• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Redhill Terrace, Hay Mills

Atherstonebrummie

proper brummie kid
Hi, I'm new to this site, but just wondered if anyone had any information or photos of Redhill Terrace, Hay Mills. Took a drive down Redhill Road recently and to Redhill Tavern, but couldn't place where Redhill Terrace would have been.
Thanks, Wendy:)

I don't think Redhill terrace was in Redhill road. Certainly the only one liste in the 1920 electoral rolls was in Arthur Road, off Redhill Road. There is Redhill terrace, then Arthur Terrace Arthur terrace coming from Redhill road on the left side . I think therefore that it must be the one in red on the 1905 map below. The name came from the area, not the road
Mike

redhill_terrace2C_arthur_road2C_map_c1905.JPG

Hi Mike , You are right the red line is or was Redhill terrace I was born in No 7 Redhill Terrace a home birth wouldn't get that today
. The Dump was at the top of the Arther Road.
I don't think Redhill terrace was in Redhill road. Certainly the only one liste in the 1920 electoral rolls was in Arthur Road, off Redhill Road. There is Redhill terrace, then Arthur Terrace Arthur terrace coming from Redhill road on the left side . I think therefore that it must be the one in red on the 1905 map below. The name came from the area, not the road
Mike

Last edited:
Hi marg
nice to know that mike as found your old home from years ago and i can tell you what mike did not tell you
when you went up arther rd last week you may remember the transport park with john butlin the transport wagons all parked in there well thats the excactspot your house was red hill terrace john butlin as been in hay mills for donkeys years so he as got the land now of red hill terrace he startted in arther rd many years ago at the botom end with one or two wagons they he his big
what i have just done got my young son anthony whom with his brother and friends used to play up there when they was kids at the red hil school
up by the dump and the allotments and we have just traced googleds st map from end to top
and actuly pin pointed it he as said thats where it was old buylin as got it now and if you went up past the school in francis rd the old bakery used to be there and old google map and pictures of there lorries now show ashbourns have a fleet of wagonns where the bread vans used to park for loading up
so now you know you have rediscovered your roots the houses on the fromt there used to be a chap an childrens enterainer with a motor bike and side car
i see old red hill is still standing with its air raid shelter in itand they have kept history of red hill in there with all the very old school tables you used to sit at best wishes astonian

Hi Marg

Thank you for this information. My great grandparents - Lizzie and Jim Roach, lived at number 9 Redhill Terrace. Lizzie was there, if I remember correctly, up until the early 70's and worked as a barmaid (in her 90's) in Redhill Tavern! Do you remember her? Must have been next door-but-one to you at number 7. I took a drive around there on Friday and thought Redhill Terrace must have stood where the yard is now. Do you know when the houses were demolished?

Thanks, Wendy

Hi Astonian

Thank you for all this information. We looked on google maps and we did think Redhill Terrace was where all the lorries were parked. The air raid shelter you mention, is that in the grounds of the school or the tavern?

Thanks
Wendy

HI Atherstone
I Am happy to hear that you found your way around on the google street mapping my sons and daughters grew up with all the kids around there
and my daughter is in her late thirtys and she as kept in touch with most of the kids whom was growing up in francis rd and red hill and george rd and of course
both ends of speedwell rdand they went to red hill school we lived at 868 cov rd which was oppersite rooted car factory before ASDA came on the scene and before the new coventry rd was made wider yes atherstone the old air raid shelter is still there in the schol play ground for you to see when pasing the school
and when youlooked on google map at the junction of kings rd next to the houses you would have seen a big high arch way by the bushes
well there is the play garden my daughter asked when she was ten and not eight as i asked her the other day when she wrote to the libaral mp for hay mills at the time
much toour surprize he came to our house in speedwell rd at a evening and lord and behold she got what she requested the council said yes and they built it and put all the park
with swings and slides and round abouts sadly 12 months down the rd the youth started to meet up and do drugs and drink and they left in a mess
by the time my daughterr grew up we moved on and the council just left it as a garden but over grown but yes the air raid shelter stil oholds a#ll the yesterday class fitting all sealed up it his so no one can break into it best wishes astonian

