• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Typhoo Tea Bordesley Street Digbeth

Another two of the back. I wonder would they have brought the tea in by barge in the early days. Dek

Hi Guys
Today I have read and seen the old typoo tea factory as been finalised and to be turned into a
Birmingham uni. Campus after all these years typoo was part of Birmingham history way down on the corner
Of bordesly street and employed hundreds of workers
I seen the photo of the land and part of the old building still standing the photo they have taken is
From the corner of was was number 1 New canal street looking into the side of the typoo factory
What I could not understand why did the council put a compulsory purchase on that front land at the corner
New canal street and bordesly street, all that front car park space you see was my grand parents and my mothers
Business from one end to the other right through to what was the hide and skin yard
It was also a bed and breakfast boarding for the trades people that brought goods and cattle and of course
The long distance lorry drivers whom delivered to typoo and of course there was a lard producing factory facing it
It was my mothers home from a very early years as a child leaving Parliament street Aston to this
New canal street and where she met and married my mother at the tender age of 14/15
It had a little garden and garage adjoining typoo I often went in with grand dad or my father to fetch on of there three
Wheeler vans which took provisions around to all there business and catering bussines
I spent many hours at that place ,mainly on a Saturday and Sunday playing with butch there dog
I wished my mother had been alive today and I would have asked her what she thought of it nan died in 1955
Grand father Ernest held died in 1969
When I was a nipper up there ,it had a little red stand for fire service and it had a little hammer inside the glass
Which said on it in case of fire smash the glass and used the little hammer
But I say to my self why did it takes so long to rebuild it it must be at least thirty years standing empty
Does anybody ever recall any members of there family working there
Best wishes Astonian,,,, Alan,,,,,,,,,

Re: Birmingham typhoon tea makers of bordesly street digbeth

It hasn't been empty that long. I worked in that building up until April 2001 when the company I worked for closed down. At the time they were only using about half of the building and the other was either a furniture company or extra storage space for Latif's opposite. I don't remember which if either of them was still using it when we pulled out.
As to the news that it will now be redeveloped/restored ... well, that's been said so many times before that I'll believe it when I see it.

My great grandparents lived opposite it Alan, will ask mom more about it, don't think they worked there though.
Sue

I was surprised to find out some years back that my dad's first job in Birmingham was at Typhoo there. He would have been a shop steward/union rep in the early to mid 60s. I can't find out any more than that - he died without mentioning it again.

I worked there in the Teabag room during the early 70s. packing the boxes. That's where i met my hubby he worked in the blend. We would meet up every morning in the canteen, have a chat then he finally plucked up the courage to ask me out. Of course i accepted and we were married just over 9 weeks later.

Hi sue
There's every chance they would have known my grand parents and my mother she was there only child
Right on the very corner house and coffee shop which was right next door to the factory
The houses where I think you mean was oppersite the factory walking up the street just passing them was a factory that made lard and then there was another building which openened up as a cafe this was around the late fifths or early sixtys they openened up but they never made trade and next to there in the early years in the fortys as a little yard where they sold petrol and paraffin
From the pumps it had two little pumps and a little hut for paying and some little chap would come out and serve you
These are the days when it cost about a shilling it was also facing the spotted dog pub on the other side of the road
The factory that latiffs took over and rebuilt was bombed in the war years the building stood empty for decades
All the windows was shattered out and they would have remembered the fire stand on the corner where you had to break the glass
And I am trying to recall the name of this big factory that was there before the war
It later moved and set up in constution hill its was a huge we'll k own factory
I wrote on here about that factory and stated its name ten years ago or more since I first started as a. Member on here
But at the moment I just cannot recall the name but I am sure one of our older member will recall there name the fire alarm stand
Was on the very corner at the top of the road right by the wall outside. Umber 1 my grand parents house
And if you walked along the new canal street towards fazely street by the traffic lights there was a big policeman,s call box
Where he would open a little door and speak to his police which is only along from digbeth station
They used to look like a tardis. To some people
Best wishes Susan, ,,,,,, Astonian,,,,Alan,,,

Typhoo Wharf seen from Fazeley Street in Digbeth in 2010. The old factory is at the back of the old canal wharf.

On the other side of the canal in 2015 I saw this graffiti street art (near where the Grand Union Canal meets the Digbeth Branch Canal).

Saw this in 2014 alongside the Grand Union Canal. Opposite The Bond.

My sister worked there for one morning.
She was 17 ,pregnant and newly married ,she came home in tears saying how horrible the other women were to her and were swearing all the time.
I don't think we were brought up in a sheltered situation but my sister had only worked in an office where she was treated extra well (they bought her a brand new bike for 16th birthday !).
Maybe it would have been different had she worked alongside the young ladies in post#10.
Cheers Tim

I was told by somebody who worked at Typhoo there was a danger of finding spiders with the tea. It came in cases and was wrapped in foil and when opened released the odd arachnid trapped there. Some spiders brought to England in this way had poisonous bites and there were workers who needed urgent hospital treatment after spider bites. I also gather that workers unpacking the tea received cash payments for discovering and destroying such creatures.

From what I remember, those wooden counters were at the front of the building just above reception but when I looked at the building last saturday morning those windows were covered in green netting. Amazing there's anything left of the counters.
What'd the lower floor look like?

Thanks Rosary Boy.
I think since Latif's moved into part of it, the place is locked up as tight as a drum.

As I remember it, latif's used to use the other half as storage before the furniture wholesalers moved in. That was sometime in the 80s or 90s. The current state has happened this century. These pictures seem to have come from the Rose's bit of the building. I don't know what the bit next to it looks like inside but it's been through a lot of owners/tenants since Latif's Most recent seem to have been a couple of schools. According to google maps it's Birmingham Training Academy, Blundell Trading, and London School of Science and Technology - (Birmingham Digbeth Campus). The signs also include Fairfield School of Business and Milson Holdings. I don't know how many actually used the place but someone seems to have converted it into something.

Hi I was wondering if anyone who worked at typhoo know a Christine stokes or a Frank laurder who worked there in the 1960/70 as iam looking for my dad Frank laurder he worked there

Back