Yard with Clifford Evans
Percy Thrower ‘s gardening show was filmed at Gosta Green in the early 60’s . I went to one of the recordings

Last edited:
The cast of “Nolly”. There will also be actors cast as producers of the programme. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall when they had the big discussion about removing Noele from the series.

“Augustus Prew joins the cast as Tony Adams, Nolly’s Crossroads co-star, devoted friend, confidante, and occasional chauffeur. Emmy and BAFTA-winner Mark Gatiss joins as inimitable entertainer Larry Grayson, who also shared a close and enduring friendship with Gordon.

Richard Lintern is Ronnie Allen, who played Crossroads’ suave hotel manager David Hunter. Antonia Bernath is Jane Rossington, who starred in Crossroads as Jill Richardson, Meg’s daughter. Clare Foster is Sue Lloyd, who played Barbara, wife of hotel manager David. Chloe Harris is Susan Hanson, who played Crossroads fan favourite Miss Diane. Lloyd Griffith is Paul Henry, who for over a decade played Crossroads’ handyman Benny.

Con O’Neill also joins the cast as Jack Barton, producer of Crossroads, and Tim Wallers plays Barton’s boss, and ATV’s Controller of Programming, Charles Denton. Bethany Antonia joins the cast as Poppy Ngomo, a young actor thrown into the world of Crossroads”.

Extracted from Crossroadsmotel.co.uk (Crossroads Appreciation Society site)

The cast of “Nolly”. There will also be actors cast as producers of the programme. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall when they had the big discussion about removing Noele from the series.

“Augustus Prew joins the cast as Tony Adams, Nolly’s Crossroads co-star, devoted friend, confidante, and occasional chauffeur. Emmy and BAFTA-winner Mark Gatiss joins as inimitable entertainer Larry Grayson, who also shared a close and enduring friendship with Gordon.

Richard Lintern is Ronnie Allen, who played Crossroads’ suave hotel manager David Hunter. Antonia Bernath is Jane Rossington, who starred in Crossroads as Jill Richardson, Meg’s daughter. Clare Foster is Sue Lloyd, who played Barbara, wife of hotel manager David. Chloe Harris is Susan Hanson, who played Crossroads fan favourite Miss Diane. Lloyd Griffith is Paul Henry, who for over a decade played Crossroads’ handyman Benny.

Con O’Neill also joins the cast as Jack Barton, producer of Crossroads, and Tim Wallers plays Barton’s boss, and ATV’s Controller of Programming, Charles Denton. Bethany Antonia joins the cast as Poppy Ngomo, a young actor thrown into the world of Crossroads”.

No part for an actor to play the part of John Bentley who was Meg's husband. John was a fine actor born in Sparkhill in 1916 and educated at King Edwards Camp Hill.

Could be interesting. Especially Mark Gatiss!

I once bid for a brass faced grandfather clock, that belonged to one of the Cadbury family at a house auction in the 70s (My Dad told me how much to bid up to), but I was heavily outbid by Jane Rossington (who played Jill Richardson), who obviously wanted it much more than we did and had a few more pound notes to play with. One of my very few claims to fame and my only bidding war with a TV star ;)!

Viv, there are a couple of similar windows in Gas Street, but not such a long run. Were the studios in that area then? I know they were in later years.
rosie.

I think it was said earlier on this thread they rehearsed in Bradford Street too, so there are a few possibilities. Viv.

Back