• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hovel Jerry’s Lane Erdington

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Afew years back in time in erdington there was an old hovel and it was sold for 50,000 pounds
It is estimated that it would have sold for the equivervalent of two and half pence at the time
It was built in andariund 1801 it was last lived in ,in 1992
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,,

Alan, that's correct the hovel is in Jerrys Lane on a small holding, I can remember it quite well before they did it up. My dad said a very old lady who smoked a clay pipe used to live there once.

on street view if you turn into jerrys lane from turfpits lane just a little way up on the right behind wooden fencing i can just see the roof and chimney top of an old building...would that be the hovel ??

lyn

thanks froth very interesting bit of history i may take a look at this and the hovel as i am not far from them..OM i may need to go to spec savers as i cant see the stream you mentioned:rolleyes:

on street view if you turn into jerrys lane from turfpits lane just a little way up on the right behind wooden fencing i can just see the roof and chimney top of an old building...would that be the hovel ??

lyn
Hi Lyn, yes its right next to the yard with the skips. The small extension on its right-hand side was added when it was done up.

Alan, that's correct the hovel is in Jerrys Lane on a small holding, I can remember it quite well before they did it up. My dad said a very old lady who smoked a clay pipe used to live there once.

It is said that Jerry's Lane was named after, a chap I think would be my great Grandfather, Jeremiah Cutler who ran the Golden Cross and a market garden.

There may be something in that, Golden Cross was on the opposite side of the road and did have a another smallholding/market garden behind it. However the more modern Golden Cross that was demolished a few years ago also had extensive grounds and several rows of enormous greenhouses. I did often wonder I this was a market garden too.

It is said that Jerry's Lane was named after, a chap I think would be my great Grandfather, Jeremiah Cutler who ran the Golden Cross and a market garden.

that would be great pedrocut if it could be confirmed...

thanks mort i must take a look when i have time...

lyn

that would be great pedrocut if it could be confirmed...

thanks mort i must take a look when i have time...

lyn

Aston Police Court, September 1880....Jeremiah Cutler, landlord of the Golden Cross, Short Heath, Erdington, was summoned for keeping his house open during prohibited hours.

oh dear a lock in pedro:D as i said earlier it would be great if we can confirm that jerrys lane was named after your gt grandfather...stands a very good chance i would think

lyn

I have just picked up this thread, The Hovel was originally in the grounds of Joe Batemans plant nursery, he used it as a potting shed for many years. My father Fred Illingworth (47 Glendon Rd. ) was a friend of his and we used to buy cut flowers off him as well as seedlings. This was in the early 50's, then Joe got to old and sold the land to developers in the 70's. The land around the nursery was originally owned by the Batemans who ran a market garden from there and sold the produce in the old 'Old Bull Ring' market. Before the Batemans arrival, The Hovel was the home of the Biddle family who in the 60's and 70's had a branch of the family still living in Penns Lane (No 46 I think). I do not have any information regarding as and when the Biddles lived in the Hovel or for how long. I seem to believe that there was a bit of controversy regarding the old farm house that Joe lived in, the developers wanted to demolish it but the council planners said that it had to be saved and refurbished. I also have a recollection that the Batemans had something to do with the sand pits that where situated on the opposite side of Jerrys Lane, on the bend where Rayford Rd. branches off. There are houses on it know, shame really I used to play in there as a youngster.
Dill

thanks for that great info dill....does anyone happen to know if the hovel is still standing

lyn

Was until recently Lyn, although there is/was a development going on dangerously close next door. Here’s the latest Google Streetview - near to Streetly Road junction. Viv.

AA7800CE-71DC-4D60-98B9-8FE9282418BC.jpeg

And Google Satellite view.

2011E894-080A-492F-B68F-03E839D1CB8D.jpeg

Back