• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ghost signs of Birmingham

View attachment 158523The Lamp Works which will be filling the gap where the demolition revealed the ghost signs. No hope of saving them so go see whilst you may.
this is where the developers must have got the name from fro the new building thats going up called the lamp works..although the original lamp works was on the corner of gt hampton st and hockley st i guess its close enough

lamp works 2.jpglamp works great hampton st and hockley st.jpg

The developers/contractors on Great Hampton St now exposed the cellar and furnaces under part of the Lampworks and have done a cracking photo of the ghost sign I couldn't get from my side of the compound fence.
Any detail on Strawbridge (maybe an s but can't see the end) painter and glazier of 30 Great Hampton St will be most welcome!View attachment 159987
What a great find, that is brilliant.

The developers/contractors on Great Hampton St now exposed the cellar and furnaces under part of the Lampworks and have done a cracking photo of the ghost sign I couldn't get from my side of the compound fence.
Any detail on Strawbridge (maybe an s but can't see the end) painter and glazier of 30 Great Hampton St will be most welcome!View attachment 159987
its an old ghost sign...this from 1877 although its lovely to see these old sign revealed so sad that they will most likely go forever now

strawbridge . Birm gazette.   4.7.1877.jpg

its an old ghost sign...this from 1877 although its lovely to see these old sign revealed so sad that they will most likely go forever now

View attachment 160227
Such a wonderful look into our history, what & how things were! For me they conjure up what real life was back then, if we could only capture the moment.

The photos taken by Forum members are a blessing, they keep our history alive and available!

In September 1997 the Birmingham Post reports that Wimbush will take over the premises of what used to be Austin Reed on the corner of New Street and Cannon Street. The present Google Earth picture doesn’t give any idea of what may have been written above the window on the corner.
some general insurance company ltd which hopefully someone else can trace to the location as I can’t make out the precise name!
Screenshot_2021-08-12-17-34-17-255_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

I know its unusual for me to pop up here but I have just found this apologies if it has been posted before, its by the canal bridge on the Dudley Road, if you roll back on streetview it becomes clearer but thought I would leave you with how it looks today.

View attachment 160667
hi steve all along there recently demolished

lyn

I know its unusual for me to pop up here but I have just found this apologies if it has been posted before, its by the canal bridge on the Dudley Road, if you roll back on streetview it becomes clearer but thought I would leave you with how it looks today.

View attachment 160667
Looks as if it might have been written over an earlier sign

Also if you follow the wall along the road there is further writing.

more about Barker and Allen here

Attachments

• 2014 sign.JPG
    2014 sign.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 17
  • wall sign.JPG
    wall sign.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi, I found this ghost sign on the Dudley Road. The wall is partly demolished, but some sign remains. I think it may have been previously more than one sign? It's over the road (and a short distance away) from City Hospital. Also, just for info, it overlooks the canal.
Would anyone happen to know what the full sign would have said and what it relates to.
Thank you,
Andrea

Attachments

• Dudley Road ghost sign.jpg
    Dudley Road ghost sign.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 21
Andy
I have moved your post to this thread. you should look at posts 1353 and following posts. They are from Streetview. Yours is more recent

Back