• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ansells Brewery

Any of you remember my dad "Ramrod" Ron Timmins (also known as "Cowboy") or my Uncle, Sid Timmins who was the Ansells Youth Team Football Coach or my other Uncle David "Spuddy" Baker. They all worked as draymen in the 60's and early 70,s ?
My wife remembers Sid Timmins from when he worked at Ansells and before then at Geo Pike. Sid very kindly took my wife back to her parents house after her first office party at 16 and she got drunk. He made sure she was safe and sound before he left. She was very surprised to see him again at Ansells Aldrige He told her that it was him who took her home and she would not have known who it was otherwise. She never drunk after that day and has been tee total all of her life.

I remember Sid on the football side he was a very nice man. I may have a foto somewhere of him with the youth team.

index.php

Attachments

• IMG_20210423_142526.jpg
    IMG_20210423_142526.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 188
I meant the guy on the left of him in the photo behind Stan Yates head. The one you can only see the top half of his face. He was also a Brian who worked in the Brewery, I think Phase one and was a Union Rep. You must be Paul P, an excellent amateur footballer as I remember.

I meant the guy on the left of him in the photo behind Stan Yates head. The one you can only see the top half of his face. He was also a Brian who worked in the Brewery, I think Phase one and was a Union Rep. You must be Paul P, an excellent amateur footballer as I remember.
Yes, and thank you for the compliment.

I am trying to find out more about my great grandfather. He was a ’horse keeper’ at Ansells in 1911. His name was Richard Vickers. Are there any records of employees at Ansells around that time?

I still have at least a dozen bottles of this in the shed as well as one of the 1921 Brew for a new Ansell baby, who died as a child, and was bottled in 1959.

My dad worked at Aston Cross as a driver I believe from mid 60s until the early 80s he worked with Geoff Stubbs also known as stubby My dad was Billy Vaughan who paced away in December 2010 I used to play for the the youth team that was managed by Sid Timmons and coached and trained by Kenny Burns and Jimmy Calderwood, I recall training on a Thursday evening on the sand pitch which I believe had only one set of posts, that’s all I needed as I was a keeper, we used to stay in the social club afterwards while Kenny burns and jimmy Calderwood used to fill everyone in on all things Blues, No interest to me as I am and always have been from the claret and blue side, I do remember them getting severely drunk some Thursdays though,
I think I have a team photo with you on it outside the club. I also played for Ansells boys from age 12 all through to colts 3rd team 2nd team and 1st team. My dad worked for Ansells until he passed away in 1982.

I think I have a team photo with you on it outside the club. I also played for Ansells boys from age 12 all through to colts 3rd team 2nd team and 1st team. My dad worked for Ansells until he passed away in 1982.
Will pass these names on to Pete who was on the brewing at Aston Cross. He used to come home stinking of hops and wert I think it was called!!.

Back