• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

JOJ was reserved for Birmingham Corporation buses so they had all 999 of those registrations. The buses were known as 'Birmingham Standards' as the order to re-equip after WWII was too big for one bus builder to handle all at once so the order was spread over several chasis, engine and body builders who built buses all to the same design. This was a Guy with Metro Cammell body work from the days when we built buses in the West Midlands.

I miss the whole lot, the buses, the conductors, the whole era. I remember riding the 11 and the 8, and seeing my cicty from inside and out. Far better days, with a brilliant bus system. Thanks for Wythall and Aldridge.
Gary, you are SO right! I used to take the 11 or 8 when my my friends were away in the summer, usually when I was ten or twelve. Those days are gone but we have the memories that are ours forever!

That is sad, Bob, sometimes went round twice, so exciting, later when coming on leave, you could catch a BCT bus every hour on the hour 24/7 365 days, inc Christmas and bank Holidays, such great service, long gone with the 2 postal delivery's on Sunday, and 2 on Christmas day. Paul

I hear that the Outer Circle is being split in two. Please tell me it's not true.
Yes but this is only temporary

11A will run Acocks Green to Perry Barr and a separate bus will run 11A Erdington to Acocks Green
11C will run Acocks Green to Erdington and a separate bus will run 11C Perry Barr to Acocks Green

So you will have to change buses if your journey goes through Acocks Green or past the overlap between Erdington and Perry Barr

The route of the 11C has also changed on Wellington Road to Perry Barr.

That is sad, Bob, sometimes went round twice, so exciting, later when coming on leave, you could catch a BCT bus every hour on the hour 24/7 365 days, inc Christmas and bank Holidays, such great service, long gone with the 2 postal delivery's on Sunday, and 2 on Christmas day. Paul
It is called "Progress"...makes you laugh doesn't it.

Now here's something to think about. Today, millions of buses, and Trains run on diesel, produced by oil producing countries. We have thousands of filling stations, selling oil and petrol and diesel products, we have hundreds of oil refineries, turning oil into diesel and petrol, Way back, a THEN government decided that we are going to go Electric, and not buy any more oil. petrol, or diesel; and the current government are in agreement with that plan. So, what response do you think that these oil producing countries are going to have, when we say, we don't want any more of your product? A: Say OK thank you. B: What ever oil you DO want is going to cost you! or C: Stop the supply of oil to the UK. ?? China, and India, and so many more countries, will still buy the products; so where do you think WE, Great Britain will come on the list? OK so I am playing Devils Advocate with this question, but it makes you think......well, it makes me think anyway.

Hi everyone,new on here.I used to work for BCT from 1965 to 1985 as a shed youth at Washwood Heath garage Then Tyburn rd works then onto Acocks Green garage in 1974.I have a lot of good and happy memories of my time at all those wonderful places,working with some really nice people.I was wondering if there is anyone on here that worked at those places during those years.If so I would like to hear from you.

Hi everyone,new on here.I used to work for BCT from 1965 to 1985 as a shed youth at Washwood Heath garage Then Tyburn rd works then onto Acocks Green garage in 1974.I have a lot of good and happy memories of my time at all those wonderful places,working with some really nice people.I was wondering if there is anyone on here that worked at those places during those years.If so I would like to hear from you.
A lad I worked with name Mick Harper worked at Tyburn road until probably 1971 when he moved to Shell Mex and BP Kingsbury.

Back