Hi i lived at No 12 arther Terrace from 1948 to 1957. The opening to the terrace was just to the right of the street light. As I remember it the shepherds lived at number seven Redhill Terrace Washingtons at number 8 moles at number 12 Parkers at number 13. At number 14 arther Terrace lived the lights at number 13 the actons myself at 12 Chandlers at 11 piles at 10 tailors at eight. There was a transport company at the top of the road owned by Gopsils who lived at number one arther terrace. When I first moved into the terrace they transported by horse and cart it was only at the beginning of the 50s that they changed to lorries. They delivered boxes of crisps for Smith's of tyseley. Arthur Road was a cul-de-sac and ended at the clay pit, there was a brick works in amington Road that used the clay. Very often our houses would shake when they were dynamiting in the in the pit. I don't know when the terrace was knocked down but I have been told that the whole lot after demolition was put down the clay pit to help fill it up. At the corner of the road there was a shop that was run by Mrs Johnson who was very friendly with my mother. The air raid shelter was in the school playground the entrance was bricked up. I hope this helps.

Hi Podgery
We lived at No 7 Redhill Terrace I am Margaret Sheppard you would have been the same age as our Cyril. I remember been in that house it still had the old black range, a very friedly old woman sat by the fire she told me how the range worked and she still made bread in it might have been your grandmother.
marg1952

HiMarg hello hope you're well, I was so surprised to hear from you yes I can remember Cyril very well we played a lot together when we were young. I have tried to locate him on Facebook and friends reunited but I have had no joy. Can you remember some of the people that I have mentioned? It seems a long time ago since I and the other lads in the terrace were playing football in the road can you remember the goalposts painted on the factory wall you can still see them today. Yes my grandparents did live at number seven before the war with my mother and her sisters and brothers I don't know what year they moved out.

Pogery

My aunt Eileen (91yo), lived at No.6 Red Hill Terrace from about 1934 to about 1945. Her family were the Pittaways. She had two brothers Alfred and Ernie. She believes that the Stanleys lived at No. 1. She remembers the Piles and she thinks she lived next door to the Rodgers. She also remembers a 'Big Eileen'. She also remembers the Grices(?)- a family of mother, father and three other people. She went to Red Hill Primary and her father drank at the Red Hill pub. She remember the Adelphi cinema and much more. I have travelled with her via Google maps and Virtual Reality many times as it helps me to understand her stories and the family history.

Hi Eileen welcome. I can throw some names at you of people that I think were living in the terrace before and through the war. Redhill terrace 2, the Cox family, 3, Webb & Turners, 7, Rudge (my grandparents ) 8, Washington, 12, mole, 13, Parker, Arthur Terrace which was opposite 1, Gopsill, 2, Burrows, 6, Turner, 9 Saunders, 10, Pile 11, Chandler, Those are the names I can remember. The picture is looking down the middle of Redhill & Arthur Terrace Hope this helps and your Aunt remembers some of the names

Attachments

• H123 mk477.jpg
    H123 mk477.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 27
Hi Podgery,
Thank you so much for replying. My aunt remembers the following -
- the Turners
- the Rudges (were there lots of kids?)
- the Gopsills,
- the Piles, (Eileen remembers her father (Ernie Pittaway) saving a young girl, their daughter, who had somehow caught fire. Eileen's father grabbed the girl and wrapped her in a mat off the wringer in the yard to put out the flames.)
Great photo!

Hi Eileen, Rudge as I said were my Grand parents yes there were a lot of kids 6 Girls one was my mother & 2 boys. How they all lived in that tiny house I will never know, and believe it or not they also had a lodger living there. We moved to 12 Arthur Terrace in 1948 2 doors away from the piles and I new them well. I have another photo of the terrace but can't find it at the mo but I will post it when when I do.

This one attached is 1935.
The first of the previous ones is 1939 and the second one is from 1945.

Attachments

• Electoral roll 1935 with Rudges.JPG
    Electoral roll 1935 with Rudges.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 7
Back